• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

American Pro League Announced

Please please please tell me WR have had the wit to ensure it is run by franchises/regions/provinces which are under the national union(s) umbrella(s)!

Please please please tell me WR have had the wit to ensure it is run by franchises/regions/provinces which are under the national union(s) umbrella(s)!

The US has some pretty substantial laws regarding sports leagues. Pro leagues have to be separate from the governing boy.

The US has some pretty substantial laws regarding sports leagues. Pro leagues have to be separate from the governing boy.

Is the NFL not the corporate entity of the league and governing body of the league?

I feel, a strong game in North America can only be a good thing for the international game

Is the NFL not the corporate entity of the league and governing body of the league?

Yes but it's not the governing body of the sport. It far overshadows anything else and does what it wants, but it has no responsibility for anything but themselves. They also can't prevent another football league from starting other than by direct competition, which has happened a few times.

You can see this with different sports in North America, usually the governing body looks after amateur sports and leaves the professional game to the leagues.

USA Football is the governing body, NFL is the professional League.
USA Hockey and Hockey Canada > NHL
USSF and Soccer Canada > MLS.
USA Basketball and Canada Basketball > NBA

Same thing in Canada, Football Canada > CFL

I'm somewhat unclear on the actual laws and what they mean, but essentially a professional league has to be a separate entity. Now I imagine that in order to have the greatest chance to succeed that PRO Rugby will try to work closely with USAR and RC, because they are the entirety of existing rugby. But I don't think USAR and RC can actually run the league themselves.

I find it pretty confusing + strange, that there's almost zro information available. They want to start in half a year, not ten years...

Sacramento confirmed as the first team:

PRO Rugby is pleased to announce that a professional Rugby team will be based in Sacramento, California. Games will be played at Bonney Field starting in April, 2016. A press conference is scheduled to be held at Bonney Field on Tuesday, November 17th at 2pm. PRO Rugby welcomes the first of six teams for our Inaugural Year.

From their facebook.

I think this is great for the sport. To grow rugby it needs to be played professionally in as many countries as possible. The inclusion of a Japanese based side and an Argentina based team in the Super 15 is another step in the right direction. Great news!

This is excellent news for rugby. Is there much funding for it? Given the brevity of a top flight rugby player's career, I would imagine that players from Europe and SANZAR will keep an eye on developments within the American league as they approach retirement.

Latest posts