• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

American Football vs. Rugby

i know for a fact if someone came on here and started spewing useless bullshit about english people the staff would be up in arms to ban his ass. BUT on the other hand if it is about Americans not so much..
[/b]
It's a British run and created forum....deal with it...

poor americans, getting ganged up on in here. it's ok DC, you guys always end up saving the world anyway so who cares what happens in this forum.

<div class='quotemain'> You wouldn't walk into someone else's house and start fighting with someone would you? Therefore take it to the metaphorical outside.

It's obvious to us all who the protagonist has been, but there are now needless comments flying in left, right and centre. I'm trying to deal with this without getting offical and heavy-handed, it's up to you whether you choose to stop when asked nicely. It's not like I'll ask again. [/b]

Actually, if someone said that, yea i would.

And to be honest i think it's hypocritical of you to say "it's not like i'll ask again" because i know for a fact if someone came on here and started spewing useless bullshit about english people the staff would be up in arms to ban his ass. BUT on the other hand if it is about Americans not so much.. [/b][/quote]

Personally I wasn't online a great deal when the comments were posted, and so missed them at the time. Had you simply PMed any member of staff, appropriate action would have been taken. If you react in exactly the same manner however, you need to be warned about your conduct just as much as the protagonist.

I will remove the offending posts, and see this as the end of the matter. Arguing in a juvenile manner for everyone to see is not the way to solve any future issues. Highlight it discreetly and the problem will be dealt with far quicker.

<div class='quotemain'>
i know for a fact if someone came on here and started spewing useless bullshit about english people the staff would be up in arms to ban his ass. BUT on the other hand if it is about Americans not so much..
[/b]
It's a British run and created forum....deal with it... [/b][/quote]

Actually it was created by a New Zealander and an Australian, with the staff being pre-dominatly from there, but then they all got "lives" in the "real world" and sold it off so the balance of power shifted to the North.

ahh gig gig gig DC common were freinds right, calm down calm down.
Keep to the topic eh?

Hahaha boohoo DC!!!

Its not even worth trying to argue when your argument is fundamentally flawed from the start. You see, your problem is that you genuinely believe that Gridiron is a game of equal or greater merit than rugby. Sadly for you, this is not true.

You're preaching to the wrong audience if you're trying to change members of a RUGBY FORUM's minds about Rugby's superiority.

You - :wall: - :wah:

Rugby proponents - :bana:

Give it a rest, you won't win

<div class='quotemain'> You wouldn't walk into someone else's house and start fighting with someone would you? Therefore take it to the metaphorical outside.

It's obvious to us all who the protagonist has been, but there are now needless comments flying in left, right and centre. I'm trying to deal with this without getting offical and heavy-handed, it's up to you whether you choose to stop when asked nicely. It's not like I'll ask again. [/b]

Actually, if someone said that, yea i would.

And to be honest i think it's hypocritical of you to say "it's not like i'll ask again" because i know for a fact if someone came on here and started spewing useless bullshit about english people the staff would be up in arms to ban his ass. BUT on the other hand if it is about Americans not so much.. [/b][/quote]

Or maybe you could just ignore the bait and only reply to people who are genuinely interested in debating the strengths and weaknesses of both sports. Seriously, you were caught hook, line and sinker on this one DC, so why not just let it go and get back on topic?

Hahaha boohoo DC!!!

Its not even worth trying to argue when your argument is fundamentally flawed from the start. You see, your problem is that you genuinely believe that Gridiron is a game of equal or greater merit than rugby. Sadly for you, this is not true.

You're preaching to the wrong audience if you're trying to change members of a RUGBY FORUM's minds about Rugby's superiority.

[/b]

Actually im not trying to change anyones mind, im just telling you that football players are better athletes, bigger, faster, stronger if you will then rugby players.

Overall i like rugby better because i think it combines more ahletic qualities to be good at.

Learn to read before you post useless nonsense :rolleyes:

<div class='quotemain'> Hahaha boohoo DC!!!

