• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian Provincial Comp....TV Coverage??



APC kicks off this weekend........unfortunately the Force gets no home games.
Does anybody know if the APC will be televised anywhere? Foxsports? 7?
who knows really but kath&kent from radiosport here in nz would proabbly watch it considering how much they bag the air nz cup each night.
I've checked all the tv guides and phoned Foxtel and it will not be televised( at least not this weekend).

It's so typical of Foxtel to show NPC and Currie Cup but not APC.

I'll call the Western Force office tomorrow to check with them.
Squads look very strong.

Wallabies playing in this month's APC: Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies), Al Campbell (Brumbies), Nic Henderson (Brumbies), Stephen Hoiles (Brumbies), David Croft (Reds), Lloyd Johansson (Reds), Stephen Moore (Reds), John Roe (Reds), Ben Tune (Reds), Matt Dunning (Waratahs), Adam Freier (Waratahs), David Lyons (Waratahs), Morgan Turinui (Waratahs), Josh Valentine (Waratahs), Brendan Cannon (Western Force), Scott Fava (Western Force), Matt Henjak (Western Force), Tai McIsaac (Western Force), Cameron Shepherd (Western Force), Scott Staniforth (Western Force).

APC squads:

Brumbies: Chris Aho, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Al Campbell, Matt Carraro, Tim Curran, Saia Faingaa, Francis Fainifo, Gene Fairbanks, Tim Ferrari, Scott Flint, Nick Haydon, Anthony Hegarty, Nic Henderson, Stephen Hoiles, Julian Huxley, Ben Johnson, Jack Kennedy, Peter Kimlin, Jason Lagaali, Christiaan Lealiifano, Salesi Ma'afu, James Mccormack, Patrick Phibbs, Julian Salvi, Jone Tawake, John Ulugia, Ben White, Marty Wilson, John Williams, Richard Windsor, Tim Wright.

Waratahs: Aaron Broughton-Rouse, Will Caldwell, James Campbell, Tom Carter, Tim Davidson, Matt Dunning, Tom Egan, Adam Freier, Ben Hand, Daniel Halangahu, Sam Harris, David Haydon, Peter Hewat, Josh Holmes, Ben Jacobs, Lloyd Jones, David Lyons, Shawn Mackay, Alan Manning, Josh Mann-Rae, Dean Mumm, Sam Norton-Knight, Nick Reily, David Rimmer, Beau Robinson, Chris Siale, Matthias Skillecorn, Jeremy Tilse, Morgan Turinui, Lachlan Turner.

Reds: David Amosa, Ole Avei, Andrew Brown, Caleb Brown, David Campbell, Mitchell Chapman, David Croft, John Dart, Dominic Fuller, AJ Gilbert, Brett Gillespie, Scott Higginbotham, Herman Hunt, Peter Hynes, Lloyd Johansson, Kuresa Lee, Peter Loane, Quinton Mateo, Stephen Moore, Ben Mowen, Will Munsie, Ed O'Donoghue, John Roe (captain), Sam Satui, Ernest Skelton, Cameron Treloar, Ben Tune, Brando Va'alu, Henari Veratau.

Western Force: Richard Brown, Vitori Buatava, Brendan Cannon, Scott Daruda, Luke Doherty, Scott Fava, Josh Fuimaono, Kiti Fuluna, Josh Graham, Gareth Hardy, Matt Henjak, James Hilgendorf, Matt Hodgson, Digby Ioane, Jon McGrath, Tai McIsaac, Pat O'Connor, Junior Pelesasa, David Pocock, David Pusey, Haig Sare, Angus Scott, Cameron Shepherd, Scott Staniforth, James Stannard, Brett Stapleton, Troy Takiari, AJ Whalley, Matt Windle.
Thought there might be some coverage on Sky but their interest in SH rugby seems to have wained since the Premiership started, they don't even seem to be showing the South African match either
I find it strange that Foxtel isn't doing any coverage, or even ten who has reportedly got delayed rights for Super 14 07 and Live Rugby World Cup.
Force storm to the top

Saturday September 09 2006

Reds humbled at Ballymore

Western Force raced to the top of the Australian Provincial Championship (APC) with a comprehensive 32-6 victory over the Reds at Ballymore, Brisbane, on Saturday. The four-try bonus-point win saw the Force overtake the Brumbies in first place on the standings after Week One.

