• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew Mehrtens Discussion

He didn't have the mental killer instinct in the '95 final.....

Played well everywhere else though.

Andrew Mehrtens deserves to be highly considered for the hall of fame, although I feel that Carter being close to the worlds best player has made an impression that has made people forget.

In his day though, he could control a match better than Grant Fox, and thats saying something!

without doubt one of the best to wear the black jersey.

he was a fine player indeed at all levels and was a class above the rest even in his later years where he got picked for the abs based on only a few games in super 12 and the abs trial.

he definetely belongs in such company as the great grant fox and some would argue he was even better than fox.

I agree with Esoj. Although I would rate him slightly higher than Grant Fox. He came from that wonderful rugby era which spawned the likes of Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, just to name a few. And definitely deserves to be considered into the Hall of Fame without a doubt.

Originally posted by Amy Iversen@Jul 19 2006, 09:34 AM
I agree with Esoj. Although I would rate him slightly higher than Grant Fox. He came from that wonderful rugby era which spawned the likes of Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, just to name a few. And definitely deserves to be considered into the Hall of Fame without a doubt.
Welcome Amy to TRF....i take it you are Craig's partner????

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Jul 19 2006, 09:39 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Amy Iversen
@Jul 19 2006, 09:34 AM
I agree with Esoj.  Although I would rate him slightly higher than Grant Fox.  He came from that wonderful rugby era which spawned the likes of Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, just to name a few. And definitely deserves to be considered into the Hall of Fame without a doubt.
Welcome Amy to TRF....i take it you are Craig's partner???? [/b]
Yeah, GG she is, (has day off today and she got her restricted before lunch, yay I have a chauffeur!!).

What gives though, she's agreeing with esoj! :p JK, esoj.

Hmmm I haven't said anything even though he is part of my signin.

He surely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame I mean what other player could get away with huge lambchop sideburns or pulling the fingers at a South African crowd when he got the winning kick (anyone got that clip). :lol:

But on a more serious note sure he didn't tackle like Carter does but he did have the respect of the senior players in whichever game he was in and could turn a game.

I mean look at that Super 12 final against the Brumbies were Ben Blair fumbled about 5 times and tries were scored off them. We were 35 points down and Mehrtens almost got us into a challenging postion with a couple of quick tries we just ran out of time.

I will forever blame Robbie Deans for the downfall of his career no matter how many ***les he helps Canterbury to.

So Mehrts comes from a golden era of rugby with Marshall, Cullen, Wilson, Lomu and many other great players. Too bad those burgers did us in at the 95 World Cup.

Latest posts