• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Arise Sir Gareth!

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Gareth Edwards is to be knighted in the latest Honours list. Should be knighted for THAT try alone. Oh, and Jiffy gets an OBE. Not for "Services to Impartial Commentary" I reckon. Also some bloke called Wilkinson gets a CBE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/33109354

which try is that then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you obviously know what the only thing wrong with that try was????

Plot Twist:

I mean the one against Scotland in '74 (?) The one in t'mud.

Also that Baa Baa's one.

Best rugby player of all time. Well deserved.

Congrats to jiff and wilko too

no wrong again that was a Maori kiss!!! not a high tackle!!! i will give you a clue go look on Wiki and see who touched the ball after Phil Bennet your last chance!!!!

That baabaas try is gash, i've never understood why people rave about it.

Congrats to Sir Gareth, though - massive honour.

com on guys this is not that difficult, yes JPR did touch the ball next but that is not the right answer Good No 10,
another clue this is very difficult to do!!!
you have to think like a Welshman (not easy i know that, and not that enjoyable neither but you must try and stop singing Yackie Darrrrrr) but it must be done.
now if you go back to the first clue things might look clearer, so try again!!!!!

Just never particularly liked it.
It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's a lot of poor defence and throwing the ball over your shoulder hoping for the best - just never really liked it.

I think it's the "GREATEST TRY EVER SCORED" tagline I dislike more than the actual try, tbf.

The last pass being forward is what bugs me - like it's a series of terrible defense (including some terrible high tackles from the ABs), some speculative and forward passes and then the try. Every year I see a better try than THAT try, but it never gets a similar status. I dont have a problem with the knighthood, one of the most iconic 9s ever and a legend of Welsh rugby. But that try....well it wasnt even a legit try. So far forward. Baabaas won the game without it, but it feels like Maradona's hand of god being called the best goal ever.

Professional rugby has moved the game on so far that games from the true amateur era are worlds away from what we're watching now, it's the same with all "greatest ever" threads, especially greatest ever XV ones. The best way to assess players IMO is on the basis of how they stood up against their peers - it's a no brainer to say that Colin Meads would have been too small to play second row in today's game, but it's irrelevant to me - he stood out against those he played against. In the same way, this try was pretty earth shattering at the time it was scored. I don't know about greatest, but certainly great.

I think it's the rare mix of individual skill, team skill, fluency and how good it is on the eye that makes that try special. There may be tries that do better in one of the categories, but few are that good across the board. That said, I wouldn't say it's the best. The one that springs to mind as my favourite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pE8t41TTk

com on guys this is not that difficult, yes JPR did touch the ball next but that is not the right answer Good No 10,
another clue this is very difficult to do!!!
you have to think like a Welshman (not easy i know that, and not that enjoyable neither but you must try and stop singing Yackie Darrrrrr) but it must be done.
now if you go back to the first clue things might look clearer, so try again!!!!!

I presume you're talking about the lone Englishman in the move?

Exactly take a bow young man and you are not even Welsh shame on them !!!!! John Pullin touched the ball and of course he was the England hooker the other 6 were Welsh. but still a great try, although i think PSA's try at Twickers was better probably the only decent thing he's ever done and i was there to see it, one of the great French wins in Twickers there are not that many to remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very well deserved, a true rugby gent and he wasn't a half bad 9 ;). He still has a big presence at Cardiff Blues as well which shows how much he loves the game and the club.

The last pass being forward is what bugs me - like it's a series of terrible defense (including some terrible high tackles from the ABs), some speculative and forward passes and then the try. Every year I see a better try than THAT try, but it never gets a similar status. I dont have a problem with the knighthood, one of the most iconic 9s ever and a legend of Welsh rugby. But that try....well it wasnt even a legit try. So far forward. Baabaas won the game without it, but it feels like Maradona's hand of god being called the best goal ever.

If you ignore all the incredible skill that preceded and followed it...

Last edited:

Latest posts