• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

An Important Idea

M

Mr. Laxative

This is an idea that I have been mulling over in my head for quite some time now. The question I asked my self was this: "How can stats affect a game more, particularly in terms of speed?"

Well, finally an answer! Here it goes, and I bloody well hope EA listen to it.

When players are sprinting they very rarely seem to slow down, and some props can match wingers, which is highly unrealistic. Stats should affect this factor far more than normal. I think that firstly, Acceleration needs to become a time stat rather than a number out of 100. This time would be the players normal accel time. Then, sprinting. How long can a player run at full speed before slowing down? This should have a time metre in the stats as well - like acceleration. Top speed should also be determined and be more variable between players.

In game this would be affected by stamina, which would run out depending on the fitness stat and work load during a match. Thus, accel time or top speed could be affected.

This is an idea that simply must be in the game - just for realism.

Now, what I want is your help..... refine this idea and add on bits in terms of stats that affect the game.

Then I will post it again on the EA Sports UK Forum....

Errr... Which props have you found that match wingers? I'm gonna sign them for my world league if they do exist.

It's an idea, maybe not an important idea deserving of it's own thread though. For an idea to really be important, you need to have the general concencus of many people that it's important, not just declare it so as the guy who came up with it.

My opinion though? EA only need fine tuning on what they already have, if there is too big a difference in the sprinting capabilites, defence will become a shambles. If you can't run down a wing with your 2nd five, or somewhat cut-off attacking angles by covering with a loose forward, then there'll be a lot of unstoppable tries.

I'm happy with getting Rugby '06 with the early tackle cut out, more competitions, maybe even an option for multiplayer to allow two players to play with dead even teams, by equalising stats.

hmm.

you seem slightly naiive as to the nature of the ea sports uk forum.

they dont care what you, me or any of us really think on the whole, because they know you will buy it regradless.

and what do you think of the mental and form stuff of the players ?
i think its rather craply made by ea as the form is not considering the physical tireness of the players. to score tries improves their form but playing a lot of matches does not decrease it.

I think that a stamina stat would have a bearing on this. Although lets face it - most international rugby players will be able to sprint for reasonably prolonged amounts of time (5 - 12 seconds) multiple times during the game.

Also some forwards would be faster over very short distances compared to some backs. In my case I tend to start slower but then my top speed allows me to overtake other people that get a better start. There was a prop in my school rugby team who would always start faster than me but as his top speed was slower than mine I would always overhaul him.

But anyway back on track.

I think that EA has this part of the game done okay - for me no changes need to be made at this stage. I would prefer that they worked on other stuff first before re-looking at the acceleration/speed mechanics. Things like:

Lineouts - Jonah Lomu's are still better.

Mauls - do they even exist?

Rucks - can we please have at least some control over them?

Kicks at goal - surely they can have bit more than two button clicks?

Career Mode - it would be very cool to manage a Super 14 side, and then internationals.

Classic tests and classic players - they have it for FIFA - why not for rugby as well?

A decent player editor - with numbers instead of a slidey bar. That way hair = 3; face = 25; nose = 34 etc would equal Jonah Lomu for ultra quick creation of players.

Faster Menus - changing players are sooooo slooooow.

A Pick-Up Game - this would be where the two gamers take turns picking players from the DB and then get to play each other's team. So it would be easy to create special teams like North XV vs South XV or World XV vs All Blacks or Backs vs Forwards or whatever you could come up with. With this mode the AI could be made to choose a team or you could choose for it.

you forgot the MOST IMPORTANT OPTION : THE ABILITY TO CHANGE THE BUTTONS !!!!! f*** EA its so crap to use L1 and L2 for the passes with and usb Playstation pad !!!
btw i find scrums unwinable in elite mode, which i find crap ! mauls are casi unexisting (the only way to have is on lineouts)

I think the button thing is able to be overcome by having the game on computer. Also players to slow down after a while, they start to jog. Its isnt the most realistic thing ever but they have a budget and a system that is already popular and it isnt one of their major concerns.

Thanks to whiever changed the ***le of this thread by the way. It makes me look like I'm half my age...

Thanks to whiever changed the ***le of this thread by the way. It makes me look like I'm half my age...
[/b]

is "mr laxatives" thread not getting the respect it deserves?

I think the button thing is able to be overcome by having the game on computer. Also players to slow down after a while, they start to jog. Its isnt the most realistic thing ever but they have a budget and a system that is already popular and it isnt one of their major concerns.
[/b]

nah you can't edit the buttons on pc (even woosaah couldn't make it work).

Latest posts