• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Am I doing enough for next season?

Hey guys,

so I'm going back to playing rugby and it's looking like I'll be at either 12 or 13. I haven't played in a while so I want to get a bit more muscle mass on before we go into pre season. I'm 6'0 and about 188 pounds. I don't really want to gain more weight, more turn my flab back into a bit of toned muscle.

Here's what I'm doing weights wise:
Exercise|Reps|Sets
Dumbbell lunge|12|3
Dumbbell Bench Press|12|3
Shoulder Press|12|3
Core Plank|100 seconds|3
Side Plank|60 Seconds|3
Standing Military Press|12|3
Dumbbell Bicep Curl|12|3

I have Hurling training twice a week and do a bit of running to take care of the cardio side. I do this program about 3 times a week. So, is it enough or should I be looking to do more?

Hi Feicarsinn,

lhprop1 has a point in his posts. If size (muscle mass) is all you want then by all means carry on with your programme and up your food intake (especially protein).

Training this way won't necessarily make you more powerful on the field however.

A bit of crystal ball gazing but if you lift this way and hurling training + cardio running is your training outside of the gym then more than likely your physique should improve on what it curently is, you'll gain a small amount of strength (compared to what you potentially could with another programme), your explosive power will probably plateau at what it is now (rather than increase) but your aerobic fitness will improve (at the expense of speed). A slight improvement all round.

It really depends what your goals are rugby-wise. If you're happy with the above crystal-ball scenario then all power to you, although beware that there have been many before you who may "look like a racehorse, but perform like a donkey".

If your aim is higher honours then you need to take note of some of what lhprop1 mentioned (especially in regards to developing off-season strength AND muscle mass). Developing power and speed is separate realm altogether.

I featured a piece of behind the scenes footage with the Canterbury Crusaders on my blog a couple of weeks ago and a short breakdown on what their emphasis was for this particular session. You may find it useful having another perspective.

Good luck and go well
YMR

My daily fitness regime is..... Power lift beer!, power lift macdonalds, sprint to toilet, repeat!

It works a treat!

I jest I'm a highly trained professional soldier, i do some fitness now and again!

Yep god forbid my kids ever support another inferior team, thats when talk of disowning get thrown around, I'm a bit too close to Newcastle Falcons at t moment. Don't get me wrong it's good to take the kids to watch the greatest sport on earth, but the day they cheer them over Sale is the day I get a visit from social services fr beating my children! :)

Latest posts