• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia to trial Floodlit tests?

A

An Tarbh

Just read an interesting article on the BBC where Cricket Australia said they were interested in trialling day-night test matches in as little as 2 years time.

While an interesting prospect, it does seem to shy away from the traditionalists within the game, the idea also doesn't have the support of Ricky Ponting who fears nightmarish conditions for batsmen following reports of that from those who played in the first class trials in Brisbane and Perth.

So with the obvious benefits of increased tv audiences and the likelihood of increased attendances in the grounds themselves is this idea a starter?

Personally I don't think it's a good idea, it's fine for one-day cricket but there would be huge problems with the ball since the red one cannot be used in day-night cricket and authorities have struggled to come up with a ball that has the same characteristics as the red one.

Not all sports are meant to be played at night, just leave well enough alone, I've no problem with using floodlights when bad light is an issue but that's about it.

I was listening to this on BBC Radio 4 Today and I think, for once, Australia have come up with a good idea. The problem is (something exacerbated in the UK) that five day tests are increasingly out of step with the modern world. People either can't get to the test match during weekdays because of work or they take time off work in order to get to the test match which in turn harms productivity and puts a bigger workload on colleagues.

Floodlit tests from 2pm onwards ending at 10pm would enable people to turn up at tea and watch the test. It would enable a bigger cross section of people to attend (schoolkids can go to School and then go to the test match in the evening with their parents for example as a school trip) and would benefit test playing nations like England & Australia as a whole far beyond the suspicious "are they trying to make a quick buck" allegations.

If the tests are successful and they get good feedback from fans and players alike, I think this is a brilliant idea...just don't try it in the West Indies with those sweltering midsummer nights!

I think in theory the idea is sound but in fairness so is communism and if it changes completely the conditions of test cricket i.e. a completely differenct ball then it can't be a starter. I accept all the positives in terms of increased viewers and better times for people to go to the tests but not if it changes it beyond what is recognisable at this point in time.

i can only really see it being good in the weekday. imo, cricket is best at the game on a sunny saturday or sunday, with a few beers, and a few more the comensing night.

im not big into cricket but since we play baseball here and its somewhat similar ill tell you what i think

i dont know anything about a cricket ball but is it not possible to switch the ball when it starts getting darker to maybe a white colour with say red seams similar to what our baseballs look like or just a solid white ball?

there should be no problem seeing the ball at night (played in a few night games myself for baseball and i think its actually easier to see the ball) unless of course it goes into the flood lights.

i say just keep it to the afternoons whenever i think of cricket/baseball i think of sunny afternoons!

im not big into cricket but since we play baseball here and its somewhat similar ill tell you what i think

i dont know anything about a cricket ball but is it not possible to switch the ball when it starts getting darker to maybe a white colour with say red seams similar to what our baseballs look like or just a solid white ball?

there should be no problem seeing the ball at night (played in a few night games myself for baseball and i think its actually easier to see the ball) unless of course it goes into the flood lights.

i say just keep it to the afternoons whenever i think of cricket/baseball i think of sunny afternoons!

[/b]
Nah, its not possible to switch the colour of the ball.

Test match balls are red.

One dayer and 20/20 match balls are white.

Thats just the way it is, and the way it will most likely stay :)

Its kind of hard to use a white ball in a test match when the players are all wearing the same colour (white) anyway.

Just read an interesting article on the BBC where Cricket Australia said they were interested in trialling day-night test matches in as little as 2 years time.

While an interesting prospect, it does seem to shy away from the traditionalists within the game, the idea also doesn't have the support of Ricky Ponting who fears nightmarish conditions for batsmen following reports of that from those who played in the first class trials in Brisbane and Perth.

So with the obvious benefits of increased tv audiences and the likelihood of increased attendances in the grounds themselves is this idea a starter?

Personally I don't think it's a good idea, it's fine for one-day cricket but there would be huge problems with the ball since the red one cannot be used in day-night cricket and authorities have struggled to come up with a ball that has the same characteristics as the red one.

Not all sports are meant to be played at night, just leave well enough alone, I've no problem with using floodlights when bad light is an issue but that's about it. [/b]

I know nothing about cricket other than the term "wide", but I've seen the diff colored balls they use for Aussie Rules. Could they use a flourescent yellow ball too?

<div class='quotemain'> Just read an interesting article on the BBC where Cricket Australia said they were interested in trialling day-night test matches in as little as 2 years time.

Not all sports are meant to be played at night, just leave well enough alone, I've no problem with using floodlights when bad light is an issue but that's about it. [/b]

I know nothing about cricket other than the term "wide", but I've seen the diff colored balls they use for Aussie Rules. Could they use a flourescent yellow ball too?

[/b][/quote]
Now that is quite a sxcful idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts