TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
This is the official thread for Los Pumas in the WC:

150428053229955169.png

The first Pumas starting XV of the year for a friendly match against USA:

15 Santiago Cordero, 14 Ramiro Moyano, 13 Matías Moroni, 12 Jerónimo de la Fuente, 11 Manuel Montero, 10 Santiago González Iglesias, 9 Tomás Cubelli (c), 8 Facundo Isa, 7 Javier Ortega Desio, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Matías Alemanno, 4 Guido Petti, 3 Matías Díaz, 2 Julián Montoya, 1 Bruno Postiglioni.

Reserves:

16 Matías Cortese, 17 Lucas Noguera Paz, 18 Roberto Tejerizo, 19 Gerónimo Albertario, 20 Lisandro Ahualli de Chazal, 21 Martín Landajo, 22 Bautista Ezcurra, 23 Matías Orlando.

Head Coach: Daniel Hourcade.

Last edited:
How has Hernandez been going ? In at 15 so you would have two playmakers in Sanchez and Hernandez. On the wings Imhoff is a certainty as he is proven class, Montero is a good prospect but Camacho if fit is a very handy operator.

The Pumas beat USA by 54 - 6

Tries: Montero (2), Isa (2), Cubelli, Penalty Try, De la Fuente and Orlando.

A back three of Montero, Imhoff and Cordero is very tasty

I'm not sure about Cordero's defense at international level. Montero has improved on defense, before he was a very bad tackler

How has Hernandez been going ? In at 15 so you would have two playmakers in Sanchez and Hernandez. On the wings Imhoff is a certainty as he is proven class, Montero is a good prospect but Camacho if fit is a very handy operator.

Sanchez is the starting 10 for Hourcade, so Hernandez is the starting 12 and the back-up for 10 and 15. Camacho is unknown, he has been too long off the field. He should have a fantastic recovery to be on the starting XV. Even hard to see his inclusion at the RWC Squad ATM.

Last edited:
Is hard to improve the expectations Isa created after that Paris match.

The problem with Cordero is only physic, he is a good tackler, only too small.
Montero/ Camacho would be massive, but I don't we'll be lucky enough. I don't really like Imhoff, even if I aknowledge his ambition and hard work, his defence is mediocre at best.

The Pumas beat USA by 54 - 6

Tries: Montero (2), Isa (2), Cubelli, Penalty Try, De la Fuente and Orlando.

I didn't even see this game was on. Is there anywhere I can catch highlights, or better still the full game?

Where's Agulla in the wing debate, his name doesn't seem to be coming up much nowadays? He's still around the squad and playing off the bench though isn't he - I assume he'll be in the WC squad?

Has Cubelli overtaken Landajo for the starting nine spot?

The Pumas beat USA 28-24 in the second test match:

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/videohub/video/clipDeportes?id=2363819&categoryid=834482

Argentina:

1- Lucas Noguera Paz, 2- Santiago Iglesias Valdez, 3- Matías Díaz; 4- Guido Petti Pagadizabal, 5- Matías Alemanno; 6- Tomás Lezana, 7- Javier Ortega Desio, 8- Lisandro Ahualli de Chazal; 9- Martín Landajo (capitán), 10- Santiago González Iglesias; 11- Manuel Montero, 12- Gabriel Ascárate, 13- Matías Moroni, 14- Matías Orlando; 15- Ramiro Moyano.

USA:

1- Olive Kilifi, 2- Zachary Fenoglio, 3- Chris Baumann; 4- Louis Stanfill, 5- John Cullen; 6- Alastair McFarland, 7- John Quill, 8- Matt Trouville; 9- Shalon Suniula, 10- Alan MacGinty; 11- Tim Stanfill, 12- Ronnie McLean, 13- Seamus Kelly (capitán), 14- Zachary Pangelinan; 15- Troy Hall.

I didn't even see this game was on. Is there anywhere I can catch highlights, or better still the full game?

Where's Agulla in the wing debate, his name doesn't seem to be coming up much nowadays? He's still around the squad and playing off the bench though isn't he - I assume he'll be in the WC squad?

Has Cubelli overtaken Landajo for the starting nine spot?

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/videohub/video/clipDeportes?id=2360031&categoryid=834482

About Agulla, I'm not sure is he's still a starter for Hourcade, maybe a back-up for Montero. It's his last WC,he must be at the RWC Squad IMO. I'm not sure about Hourcade's thought, for me Cubelli is better than Landajo.

Last edited:
Having seen Agulla playing for Bath, the guy is great. He can create space from nothing and has got to be in the national squad imo.

Having seen Agulla playing for Bath, the guy is great. He can create space from nothing and has got to be in the national squad imo.

Yeah he's a good ball carrier at international level, tough guy, hard to stop. Also he can play at centre, he has played at centre in Bath several times, and also last year against Wallabies in Mendoza.

I agree, big fan. He's got a great eye for a gap, runs a great line and is weirdly hard to stop. Punches well above his weight in terms of power for his size, I think it's his low centre of gravity.

Manuel Montero is out for a month and a half.

