• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina`s style

P

paco1

After watching Pumas` rehearsal against Chile (70-14) , it was interesting to see how the classic combined the deep foward drive with moments of great dynamic and flowng game. This can surely be a surprise, specially for Irealand who are used to a more static game against Argentina.

It will also boost the entretaintment value of this pool, even more.

Argentina crush Chile 2007-8-5 17:55Buenos Aires - Flyhalf Felipe Contepomi scored 25 points with a try and 10 conversions as Argentina crushed Chile 70-14 in their last home match before the World Cup in France starting next month.

The Pumas, who made 11 changes in the second half, ran in 10 tries including two each from fullback Federico Serra and flanker Juan Fernandez Lobbe against their weak trans-Andean neighbours in Saturday's Test.

Argentina fell behind twice early in the match when Chile wing Cristobal Berti intercepted two Contepomi passes to score tries, which he converted, but they fought back to lead 28-14 at the interval.

There was one negative note for coach Marcelo Loffreda. Centre Gonzalo Tiesi took a knock on the cheek and could miss the World Cup if there is a fracture, team sources said.

Argentina meet Wales in Cardiff in another Test on Aug 18. The also face Belgium, who will be reinforced by several French players, in their last warm-up on Aug 25 before playing hosts France in the World Cup's opening game in Paris on Sept 7.

Conti's still sending out the intercepts? That's the kind of flowing play I like!

The next match is going to be interesting - I can see the full Wales backrow getting at Pichot and Conti.

Argentina crush Chile 2007-8-5 17:55Buenos Aires - Flyhalf Felipe Contepomi scored 25 points with a try and 10 conversions as Argentina crushed Chile 70-14 in their last home match before the World Cup in France starting next month.

The Pumas, who made 11 changes in the second half, ran in 10 tries including two each from fullback Federico Serra and flanker Juan Fernandez Lobbe against their weak trans-Andean neighbours in Saturday's Test.

Argentina fell behind twice early in the match when Chile wing Cristobal Berti intercepted two Contepomi passes to score tries, which he converted, but they fought back to lead 28-14 at the interval.

There was one negative note for coach Marcelo Loffreda. Centre Gonzalo Tiesi took a knock on the cheek and could miss the World Cup if there is a fracture, team sources said.

Argentina meet Wales in Cardiff in another Test on Aug 18. The also face Belgium, who will be reinforced by several French players, in their last warm-up on Aug 25 before playing hosts France in the World Cup's opening game in Paris on Sept 7.

Conti's still sending out the intercepts? That's the kind of flowing play I like!

The next match is going to be interesting - I can see the full Wales backrow getting at Pichot and Conti.

[/b]

Neither Juan-Martin Hernandez nor Corletto or Tedechi played.

[/b]

Being Irish you must know that Contepomi has much more to offer rather that giving away interceptions. Regarding Wales game, if the welsh backrow gets something I`d be very surprised, after what I saw of them against England.

Besides, you know very well argentina can display flowing game. Do you remember Albanese in 99`?
Will Ireland try to make a driving maul with the 15 players or the ref will push too this time??

Did they have Contepomi at 10 or 12?

And Contepomi is a very good player, he comes up with great performances for Leinster very often.

Did they have Contepomi at 10 or 12?

And Contepomi is a very good player, he comes up with great performances for Leinster very often.
[/b]

At 10 in the 1st half. Then tiese was injured, he moved to 12, and Bosch (Biarritz) entered at 10. Cheers

He's a much better 10 in my opinion, he's alright at 12 for leinster when he has to cover when D'Arcy is gone, maybe its because ive never seen him with a quality fly half (Andy Dunne doesnt quite fit the quality fly half description for leinster) outside of him.

He's a much better 10 in my opinion, he's alright at 12 for leinster when he has to cover when D'Arcy is gone, maybe its because ive never seen him with a quality fly half (Andy Dunne doesnt quite fit the quality fly half description for leinster) outside of him.
[/b]

With the players eligible for Argentina RWC squad, i`d rather put him at 12. Like this

9 Pichot
10 Todeschini
11Corleto
12 Contepomi
13 Tiesi
14 Nunez Piosek
15 Hernandez

<div class='quotemain'> Conti's still sending out the intercepts? That's the kind of flowing play I like!

The next match is going to be interesting - I can see the full Wales backrow getting at Pichot and Conti.[/b]

Being Irish you must know that Contepomi has much more to offer rather that giving away interceptions. Regarding Wales game, if the welsh backrow gets something I`d be very surprised, after what I saw of them against England.

