• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs Samoa Predictions

I do think he gave everything he had uso. Remember it's his debut, first match for Samoa. He's so inexprienced. Has only played a few games for Auckland, Northland or wherever he is..I don't know the kid, but he had inadequate preparation for the match. I don't even think he knew all of the names of his teammates to tell you the truth. And he made-up the Siva Tau on the spot before kickoff lol. Not the ideal debut for anyone being flown in the day before a test match. I blame the coaches for a bad call. The PNC ***le is on the line and they go ahead with him, fresh off the plane from sunny NZ the day before. Surely Mai could've been given his redemption match.

The other thing I dont get is Helleur gets picked for the Wallabies match?? When he hasn't been with the team for two weeks?? Strange calls on top of the Mulipola one.

Paul Williams, Sailosi Tagicakibau, George Pisi, Seilala Mapusua, Alesana Tuilagi, Tusi Pisi, Kahn Fotuali'I, George Stowers, Maurie Fa'asavalu, Taisina Tuifu'a, Daniel Leo, Kane Thompson, Anthony Perenise, Mahonri Schwalger (c), Sakaria Taulafo. Reserves: Tii Paulo, Census Johnston, Filipo Lavea Levi, Manaia Salavea, Brenton Helleur, Eliota Fuimaono Sapolu, James So'oialo.

Looks like Tasesa Laves has been left out of the side all together. Solid team. All the best boys. Beat the Wallabies!! Choohoo!

I do think he gave everything he had uso. Remember it's his debut, first match for Samoa. He's so inexprienced. Has only played a few games for Auckland, Northland or wherever he is..I don't know the kid, but he had inadequate preparation for the match. I don't even think he knew all of the names of his teammates to tell you the truth. And he made-up the Siva Tau on the spot before kickoff lol. Not the ideal debut for anyone being flown in the day before a test match. I blame the coaches for a bad call. The PNC ***le is on the line and they go ahead with him, fresh off the plane from sunny NZ the day before. Surely Mai could've been given his redemption match.

The other thing I dont get is Helleur gets picked for the Wallabies match?? When he hasn't been with the team for two weeks?? Strange calls on top of the Mulipola one.
Sole I hate being critical of Helleur as I am grateful to him and any other player who puts their hand up to play for the Manu Samoa. But as I stated before if you still have the game, watch Taumalolos try 10 mins before half time. Helleur just watched the ball hit the deck from the ensuing lineout without scrambling to make an effort to recover the ball before Taumalolo, A front rower, got there before him to scoop up the loose ball. And if that wasnt bad enough, he watched him cruise past him with the loose ball before giving him a half assed chase as he went on to run over Iosua for the try. He shouldve at the very LEAST made more of an effort to get back in time to help Iosua make the tackle as a front rower at full steam with ball in hand against a winger who hasnt got the best defensive game was a mismatch if ever. To me that epitomizes lack of effort, commitment or endevour and I really feel he could've and should've done better. I really hope that he can redeem himself against the Wallabies and improve his stock and chances to play at the RWC.
Reserves: Manaia Salavea
I heard it was Ofisa Treviranus who was on the bench, not Manaia Salevea. Do you have a link for the team to play the Wallabies?

Last edited:
Just spoke to Tafua, I told him to put Cencus in and he agreed. He also said that Lualua had an injury therefore Brenton is on the bench. Samoan team to play Wallabies;

Samoa: Paul Williams, Sailosi Tagicakibau, George Pisi, Seilala Mapusua, Alesana Tuilagi, Tusi Pisi, Kahn Fotuali'I, George Stowers, Maurie Fa'asavalu, Taisina Tuifu'a, Daniel Leo, Kane Thompson, Anthony Perenise, Mahonri Schwalger (c), Sakaria Taulafo. Reserves: Tii Paulo, Census Johnston, Filipo Lavea Levi, Manaia Salavea, Brenton Helleur, Eliota Fuimaono Sapolu, James So'oialo.

Cause he was in Japan!
In 2008 Deans didn't pick Gerrard, instead picking AAC at fullback (despite AAC playing on the wing for the Brumbies, with Gerrard at fullback). In 2009 before Gerrard signed to go to Japan he talked to Deans, making me think he was unwanted in Deans plans.

Hey Afakasi - Was joking uso... Seen the team that was posted earlier and had no Johnson. Glad to see he's back in the squad as he will be a good impact player off the bench. Not sure what Tafua meant about slight selection change for this weekends game.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/07/14/manua-samoa-side-named-for-test-against-wallabies/

Maybe he'll throw a surprise selection in there. I'm not convinced that James S'oialo should be coming off the bench. Thought they would of had someone with a bit more experience. I would of had Tasesa or David Lemi coming off the bench. Both Paul Williams and Tusi Pisi can cover kicking duties.

