• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Arise Sir Gareth!

And yet again Gaston is going on an exclamation mark saturated post attempting to make a dig at the English... How do you not get bored of it?

If you ignore all the incredible skill that preceded and followed it...

That's irrelevant, because it shouldn't have been a try. And the only thing that followed it was a dive in the corner, it was the last pass. If it was correctly ruled a forward pass we wouldn't be talking about it as the best try ever...

Everything was good in the 'hand of goal incident', the skill to put the long ball through etc. Except it shouldn't have been a goal because a player on the final moments (like the forward pass), infringed.

I'm not even really passionately saying it isn't a fine try, just the best ever label that people definitively throw around sort of bemuses me.

That's irrelevant, because it shouldn't have been a try. And the only thing that followed it was a dive in the corner, it was the last pass. If it was correctly ruled a forward pass we wouldn't be talking about it as the best try ever...

Everything was good in the 'hand of goal incident', the skill to put the long ball through etc. Except it shouldn't have been a goal because a player on the final moments (like the forward pass), infringed.

I'm not even really passionately saying it isn't a fine try, just the best ever label that people definitively throw around sort of bemuses me.

I see what you mean, in the fact that there may have been a forward pass, but I don't see how it can bemuse you to why people think it is one of the greatest tries ever regardless: Whatever anyway, I'm welsh and you're kiwi. Let's not pretend that fact does not sway our perceptions. For me, it's one of the great tries. Let's just celebrate what matters, and that is that one of the undisputed great players of all time is receiving merit for his on and off field Brilliance.

Id also point out that if you say it is irrelevant for me to highlight the skill on in the try, then it is clearly irrelavent for you to compare it to a completely separate incident in a completely different sport. Common sense imo.

Last edited:
Exactly take a bow young man and you are not even Welsh shame on them !!!!! John Pullin touched the ball and of course he was the England hooker the other 6 were Welsh. but still a great try, although i think PSA's try at Twickers was better probably the only decent thing he's ever done and i was there to see it, one of the great French wins in Twickers there are not that many to remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the greatest try I have ever seen was started by PSA and finished by Jean Luc Sadourny. You Frenchies have tagged is "The Try from the End of the World", and it sunk us to our first and only series loss at home to France.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwTi-UeQ7s

If it was referred to the tmo in this day and age it still wouldn't be a forward pass because his passing motion was backwards and momentum took it forward.

It's ridiculous that people over analyse decade old plays with the intention of discrediting them. It was the 70's the game was looser, and slower, and those guys countered in their own 22 and went the length of the pitch to score a magnificent try in the opening minutes of a game against the AB's.

The support running and vision is remarkable even by today's standards and that try, and that game, captured the imagination of and influenced a generation of players the world over. It pretty much formed the ethos future barbarian's games were played in.

It's a bit churlish to make out otherwise.

Last edited:
Well, the greatest try I have ever seen was started by PSA and finished by Jean Luc Sadourny. You Frenchies have tagged is "The Try from the End of the World", and it sunk us to our first and only series loss at home to France.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwTi-UeQ7s

Watched that live. We'd just got satellite TV that week, and its one of the few times I remember the whole family watching a game of rugby together.

When he scored that try the noise from our living room caused the neighbour to pop his head over the fence to make sure everything was OK.

I agree it's a wonderful try.

Edit: just as an a aside, and because i can never tell this story enough, watching that try reminds me I played against Emile N'Tamack in a charity/vets game for the Christchurch Earth quake in 2011, the first thing i did in the game was sell him a dummy allowing my team to run in a try from half way :D

Last edited:
And yet again Gaston is going on an exclamation mark saturated post attempting to make a dig at the English... How do you not get bored of it?

where's the dig you poor misguided person you need to get out more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway back on topic ...

Been a long time coming. Certainly deserves it. Done a lot for the game on and off the pitch. Fantastic recognition for one of the good guys in rugby.

Latest posts