• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Time Greatest Hurricanes XV

Yea it's crazy stuff, I think if you were looking at an all time NZ backline based purely on attacking qualities, it'd be hard to leave out any of these players (maybe bar Smith, but even still, his combo with Nonu is lethal).
And to think we couldn't win a ***le until last year...

Conrads one of the greatest centres of all time, incredible head on his shoulders. Might not have been the fastest or biggest guy on the park, but his mental fortitude, awareness, commitment & vision were unrivaled.

He'd be one of the first players I pick if I could take players from all era's and teams.

Here's a Crusaders one. I'm not a Crusaders fan, so forgive me if I make some errors.

1.Wyatt Crockett
2.Mark Hammett
3.Owen Franks
4.Chris Jack
5.Sam Whitelock
6.Brad Thorn
7.Richie McCaw(C)
8.Kieren Read
9.Justin Marshall
10.Daniel Carter
11.Nemani Nadolo
12.Aaron Mauger
13.Caleb Ralph
14.Rico Gear
15.Israel Dagg

Res. Greg Somerville, Corey Flynn, Joe Moody, Reuben Thorne, Scott Robinson, Andrew Mehrtens, Ryan Crotty, Leon McDonald.

There's actually so many good players left out as well.

I think maybe Laulala or Fruean at center (probs Laulala considering how consistently good he was for the 'Saders at center over maby years, though Fruean was a beast during his prime) rather than Ralph who'd be a 50/50 with Nadolo for the left wing, and I'd swap the Thorn with Thorne. As I suspected, that forward pack is immense.

Since we're throwing teams out there, might as well put in a Blues one...

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
3. Olo Brown
4. Ali Williams
5. Robin Brooke
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Michael Jones
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Ofisa Tonu'u
10. King Carlos
11. Caucau
12. Craig Innes
13. Isaia Toeava
14. Rockococo
15. Howlett

16. Keven Mealamu
17. Craig Dowd
18. Charlie Faumuiina
19. Patrick Tuipolotu
20. Xavier Rush
21. Steve Devine
22. Luke McAlister
23. Charles Piutau

Now this was a very tough one to pick and I expect a lot of debate over this side, especially in that damn backilne. The only lock in was Carlos at 10, and I found it very hard trying to fit guys in and get the right mix. In the centers there were Craig Innes, George Moala, Rene Ranger, Sam Tuitopu, Jared Payne, Benson Stanley, Eroni Clarke, Brian Lima, Iasaia Toeva, Francis Saili, Luke McAlister, Lee Stensness (anyone else?) who could all probs justify a spot in that midfield... then with the back 3 there was the dilemma of 4 legendary wingers - Howlett, Rockococo, Caucau and Joeli Vidiri. I figured there was no way I could leave out Howlett or Rocks, and Caucau was the most devastating, naturally gifted player I've seen and terrorized the comp for those couple seasons where he was in his prime... so had to pick him. That meant Doug had to go to fullback, which left no room for Piutau or Toeava at fullback, which led me to put Toeava at 13 as he was just as good there and imo is one of the most underrated players we've had and just too good to leave out. Then at 9 it was a toss up between Ofisa Tonu'u, Steve Devine, Mark Robinson and Taniela Moa, though I expect that in a couple seasons Augi Pulu will rightfully take this spot. It also felt a bit wrong not picking Kev at 2 considering his longevity, but it would be wrong to overlook Fitzy, as he's one of our all time greats and his 2 seasons were championship winning seasons.
So, who did I forget or what should be changed? I'm not a Blues fan so I probably forgot someone or missed a trick somewhere in this side. Regardless, I think this side is right up there with the Canes and Saders.... the forward pack is surprisingly incredibly strong and that backline could terrorize anyone on their day.

Last edited:

Latest posts