[/b]

Actually im not trying to change anyones mind, im just telling you that football players are better athletes, bigger, faster, stronger if you will then rugby players.

Overall i like rugby better because i think it combines more ahletic qualities to be good at.

[/b][/quote]

Well what are you aiming to do by telling everyone a lie? Because all you will achieve is to create some very ****** off and disconcerted rugby fans.

Perhaps your definition of an athlete is different from my own, because there seem to be pretty equal proportions of extremely gifted and talented rugby and NFL players. Now by saying that those Americans are somehow far better athletes merely because they play football or were born in America (which is essentially what you're saying, why else would they be better athletes than rugby players?) is tantamount to preaching the racial superiority of Americans, which is bullsh** and is in itself highly flawed, as i'm pretty sure Americans have not evolved any further than anyone else or somehow are born with "magical" super athlete genes.

Also, athletes are generally considered to be very very fit, are all NFl players as fit as the average Rugby player, I think not

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Hahaha boohoo DC!!!

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well what are you aiming to do by telling everyone a lie? Because all you will achieve is to create some very ****** off and disconcerted rugby fans.

Perhaps your definition of an athlete is different from my own, because there seem to be pretty equal proportions of extremely gifted and talented rugby and NFL players. Now by saying that those Americans are somehow far better athletes merely because they play football or were born in America (which is essentially what you're saying, why else would they be better athletes than rugby players?) is tantamount to preaching the racial superiority of Americans, which is bullsh** and is in itself highly flawed, as i'm pretty sure Americans have not evolved any further than anyone else or somehow are born with "magical" super athlete genes.

Also, athletes are generally considered to be very very fit, are all NFl players as fit as the average Rugby player, I think not [/b][/quote]

Youre not even worthy to argue with, youre making up so much ****. to notice what i'm trying to say i'll put it in bold f***ing print for you.. THE AVERAGE NFL PLAYER IS f***ING BIGGER FASTER AND STRONGER THAN YOUR AVERAGE f***ING RUGBY PLAYER. I love rugby more than football, but if you compare the average say running back, receiver, linebacker, defensive back to the average rugby back you will find that the NFL guys are bigger faster and stronger. That has absolutely nothing to do with them being american. It's different training. Secondly, i say they are more athletic when it comes to how big fast and strong they are, they dont have the endurance or overall skills that rugby players have but if i put nfl players in a list i'd love to see you try to match their rugby counterparts who match them in how strong they are, how big they are, and how fast they are. You can't do it, simply because NFL PLAYERS TRAIN f***ING DIFFERENTLY THAN RUGBY PLAYERS DO.. if it was say south africa that had american football your guys would be big fast and strong as well, it's not some american specific thing like you are making it out to be.. rugby requires real interval endurance more than just short burst endurance that you see in the NFL, so that translates to NFL guys being able to be bigger, faster, and stronger, whereas if they needed more endurance that would not be attainable.

I honestly don't see what is so hard for you to understand..

Edit - Some unecessary insults removed.

And also you know why they are better athletes i will give you a list of NFL players with their stats you match them to their rugby counterparts. (And remember these stats are all from when they are collegiate amateurs prior to entering the NFL)

Calvin Johnson WR Detroit Lions:
6ft5in, 239 lb / 196cm 108kg
4.35s 40 yard dash
45in vertical (114cm)
335lb bench press
calvin-johnson.jpg

Vernon Davis TE San Fran 49ers
6ft3in, 253lb / 1.91m 115kg
4.38s 40 yard dash
42in vertical
Completed 33 repetitions of 225lbs
Bench Max 465lbs
Squat Max 685lbs
t1_davis.jpg

Julius Peppers DE Carolina Panthers
6ft7in, 283lb / 2.01m 128kg
4.5s 40 yard dash
35-37inch vertical
Bench press over 400lbs
julius-peppers.jpg

Terrell Owens WR Dallas Cowboys
6ft3in, 218lb / 1.91m 99kg
4.16s 40 yard dash
terrell_owens_france.jpg

I'm not anti rugby like you are trying to make me sound, in fact i enjoy it a million times more than football.. but you have to admit that NFL players are bigger, faster, and stronger than rugby players, anyone who says otherwise is out of their mind.

