• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another northern union club cops for it

S

St Helens RLFC

I once again back up my claim that rugby union is being beaten Southward more and more every season in England. Long may this trend continue!

Wakefield cease to exist

Wakefield will no longer play competitive rugby following their relegation to National League Two.
Wakefield, who have spent 14 consecutive years in National League One, will now exist in name only.

The club will continue to pay their Rugby Football Union subscriptions and members hope that one day Wakefield can be resurrected at a lower level.

However, club secretary Roger Parkinson insists their is no merger with neighbours Sandal.

"It is a sad day for Wakefield," he told BBC Sport.

"It is purely financial. We have had some very generous contributors but they have said no more.

"There is no playing staff here whatsoever. The players and coaches have all found other clubs.

"The hope is that the members can get together a side in the future playing in Yorkshire league six and carry the name on."

Meanwhile, the RFU have decided that National League Two will operate as a 13-team league for next season with only two sides being relegated next summer.

I think it's going to have trouble being abolished as Union was created in England and also there are players like Wilkinson around to keep English Union alive.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC@Aug 7 2004, 05:35 AM
It will never die out, nor would I want it to.
You would.

You're like the Empire, we are the Rebel Alliance.

Darth Helens, Saint Vader. You cut Johnny Wilkinsons hand off, your own son, you swine! And that is why he kicks so pretty -- you should have cut off his boot.

Union uber alles!

Coffee is sooooooooo good.

meanwhile in the so called ''Stronghold'' of NZ, League is receiving a fate worse then death...

Having less popularity then the Football Kingz

<

I still can't believe the Brisbane Strikers lost to the Kingz. We should have made the top 4.

Wakefield was my favourite team when I used to play useless people on SJRL (don't know what they call this game outside of NZ). They can't get rid of them...they have an important purpose!!!

Not THAT Wakefield, the team that's gone bust is the Wakefield yawnion team.

Totally unrelated.

see this is the stupid thing about all these colonies both French and English is that they couldn't come up with a more inventive name then something they already knew. So everyone gets confused. Wakefield and Wakefield is a classic example.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Aug 16 2004, 07:12 AM
see this is the stupid thing about all these colonies both French and English is that they couldn't come up with a more inventive name then something they already knew. So everyone gets confused. Wakefield and Wakefield is a classic example.
That's right, when you travel in France you find a Montréal city every 200 km.

Latest posts