• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina will be candidate to Organize 2027 World Cup

Only by virtue of using larger stadiums more frequently than we did....

obviously

but I think World Rugby would love to use that number to boost their profile

time of year would be a huge problem

obviously

but I think World Rugby would love to use that number to boost their profile

time of year would be a huge problem

What do you mean having the World Cup on at the same time as the NFL would cause problems?

And yes, I think it could smash attendance records today. But they'll be patient and wait for more public interest to grow so they can get real take off. Also, ideally a US team that might reach the quarters.

Would the NFL be open to scheduling to avoid clashes? Or would they try to squash rugby like puny baby?

What do you mean having the World Cup on at the same time as the NFL would cause problems?

And yes, I think it could smash attendance records today. But they'll be patient and wait for more public interest to grow so they can get real take off. Also, ideally a US team that might reach the quarters.

Would the NFL be open to scheduling to avoid clashes? Or would they try to squash rugby like puny baby?

it would cause problems with the pitches... i don't think the NFL will move for anything, and their core fans would cry if they moved games for rugby and cry how the NFL is un-american and our country is destroyed (i'm not even kidding)

the NFL was open to rugby a few years ago (there were reports they would help a pro competition get off the ground) but I think now that there is a pro tournament and it's an olympic sport, they will try to limit it's growth

The Money and prestige goes to holding it in the USA but if there was going to be a world cup in the Americas then it should be Argentina. They have been the only team from South, North or central America that have consistently performed at the international level and there are few that don't wish enjoy watching the Puma's perform well against European or Australasian opposition.

Lets stop thinking about the dollar and think about the Rugby. The Puma's have always been there despite the many limitations they face. If anyone deserves to host it they do. Lets not give it to a country that couldn't give a toss either way like the USA.

I'm less thinking about what I think should happen and more about what I believe World Rugby will do.

The Money and prestige goes to holding it in the USA but if there was going to be a world cup in the Americas then it should be Argentina. They have been the only team from South, North or central America that have consistently performed at the international level and there are few that don't wish enjoy watching the Puma's perform well against European or Australasian opposition.

Lets stop thinking about the dollar and think about the Rugby. The Puma's have always been there despite the many limitations they face. If anyone deserves to host it they do. Lets not give it to a country that couldn't give a toss either way like the USA.

Mi casa es tu casa Tallshort!! Welcome everybody to Argentina 2027 RWC.

Its happening whether you like it or not Tallshort.

That said - Argentina should get one of the next 4 World Cups and I'd love to be there. Would be awesome.

Well if it were to be held in the USA, then I think they should focus on areas where there are a large contingent of Irish and Italian descendants still living there. Places like Boston and New York comes to mind. If they keep it in one time zone, and perhaps have a few matches close to the Canadian border, then that will help viewership and perhaps even draw in more Canadians to watch the matches. Maybe even have the US and Canada host it together like 1999 World Cup.

I personally had a bad experience when I lived in the US (florida), but that won't deter me to want to go there and watch the World Cup. The USA have some of the biggest and best stadiums in the world, why not exploit it to outside their NFL fans?

If Argentina were to organise the 2027 RWC, they say they would play Pumas vs England in the Malouins. Many are saying there will be more of match outside the stadium LOL

France has already sent few exocets II for Argentinian air force ! lol

To be more serious, I hope they will organise it, it's a true country of rugby and it will promote it there, Uruguay and Chili would improve their rugby too. We need a bigger assets of countries in every continents.

Lets hope that if Argentina gets the world cup that they actually choose Argentinian venues instead of Twickenham as their home stadium;).

I'd love to see a World Cup in Argentina.

Nah, Germany won't be good enough in 10, 15 years. Sure, the football stadiums are there, but unless there are lots of tourists coming for it, they will be pretty empty. But hosting some matches of a World Cup in e.g. France or Italy here might be a start. Spain would be an even better candidate for that, especially since the French have already played some of their club games there.

You are a troll, right?

Only partly. The world is changing, (more countries getting richer - quietly but quickly), World Rugby is pushing a major expansion strategy, incl getting 7s in the Olympics etc. - and pretty successful so far. They want to break out of traditional rugby countries and make it a global sport.

Think 23 years ahead - a *lot* can change in that time. I think it's entirely realistic that e.g. China will be on the scene by then. (23 years ago it was 1993. There had only been 2 RWCs and 16 teams)

Then work backwards - Before 2039, there's only 3 World Cups left to bid for (excl 2019, 2023) before the traditional rugby countries get swamped by new kids on the block. Unless World Rugby's growth plan turns into a miserable failure, there will soon be too many countries and not enough RWCs to go around.

For Argentina to make a winning bid *after 2023*... IMO they'll need to talk a lot about Brazil as a growth market and have some games there.

Last edited:
TBF I can see China taking rugby seriously in the next 20-30 years isn't rugby the sport for the military there or something?

China will never be good at rugby. They cant even kick a ball.

TBF I can see China taking rugby seriously in the next 20-30 years isn't rugby the sport for the military there or something?

I think so.

My school had a good 100-200 chinese students and I feel fairly confident, based on my experiences with them, that China could rival Georgia as a prop production line.