Torn ACL- actually a bit less than that, but still ACL injury.

Dammit.

So Argentina are most likely going to get second in the group stages.

I've seen that Joaquín Tuculet have recently been playing at centre and winger (more winger) for Cardiff blues, would you consider him playing at winger in the world cup ?

I don't think so. Tuculet is the only one who coulld replace Nani Corleto since 2007. Who's going to do so, Hernández? Probably we could change Tuculet for Hernández, but it would be silly after the EPCR final, Hernández has really grown in the centre. Maybe González Amorosino.

Montero is out till july, and I expect Hourcade to keep him safe for the World Cup.

How are the argentinian kids doing in Scotland?

I don't think so. Tuculet is the only one who coulld replace Nani Corleto since 2007. Who's going to do so, Hernández? Probably we could change Tuculet for Hernández, but it would be silly after the EPCR final, Hernández has really grown in the centre. Maybe González Amorosino.

Montero is out till july, and I expect Hourcade to keep him safe for the World Cup.

How are the argentinian kids doing in Scotland?
Tomás Leonardi is injured now dont know when he's back. and Joaquin Dominguez is not really been playing that much.

The Pumas beat Uruguay 36-14:

http://www.espn.com.ar/videohub/video/clipDeportes?id=2375858

ARGENTINA: 1- Bruno Postiglioni 2- Matías Cortese 3- Matías Díaz 4- Guido Petti Pagadizabal 5- Gerónimo Albertario 6- Pablo Matera 7- Javier Ortega Desio 8- Facundo Isa 9- Martín Landajo (c) 10- Santiago González Iglesias 11- Manuel Montero 12- Gabriel Ascárate 13- Jerónimo De la Fuente 14- Matías Orlando 15- Santiago Cordero.

URUGUAY: 1- Rodolfo De Mula, 2- Arturo Avalo, 3- Juan Echeverría; 4- Santiago Vilaseca (c), 5- Jorge Zerbino; 6- Agustín Alonso, 7- Gabriel Puig, 8- Mathias Braun; 9- Rodrigo Silva, 10- Jerónimo Etcheverry; 11- Francisco Bulanti, 12- Alberto Roman, 13- Joaquín Prada, 14- Leandro Leivas; 15- Gastón Mieres.

Tomorrow the team are going to face to Paraguay at Asuncion (Paraguay) for the Consur Cup.

So Argentina are most likely going to get second in the group stages.

I've seen that Joaquín Tuculet have recently been playing at centre and winger (more winger) for Cardiff blues, would you consider him playing at winger in the world cup ?

I think no, I prefer him at 15. We haven't many options there.

The Pumas beat Uruguay 36-14:

http://www.espn.com.ar/videohub/video/clipDeportes?id=2375858

ARGENTINA: 1- Bruno Postiglioni 2- Matías Cortese 3- Matías Díaz 4- Guido Petti Pagadizabal 5- Gerónimo Albertario 6- Pablo Matera 7- Javier Ortega Desio 8- Facundo Isa 9- Martín Landajo (c) 10- Santiago González Iglesias 11- Manuel Montero 12- Gabriel Ascárate 13- Jerónimo De la Fuente 14- Matías Orlando 15- Santiago Cordero.

URUGUAY: 1- Rodolfo De Mula, 2- Arturo Avalo, 3- Juan Echeverría; 4- Santiago Vilaseca (c), 5- Jorge Zerbino; 6- Agustín Alonso, 7- Gabriel Puig, 8- Mathias Braun; 9- Rodrigo Silva, 10- Jerónimo Etcheverry; 11- Francisco Bulanti, 12- Alberto Roman, 13- Joaquín Prada, 14- Leandro Leivas; 15- Gastón Mieres.

Tomorrow the team are going to face to Paraguay at Asuncion (Paraguay) for the Consur Cup.

I think no, I prefer him at 15. We haven't many options there.
fair enough, more options at fullback the better i suppose. but also i know you mainly play centre but you can have some games at fullback right ;)

I watched a bit of this gem tonight!

Argentina unlucky to lose in injury time. 24-20. Fresh faced McCaw playing his guts out, this was his debut season.

I think Argentina are a good side and will give anyone a good game, likely to get Ireland in the quarter finals, they will be lucky to win, but it will be close. They have a real chance of finishing 3rd in the Championship this season and perhaps getting their first win vs SA in Argentina.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a bit of this gem tonight!

Argentina unlucky to lose in injury time. 24-20. Fresh faced McCaw playing his guts out, this was his debut season.

I think Argentina are a good side and will give anyone a good game, likely to get Ireland in the quarter finals, they will be lucky to win, but it will be close. They have a real chance of finishing 3rd in the Championship this season and perhaps getting their first win vs SA in Argentina.

Must feel bad being Contepomi there when all he had to do was kick it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must feel bad being Contepomi there when all he had to do was kick it out.

There was still 5 minutes of injury time left. But it definitely would have been easier to defend from a midfield line out. Also they missed a penalty a few minutes prior to the try. Reminds me of the Ireland loss in 2013.

Latest posts