• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anyone good with their words?

R

RC

Ok, so i like my words and i'm a nerd when it comes to philology, so if scrabble is your idea of a fun board game, then don't play against me...i don't have fun when i play that game.

Anyway, this helps bring up my point.
I just lost a game of scrabble becuase of the word 'Vulgo'.

Now i've looked in my 2,152 page New Oxford English Dictionary and it shows nothing.
I went to Dictionary.com and it's never heard of the word.
I visited thefreedictionary.com and no luck.
Webster's online dictionary have no english definitions but know what the word is in Latin, Portugese and Spanish!
I ventured to Cambridge's online dictionary (in both UK and US English) and no, nothing pertaining to the word VULGO showed up.
I asked jeeves (which is just ask.com now!) and they could only give me links to sites that have swedish and spanish definitions, French-vietnamese definition and a make of a tv.
I google the word and German sites come up or the urban dictionary comes up.

Now, I'm sorry, but are words from the "urban dictionary" allowed in scrabble these days?
Because, if that's the case then i could have easily thrown in 'roflcopter' for a 52 point word or '****a' for 23 points!

This is bullshit. I'm ****** off that i lost this game all because Facebook Scrabble says it exists.
So I'm turning to my fellow TRFers to help me out: Can you find me any links to any sites that'll prove this word exists?
More than anything I want to prove that this word is real because: -

1) I'm intrigued to find out what it means
2) I'll be happy using it in Scrabble in the future
3) I can finally put my mind to rest and accept that i was beaten - not duped out of a game. I'll be so much happier finding out that i lost fair and square, rather than losing because of some fatuous bint who wanted to spell "vulgar" but didn't have the 'a' and the 'r' so took her chance with an 'o'!

She didn't answer me either!
I asked, "What's 'Vulgo' supposed to mean?" to which she replied with, 'Hehe.'

I'm not such a happy bunny today!

You didn't lose, the other person cheated :p

It's been a while since last played, but if I recall correctly the scrabble rules state that a word can be challenged, if you think it's just made up. That just means you look it up in the dictionary, if it's not in it, then it's not considered a scrabble word. This is only when playing the actual board game I believe, not sure what the case would be when playing on line versions. You might want to check the rules of whatever version you were playing.

There's an entry on wikipedia for 'vulgo', but only in German and Italian, what I understand is that it's a word derived from Latin, or even just Latin, to denote that a person or term can be also known as something else (by the people/more commonly). One of the examples given:

Urinate, vulgo: take a ****
Matt, vulgo: Horsey (denotes a nickname)

Actually, the dictionary isn't ine the be all and end all, it's in fact the scrabble list which is the holy bible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 14 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Actually, the dictionary isn't ine the be all and end all, it's in fact the scrabble list which is the holy bible.[/b]

How did people play scrabble before internet? Not sure what part of your first sentence means tbh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_(Scrabble)
Without the difficulties of secondary triple flip ollie challenges, this is what I meant. Only forgot that you have to agree on a dictionary in advance.

vulgo means 'more commonly known as', something like that.

derives from the same latin word as vulgar, which originally meant 'of the people' (or something similar, I could be mistaken naturally XD)

I pride myself on using as many different words as possible all the time, and that's just totally new to me.

The bottom line as far as I know in Scrabble competitions you use the Oxford Dictionary. At least thats what Universities like Aberdeen Uni and Oxbridge use for their competitions so with my faith firmly placed in the British (and that includes Scotland and Wales) sense of fair play I believe that they use the Oxford Dictionary because it is the de-facto authority on the English language.

TL;DR summary: if Vulgo or whatever the bloody hell it is cannot be found in the Oxford Dictionary then it isn't admissible as a word in the game...

EDIT: that "official" scrabble dictionary I see is produced by the American Merriam-Webster group which doesn't have the reputation or the thoroughness of the Oxford dictionary.

Ah, I feel your pain, lost a game once because the word 'noter' wasn't accepted and I later found it in the Official Scrabble dicitonary.

I think you may also have been duped out of your victory.

If it isn't in an Oxford dictionary and there's no sign of it on dictionary.com then it isn't a word really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 14 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You sad ********.[/b]

I was gonna say something witty in reply but I then realised you're probably right.

So I'm going with "so's your face"

Sorry, Cyril, it's how adults with a reasonable IQ talk.

Go back to dressing like an elf, Nonu...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 14 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The bottom line as far as I know in Scrabble competitions you use the Oxford Dictionary. At least thats what Universities like Aberdeen Uni and Oxbridge use for their competitions so with my faith firmly placed in the British (and that includes Scotland and Wales) sense of fair play I believe that they use the Oxford Dictionary because it is the de-facto authority on the English language.

TL;DR summary: if Vulgo or whatever the bloody hell it is cannot be found in the Oxford Dictionary then it isn't admissible as a word in the game...

EDIT: that "official" scrabble dictionary I see is produced by the American Merriam-Webster group which doesn't have the reputation or the thoroughness of the Oxford dictionary.[/b]

I whole heartedly agree with that.
It should be based on the oxford dictionary as far as i'm concerned.
That's how ive always played it before going on facebook with the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 14 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry, Cyril, it's how adults with a reasonable IQ talk.

Go back to dressing like an elf, Nonu...[/b]
I apologise sir! I prevented myself from portraying a sophisticated demeanor on this issue as it would create a detrimental effect upon the 'nit-wit lothario' image I have mustered since the inception of my tenure on this humble board.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The bottom line as far as I know in Scrabble competitions you use the Oxford Dictionary.[/b]

Scrabble can be fun if you make your own rules. Rude word scrabble might be fun lol

Latest posts