My samoan team:

1. Sakaria Taulafo
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Anthony Perenise
4. Kane Thompson
5. Daniel Leo
6. Ofisa Treviranus
7. Maurie Fa'asavalu
8.Taisina Tuifua
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Tasesa Lavea
11. Alex Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapasua
13. George Pisi
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. Paul williams

Bench:

16.Ti'i Paulo
17. Census Johnston
18. Filipo Levi/Jonny fa'amatuainu
19. George Stowers
20. Brenton Helleur(?)
21. Tusi Pisi
22. James So'oialo

V. Australia

1. Sekope Kepu
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. Matt Hodgson
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nick Phipps
10. Matt Gietau
11. Digby Ioane
12. Pat McCabe
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Mark Gerrard

Bench

16. James Hanson
17. (TBA)
18. Dan Vickerman
19. Scott Higginbotham
20. Beau Robison
21. Will Genia
22. kurtley Beale

^ didn't realise they'd canned lavea. oh well i guess pusi moves to fly half & Fuimaono-Sapolu moves to the bench.

Last edited:
Looking at that Samoan side against a pretty inexperienced Aussie side we could see an upset on our hands. Unlikely as Australia always seem to get themselves out of trouble and grind out wins (unlike Wales) but it could pretty close this one. You add Joe Tekori in the second row and Henry Tuilagi in the back row or bench and you've got yourselves a full strength Samoan side.

Looking at that Samoan side against a pretty inexperienced Aussie side we could see an upset on our hands. Unlikely as Australia always seem to get themselves out of trouble and grind out wins (unlike Wales) but it could pretty close this one. You add Joe Tekori in the second row and Henry Tuilagi in the back row or bench and you've got yourselves a full strength Samoan side.
I pray and hope you are proven right this Sunday. We will see though if they can put it together on the field and not just on paper.

Does anyone know if this is on sky cause looking at the sky live schedule it isn't there.

Sky sports 2, 5am kickoff
2hr highlight show (or a repeat of the match?) at 2pm on Sky Sports 4

Aye, me too :(
Was hoping for a more sociable kickoff time, 7am+ would be grand, but no such luck

Quite looking forward to this match. I'm particularly interested in the match-up between Tuilagi and O'Connor on the wing - O'Connor would probably be giving up 30kg to Tuilagi. Tuilagi will probably have trouble containing the elusive O'Connor, but it will be interesting if Tuilagi gets the ball and runs straight at O'Connor!

The selection of Fa'asavalu at openside worries me - the kama only plays the game in bursts and is more suited to blindside. I would've started any of Salavea, the Treviranus brothers or Aiono ahead of him at 7 - it's not that they're all better players than him, they're just better opensides.

I think we might struggle at the breakdown with this backrow; not sure if they can actually get around the park quick enough; especially against the Aussies, who will probably play a quick and expansive game.

I would've given Lemi and Vailoaloa a spot on the bench.

Is Tom Coventry with the Manu Samoa yet?

My thoughts exactly Super Sub. No real pace in the back row. Looks like the weather will be wet so that may help Samoa. A slow forward orientated game. Tafua did say that slight selection change before Sunday. We shall wait and see!!

Tom Coventry is not with Samoa at the moment. He will be there leading up to and during the worldcup. He made a big difference with the end of year tour last year. They have Aussie Mclean helping out at the moment.

Go Manu!!

Thats a pretty decent team and the coach has somewhat restored my faith. As some have suggested here Williams experience at the back cant be discounted but still good to see So'oialo on the bench. Lavea got what he deserved for ponderous indecisive play. Stowers and Fa'asavalu can count themself lucky and must now play the game of there lives.

The loose forwards seem unbalanced with no real no 7, Fa'asavalu no longer has the speed he had years ago after his time in league. A Salavae or Treviranus may have been more complimentary to Stowers and Taifua.

The Wallabies have a history of starting slow and performing poor in first test of season. Maybe this is why Deans has picked a B - team. This should be motivation for our boys who must show discipline, patience, make tackles, no penalties and take our chances.

Go the Manu !!!

I cant wait for Sunday to be at ANZ

Prediction

Heart - Samoa 24 - Australia 21

Head - Australia 42 - Samoa 21

Last edited:

Latest posts