• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anybody ever hear of this happenening in Rugby (Union or League) ?

It even happens in our pro leagues... a few weeks ago the above goal was scored in spectacular fashion by Tomas Hertl, a Czech hockey player who plays for the San Jose Sharks in the NHL. Rather then celebrate the goal and commend this player for the amazing skill he displayed many pundits criticized him for supposedly "embarrassing the New York Rangers" it is professional sport FFS I think this is the type of thing we need to make the sport exciting and should be applauded, not frowned upon.

People are too soft nowadays and need to man the heck up, when I played ice hockey growing up, we were told to play hard every game and if we ran the score up well that was a good thing, nowadays we treat everything and everybody with kid gloves and it is turning our youth into a bunch of soft idiots...guess what kiddies, life isn't fair or equal, better to learn that lesson young IMO!

That was sweeeeeeet. Goalie burned to a cinder.

I agree, I've never gone with the whole "we've won so now lets be nice". Ive been on both sides of a hammering growing up and you learn a heck of a lot playing for/against a team that is dominating. Frankly, if you cant deal with getting stuffed every now and then, well then competitive sport may not be for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was sweeeeeeet. Goalie burned to a cinder.

I agree, I've never gone with the whole "we've won so now lets be nice". Ive been on both sides of a hammering growing up and you learn a heck of a lot playing for/against a team that is dominating. Frankly, if you cant deal with getting stuffed every now and then, well then competitive sport may not be for you.

At least some guys agreed...

"Hearing a question to Marleau about Hertl and whether he was showboating, Thornton said:
"Shut up, have you ever played the game?"
When the press turned his way, he then added:
"I'd have my cock out if I scored four goals. I'd have my cock out, stroking it."

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/10/10/4824950/joe-thornton-tomas-hertl-quote-four-goals

I have a decent experience with similar situations, last year my school was streets ahead of any other team we were playing and it led to us putting scores like 150-0 up our coaches and team expectation was that we kept going and not to let up IMO letting up would be disrespectful. The one thing I will say is that if the dominating team (or certain players) start showboating that would **** me off, and at that point the "bullying" claim might come into it. As for the original article I don't think that It could be considered bullying. I honestly don't think this should be much of a debate particular at Pro level like in that NHL video which was ****ing incredible BTW.

I read some **** in baseball too that wound me up, some dude Puig from the dodgers got a hit in quite an important moment in the playoffs and celebrated. the other team were whinging about it in the media, crazy stuff given they showboat and celebrate every single play in the NFL like they've won the Super Bowl.

Latest posts