• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew Mehrtens Discussion

G

Gay-Guy

He didn't have the mental killer instinct in the '95 final.....

Played well everywhere else though.

C

C A Iversen

Andrew Mehrtens deserves to be highly considered for the hall of fame, although I feel that Carter being close to the worlds best player has made an impression that has made people forget.

In his day though, he could control a match better than Grant Fox, and thats saying something!

E

esoj

without doubt one of the best to wear the black jersey.

he was a fine player indeed at all levels and was a class above the rest even in his later years where he got picked for the abs based on only a few games in super 12 and the abs trial.

he definetely belongs in such company as the great grant fox and some would argue he was even better than fox.

A

Amy Iversen

I agree with Esoj. Although I would rate him slightly higher than Grant Fox. He came from that wonderful rugby era which spawned the likes of Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, just to name a few. And definitely deserves to be considered into the Hall of Fame without a doubt.

G

Gay-Guy

Originally posted by Amy Iversen@Jul 19 2006, 09:34 AM
I agree with Esoj. Although I would rate him slightly higher than Grant Fox. He came from that wonderful rugby era which spawned the likes of Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, just to name a few. And definitely deserves to be considered into the Hall of Fame without a doubt.
Welcome Amy to TRF....i take it you are Craig's partner????

C

C A Iversen

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Jul 19 2006, 09:39 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Amy Iversen
@Jul 19 2006, 09:34 AM
I agree with Esoj.  Although I would rate him slightly higher than Grant Fox.  He came from that wonderful rugby era which spawned the likes of Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, just to name a few. And definitely deserves to be considered into the Hall of Fame without a doubt.
Welcome Amy to TRF....i take it you are Craig's partner???? [/b]
Yeah, GG she is, (has day off today and she got her restricted before lunch, yay I have a chauffeur!!).

What gives though, she's agreeing with esoj! :p JK, esoj.

M

Mehrtsisagod

Hmmm I haven't said anything even though he is part of my signin.

He surely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame I mean what other player could get away with huge lambchop sideburns or pulling the fingers at a South African crowd when he got the winning kick (anyone got that clip). :lol:

But on a more serious note sure he didn't tackle like Carter does but he did have the respect of the senior players in whichever game he was in and could turn a game.

I mean look at that Super 12 final against the Brumbies were Ben Blair fumbled about 5 times and tries were scored off them. We were 35 points down and Mehrtens almost got us into a challenging postion with a couple of quick tries we just ran out of time.

I will forever blame Robbie Deans for the downfall of his career no matter how many titles he helps Canterbury to.

So Mehrts comes from a golden era of rugby with Marshall, Cullen, Wilson, Lomu and many other great players. Too bad those burgers did us in at the 95 World Cup.