• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andy Farrell to Retire at the End of the season

G

getofmeland

Andy Farrell will retire from Rugby at the end of the season, according to BBC Sport.

More Soon when it comes in

Prime example of a fantastic rugby league player following the money to union when it was far too late on in his career. I hope he is remembered for his achievements with Wigan and Great Britain rather than the book-ending that was Saracens.

It's a lesson for us all that if a RL convert with no previous union experience tries to make the switch at a late stage of his career, it is never going to work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 7 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Prime example of a fantastic rugby league player following the money to union when it was far too late on in his career. I hope he is remembered for his achievements with Wigan and Great Britain rather than the book-ending that was Saracens.

It's a lesson for us all that if a RL convert with no previous union experience tries to make the switch at a late stage of his career, it is never going to work.[/b]

I think Farrell could of done a lot better had he gotten a wiff of Johnny Wilkinson disease prior to starting his tenure at saracens. I mean the man basically didn't play for two years after a series of injuries and then a car accident.

Farrell is a RL great, end of. Frankly his time in RU was as pointless as a eskimo wiearing a burka.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Apr 7 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Farrell is a RL great, end of. Frankly his time in RU was as pointless as a eskimo wiearing a burka.[/b]
What if this "eskimo" was visiting a mosque in a foreign country? Not so pointless, eh?
So, I'd say, if Andy Farrell relocated to Northern Canada, and built a Mosque his whole move to Saracens and RU would be validated.

Genuine Wigan and RL legend.

His RU career(?) however was a major disappointment. Still... why anyone thought a RL Prop (which is where he was playing at the end of his time at Wigan) would make a good RU centre is totally beyond me.

I will remember his time in the cherry and white with great affection.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Apr 7 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Genuine Wigan and RL legend.

His RU career(?) however was a major disappointment. Still... why anyone thought a RL Prop (which is where he was playing at the end of his time at Wigan) would make a good RU centre is totally beyond me.

I will remember his time in the cherry and white with great affection.[/b]

Exactly. This is the same reason I'm not sure about SBW, because his skill set is basically crash-ball and offloads, which is limited when you think of an average RU centre.

A lot of Union people have snobbed and will always snob about League, and they're the first to criticise when a RL star comes to Union and doesn't make a huge impression. It's really not fair to expect every league convert to become major international stars even after a few years in RU, because we all know countless union players with stacks of talent who haven't made it at international level as well.

Fact is, Jason Robinson, Danny Williams, Lesely Vainikolo, Shontayne Hape, Mark Gasnier, Henry Paul, Ryan Cross, Mat Rogers, Lote Tuqiri and Wendell Sailor are just a few converts I can think of who have so far looked like being a relative success. Why? Positions might help out. All these guys played predominantly wing, centre or fullback in League. And that's where they played in Union. They're used to standing in a backline. All they had to learn to make the transition was rucking and kicking.

All these guys, plus a number of others, have featured regularly for their clubs since making the switch and some have even gone on to make it at international level. The ones like Farrell and Karl Pryce who failed were largely because of injuries. Apart from them, there are a few, like Chev Walker and arguably Timana Tahu who've flopped but then there are some 20/20 cricketers who can't cut it in Tests and vice versa, it's to be expected with different codes.

It also helps if the RL players have played Union before in life... look at Rocky Elsom one of 2 forwards I can think of who've made a successful transition. The other is Brad Thorn, who is the exception that proves the rule.

Maybe if Andy Farrell has played in the backrow during his time at Saracens he might have made a difference, although his injury list didn't really help matters. Speaking of Shontayne Hape I haven't heard anything about him this season for Bath(?) How is he doing? Is he injured?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Apr 7 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe if Andy Farrell has played in the backrow during his time at Saracens he might have made a difference, although his injury list didn't really help matters. Speaking of Shontayne Hape I haven't heard anything about him this season for Bath(?) How is he doing? Is he injured?[/b]

well he spent time finding his feet, but he's been starting at 12 and really has looked good, especially offloading out of the tackle.

Legend. Will be missed :(

Would be missed even more if the Gaffer had ignored Andy Robinson and kept him at Flanker...

cant say im horrified by this news. just wish he could have contributed more after his brilliance in RL. never really gave anything exciting for sarries or england

Well, i was tipping him to make a late surge into the Lions Tour. That was after the bang on the head.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Speaking of Shontayne Hape I haven't heard anything about him this season for Bath(?) How is he doing? Is he injured?[/b]

No, he always talks with a limp and runs with a lisp :D

Latest posts