Besides, you know very well argentina can display flowing game. Do you remember Albanese in 99`?
Will Ireland try to make a driving maul with the 15 players or the ref will push too this time??
[/b][/quote]

He sure does, we know him very well. That's why Conti's going to get barbecued.

The Wales backrow for your match should be full strength, and they're very capable of turning up the pressure. Unless Arg murder them in the front five like England did.

I lost my voice after the 16 man shove at Lens 99 - so, no I don't want to see that. If your defence was holding out under that kind of pressure again, I'd expect a cross-kick to Shane Horgan #14.

This can surely be a surprise, specially for Irealand who are used to a more static game against Argentina. [/b]

Eh? you dont really believe that Irelands only knowledge of Argentinian rugby if from three - four years ago do you? You dont perhaps suspect that Ireland may well have videos of every international match you have played in past 3 years, moments from club matches that involve every Argentina player?

We certainly expect Argentina to have the same information on Ireland. Its modern professional rugby, there are very few surprises.

<div class='quotemain'> This can surely be a surprise, specially for Irealand who are used to a more static game against Argentina. [/b]

Eh? you dont really believe that Irelands only knowledge of Argentinian rugby if from three - four years ago do you? You dont perhaps suspect that Ireland may well have videos of every international match you have played in past 3 years, moments from club matches that involve every Argentina player?

We certainly expect Argentina to have the same information on Ireland. Its modern professional rugby, there are very few surprises.
[/b][/quote]

Of course I asume that. But as a rugby player you must know that one thing is the team strategy based on the information they have on the opponent, and another thing is the individual clashes arrround the field I meant that with the more dynamic style, other player will reach their full potential in the field with the argentinian colours. Namely, Hernandez, Tiesi, Nuñez Pioddek, Borges...

I'm looking forward to the forward clashes in the Ireland/Argentina match. The Argentians have a monster pack and improved backs, but I just feel if the Irish lads can show the fire and intensity evident in the opening 30 minutes of the first Argentinian summer match then we should have what it takes to win. This is going to be Ireland's final group match, so everything will depend on this result (qualifying top or second) so it's a winner take all. Best of luck to both sides though.

The thread is about Argentina's style - so:

Will Arg take quick ball off the top of the lineout and send it wide to try and break Ireland's midfield? Or will Conti/Hernandez kick high from scrum/ruck possession and let the winger's chase down? Or will it be a pick-and-go game through the pack, with points coming from penalties?

I think the first option is out. And Ireland will have to hit back in the first half against a forward grind, while the Arg #10 is under strict instructions to keep it tight for fear of intercepts. Ireland will score big before half time, and then the Conti/Hernandez calculations will unwind.

NB I'm guessing/hoping - not underestimating Arg, just recognizing Ireland's quality.

What do you think?

The thread is about Argentina's style - so:

Will Arg take quick ball off the top of the lineout and send it wide to try and break Ireland's midfield? Or will Conti/Hernandez kick high from scrum/ruck possession and let the winger's chase down? Or will it be a pick-and-go game through the pack, with points coming from penalties?

I think the first option is out. And Ireland will have to hit back in the first half against a forward grind, while the Arg #10 is under strict instructions to keep it tight for fear of intercepts. Ireland will score big before half time, and then the Conti/Hernandez calculations will unwind.

NB I'm guessing/hoping - not underestimating Arg, just recognizing Ireland's quality.

What do you think?
[/b]

Its hard to predict a match development. But I think Pumas will take more risks than before, This means rtying more deep combination between 3rd rows (with Lobbe and Leguizamon there will be more attack option than before) , and also attacking wide, outside 2nd centre with Hernandez coming from behind and , only when needed the will go back to the old control style (pick and go and deep kicks)

i mean argentina will play a great rugby fot this world cup because they want to show to irb that they are a great team

the argentinians are developing into a class act, the italians are getting along a bit too.

Todeschini is licking for Argentina. I think the Pumas have the best squad ever, it would be great if they could do a Great World Cup. The scrum, and 3 backs (Hernandez, Contepomi and Corleto) are the team´s biggest strength.

Good luck Pumas.

Todeschini is licking for Argentina. I think the Pumas have the best squad ever, it would be great if they could do a Great World Cup. The scrum, and 3 backs (Hernandez, Contepomi and Corleto) are the team´s biggest strength.[/b]

I'm willing to see "El Ninja" at 10 in the world cup, Felipe as 12 and Hernandez as 15. 99, 03, 07 is Pumas turn to knock out Ireland again B)