• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

am i too old

S

specjj

hi guys
im 17 and am new to rugby, i know this has probably been asked a million times before, but am i too old to get good at rugby?
cheers
J

Yes, far too old.
I mean, you've got your free bus pass coming soon, don't you?
And the arthritis must be a real annoyance.
The incontinence is not pleasant either.
How's the prostate...flairing up?

Don't worry, i'm sure that walking stick will help you through it all.

Seriously tho, yes you are too old.

hi guys
im 17 and am new to rugby, i know this has probably been asked a million times before, but am i too old to get good at rugby?
cheers
J
[/b]

Well considering John Hayes only started playing rugby at 18, I wouldn't say you're too old to get good at rugby, although a lot depends on how much effort you're willing to put in and do you have the talent to back it up.

On a more serious note, Chester Williams first started playing rugby at the age of 16. A few years later, he was busy winning the RWC with the Springboks in 1995.

Eddie Andrews was a big, fat, overweight bloke who decided to start to play some rugby, just to get into some sort of shape, on a social level. Because he was too fat for the social cricket side. And that was at age 19. And guess what? Seven years later, he was an international rugby player. A pretty crap one, but still.

And Frank Bunce was well into his 30`s when he made his All Black debut. Went on to become an absolute legend, the best centre of his generation by some distance. In fact, IMO, the best centre in the professional era.

So to answer your question, no you`re not too old. Not even close to being too old. If you`ve got the drive to put in the hours, you can easily still make it in rugby. But just realise that you`ll need to put in some extra effort, seeing as you`ve got a lot of catchup to do.

It depends on what exactly you mean by good. If you just want to play on social level then I don't see a problem. If you mean that you want to become a professional rugby player and play in RWC2011 then it depends. If you are physically fit and have some experience with other sports, then why not give it a try. If you want to switch from theoretical physics to professional rugby and never kicked a ball in your life before, then it will be more difficult :D , but you should definitely try. Good Luck!

P.S. I think most players in Georgian team started playing the game late. Some of them switched to rugby from other sports like wrestling and swimming.

17 is far too old. It's surprising that you can even type a comprehensible post through the fog of senility.

Tai McIsaac (the first choice hooker for the Western Force) played his first game of Rugby at the age of 23, and he has been a Wallaby...so no...not too old..

thanks a lot guys for all the help, i have now decided to join a rugby team and see how it goes
cheers!
jon

I'm 20 and I wel was playing rugby for 2 years and I have improved my skills but I am still the knock on machine of the team

so I think you are not to old

Latest posts