Here is an article written about it.. and it sums it up pretty much:
http://www.ballsout.com/art_rugbynfl.htm

There is only one false fact to my knowledge and that is that the players doing the 40yard dash get a running start, they dont.

The article also clearly states exactly what ive been saying..

whereas the nfl guys are bigger,faster, and stronger the rugby guys contain more skill, knowledge, technique, and endurance than the nfl guys

so basically

NFL are bigger, faster, and stronger

Rugby are more skilled, more knowledgable, have better technique, and more endurance.

And thats it. And it really annoys me when you claim that i believe that football has greater merit than rugby, because if i felt this way i wouldnt be playing rugby, in fact rugby is the sport i love and want to go far in..

Just out of interest, what is the drug testing system like in the NFL?

Now I'm not making any accusations, but due to certain cases which have recently come to light against US sprinters, you can't help but feel that there may be some substance use hidden under all the statistics.

But I don't know enough about how players are tested to say that this is definately the case.

And also you know why they are better athletes i will give you a list of NFL players with their stats you match them to their rugby counterparts. (And remember these stats are all from when they are collegiate amateurs prior to entering the NFL)I'm not anti rugby like you are trying to make me sound, in fact i enjoy it a million times more than football.. but you have to admit that NFL players are bigger, faster, and stronger than rugby players, anyone who says otherwise is out of their mind.

Here is an article written about it.. and it sums it up pretty much:
http://www.ballsout.com/art_rugbynfl.htm

There is only one false fact to my knowledge and that is that the players doing the 40yard dash get a running start, they dont. [/b]
It's good to get annoyed.

Two things about the article - it points up that American football has been professional for a lot longer than rugby, so the college preparation is naturally way in advance. Maybe too far in advance - those photos are a bit ... Linford Christie.

Second, US rugby is desperate to get NFL wannabees in to its ranks! G'luck.

That was one of the first things Nigel Melville did when he got behind the wheel at USA Rugby, accelerate the program to hire those who didn't make the grade in College Rugby. These guys would be flipping burgers at McDonalds now if it wasn't for USA Rugby!!!

Just out of interest, what is the drug testing system like in the NFL?

Now I'm not making any accusations, but due to certain cases which have recently come to light against US sprinters, you can't help but feel that there may be some substance use hidden under all the statistics.

But I don't know enough about how players are tested to say that this is definately the case. [/b]

I think there may be a high use of steroids in the NFL as well but i am not sure. All i really know about the policy for testing is that the players are selected at random and tested year round, besides that im not to sure. I really don't like steroids in sports at all, i wish people would just not use them or HGH or any of that other stuff and make it a true test of natural strength vs natural strength.

DC, can you please show all those stats with the metric system please. For all those members, like me, who suck at math.

BTW one of my friends plays prop for the U19 Blue Bulls, and when I saw his team mates I just started shaking my head. These guys were massive.

So if what you're telling us is true, those guys must be super human, or trained to the peak of capabilities.

Oh and just for interests sake, have you ever meet/stood next to an international rugby player and/or a NFL player?

DC, can you please show all those stats with the metric system please. For all those members, like me, who suck at math.

BTW one of my friends plays prop for the U19 Blue Bulls, and when I saw his team mates I just started shaking my head. These guys were massive.

So if what you're telling us is true, those guys must be super human, or trained to the peak of capabilities.

Oh and just for interests sake, have you ever meet/stood next to an international rugby player and/or a NFL player?

those chumps get millions and millions of dollars, i should think they shoud be superior in size speed and strength. Their the best players for thier states of how many millions in each state. theres porbibly more players in the 1 state than all of NZ.

and ive seen a few games of NFL those players arent any bigger than most rugby teams apart from the fat ones. The massive dudes from the currie cup in south africa are giants compared to most NFL players and way harder too

Latest posts