• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

August 17 Q&A with HB - Answers

Lots of Wii's in the wild. Not so many people purchasing Wii software... let alone sports games.

The work involve in creating DLC is not in creating the updated squad. It's in creating and testing the functionality to do this. It was on the list, but there were higher priorities.

I cannot find region sales for PS3 software, but looking at totals for PS3 and the 'other' region for Wii sales, it looks like they could be quite close. I'd think the Europen region would be the largest market for this game. (I'm looking at the last quarter as it would be most relevent.)

When you say DLC is it used interchangeably with a patch because I'd think a squad update would be done via a patch. If so, was it that you decided that the gameplay patch was more important that the squad updates?

Last edited:
Does anybody still buy the Wii??

you can do everything on a PS3 with the Playstation move, and add the eye-toy, then it's even better.

The Wii is for lazy fat kids who can't get picked to play with other kids during lunchbreak!

there there, don't cry, have a cookie!

When you say DLC is it used interchangeably with a patch because I'd think a squad update would be done via a patch. If so, was it that you decided that the gameplay patch was more important that the squad updates?

I'm pretty sure there are size limits on patches as they are offered free Sony and MS don't like it clogging up there network to much. Squad updates are more than just a couple of names here and there, all the player likeness needs to be in it aswell along with a way of locking off some of the players that are no longer in the squad.

Some companies like EA other 'free' DLC so they are still getting charged by MS and Sony for it as its no longer a patch, but its normally followed up with paid DLC which will cover those costs.

I would like to know at what stage of development the license issues are sorted?Prior to the program being giving the green light?During development?

It is rather ironic that after waiting for almost 4 years for a new Rugby ***le,there will be two launched close to each other,But both will suffer due to having unlicensed teams on them.I know there is editing options,but honestly.....

Since HB has made it clear that future ***les will depend on the sales success of Rugby world Cup 2011 my concern is that we might be in for a long wait. When you compare RWC 2011 to Rugby 08,RWC 2011 has got a direct competitor which Rugby 08 did not really have and also 08 gave you Tri-Nations.Six-Nations,Guinness Premmiership & Super 14.All of which gave it a longer shelf life in my opinion.

I really hope this game does well,despite my doubt,and maybe then hopefully we can get a fully licensed,multi tournament game.

I dont really understand the kit code thing? Do you have to be online to do that? I dont have live and it would be a massive hassle to try and plug it in to do it?

I'm going to call up Eb games early to see if I can get early. only a few days now

This was probably asked before but will there be an online ranking system or something. I noticed that RC will be having one. Either way, I will be hoping to be able to play against most of you guys as I cannot wait for this game to come out!

"It strikes me that multiplayer online is where this game will really find its fanbase, playing AI only ever goes so far, I cant wait to hammer people with Ireland online!"

Ha ha, Love it!! Ill be right there with ya!

It is rather ironic that after waiting for almost 4 years for a new Rugby ***le,there will be two launched close to each other,But both will suffer due to having unlicensed teams on them.I know there is editing options,but honestly.....

Hardly Ironic that two rugby making game developers have decided to make a rugby game and release it close to the RWC when peoples interest is at its highest. I expect NZ and AUS are kicking themselves about going exclusive keeping themselves out of the official world cup game. Hind sight is a wonderful thing though

Game is embargo'd until 26th August! Anyone who releases early would get a huge fine!
Doesn't Australia get it on the 25th....... I'm still going to try, You know how those Eb games guys are, if they have stock they will sell. They don't know ****

Hardly Ironic that two rugby making game developers have decided to make a rugby game and release it close to the RWC when peoples interest is at its highest. I expect NZ and AUS are kicking themselves about going exclusive keeping themselves out of the official world cup game. Hind sight is a wonderful thing though

I highly doubt they have any worries at all - Wallabies Rugby Challenge and All Blacks Rugby Challenge it doesn't get much better than that in the brand development committee weekly meeting.

someone, some *******, has put England as you club........surely you have some pull around here.

BTW, do you mind answering my question?

Ah, right. That ******* is me. I will wear my Rugby Canada top with pride during the Canada fixtures as I did at the Las Vegas Sevens and during the USA matches this month (in fact, I'm wearing it today) and I will cheer for my fellow SLOB Matt Evans, but my allegiance has been declared, I'm afraid.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question - I got distracted by your sig.

Rugby is growing in profile in North America, in the States especially. In the past it has been one of our biggest sales territories worldwide, and with the announcement that sevens will be an official Olympic sport, the profile of Rugby will continue only continue to grow in North America. With NBC broadcasting rugby during the world cup, the profile of the sport is about to rise again. In this context if we can make our game as accessible as possible, we stand a good chance of introducing those people to our game.

The industry is changing and while we value our retail partners greatly, we're interested in also reaching people without their having to leave their living rooms to buy the game. Watch RWC on TV, learn about our game, download the demo, and buy the game... all in the same afternoon and all from the comfort of their own homes. That's the theory. We can't release simultaneously on the same console at retail and digitally, but this is perhaps the first game to go with a split strategy like this. We'll see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Latest posts