The Perth-based side showed the Reds they are certainly a Force to be reckoned with - excuse the pun - by crossing the line four times and preventing any comeback the Reds had to offer.

The visitors outmuscled and outclassed the Reds to celebrate their first win over a Super 14 rival on Australian soil and take their well earned place at the top of the standings.

Former school-boy sprint champion Brett Stapleton proved that you can't teach an old dog new tricks by speeding past the hapless Reds defenders to cross the line twice in the opening seven minutes.

Wallaby hooker Brendan Cannon made a memorable return to representative rugby, scoring a try in his first game since surgery on a serious neck injury in April.

The 40-Test hooker got the ball on the wing, and even despite slipping over, had time to score before half-time to give his team a handy 22-6 lead.

A fired-up Cannon was at times a little over zealous in his approach and was given 10 minutes in the sin bin by referee Andrew Lindsay, after several punch-ups.

The final nail in the Reds' coffin came when fullback Haig Sare cruised over the Queensland line from a well taken cross field kick to notch up the valuable bonus point-clinching try.

Force fly-half Scott Daruda put his boot to good use by slotting two penalties and three conversions to complete the scoring for his team.

For the Reds, fullback Andrew Brown could only manage two penalties and leave the field as the only point scorer for the home team.

Despite the score-line, Jones was not pessimistic about his team's future chances.

"Whilst I'm disappointed, it's not the end-of-the-world stuff yet," said Jones.

"We're trying a few different things, it just didn't work today."

The Reds had their fair share of field position and possession but were let down by poor handling.

"We created enough opportunities to at least put pressure on them but the execution of those final passes was pretty dreadful," the Reds coach added.

Victory tasted even sweeter for a number of the young guns in the Force line-up who had either played for the Queensland state side or grew up in the state.

Jones was left eating his words after the former Wallaby head honcho branded the visitors a "Reds C" team.

"As much as we spoke about it, our attitude going into the game probably wasn't what it needed to be," admitted Jones.

Western Force coach John Mulvihill said the team had trained with enthusiasm and energy all week, and they brought that spark onto the paddock.

He said the team stuck to structure, were solid in defence and counter-rucked with intent.

"Our execution in attack was first class, particularly in the opening 20 minutes," said Mulvihill.

"Matty Henjak and Scotty Daruda really controlled the game and outplayed their opposite numbers."

The scorers:

Western Force:
Tries: Stapleton 2, Cannon, Sare
Cons: Daruda 3
Pens: Daruda 2

Queensland Reds
Pens: Brown 2

Yellow Cards: Cannon

Reds: 15 Andrew Brown, 14 Henari Veratau, 13 Ben Tune, 12 Lloyd Johansson, 11 Caleb Brown, 10 Peter Hynes, 9 Dominic Fuller, 8 John
Roe ©, 7 David Croft, 6 Mitchell Chapman, 5 Ed O’Donoghue, 4 James Horwill, 3 Herman Hunt, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 David Amosa.
Replacements: 16 Sean Hardman, 17 Peter Loane, 18 Cameron Treloar, 19 Ben Mowen , 20 David Campbell, 21 Brett Gillespie, 22 Brando Va’alu.

Western Force: 15 Haig Sare, 14 Digby Ioane, 13 Josh Graham, 12 Junior Pelesasa, 11 Brett Stapleton, 10 Scott Daruda, 9 Matt Henjak, 8 Richard Brown, 7 Dave Pocock, 6 Josh Fuimaono, 5 Luke Doherty ©, 4 Pat O’Connor, 3 Angus Scott, 2 Brendan Cannon, 1 Gareth Hardy.
Replacements: 16 AJ Whalley, 17 Troy Takiari, 18 Kiti Fuluna, 19 Matt Hodgson, 20 Jon McGrath, 21 Vitori Buatava, 22 James Stannard.

Referee: Andrew Lindsay
Touch judges: Scott Young, Geoff Acton
Assessor: Ian Scotney


Brumbies edge 'Tahs in APC opener

Friday September 08 2006

Huxley boots home team to victory

The Brumbies recorded the first win of the inaugural Australian Provincial Championship (APC), when they edge the Waratahs 14-13 in a gripping match in testing conditions at Viking Park in Canberra on Friday.

The teams scored one try each, but Julian Huxley's boot provided the marginal difference - his three penalties beating the conversion and two penalties of Peter Hewat.

Despite the rain, which threatened to spoil the first match in this inaugural series, the Viking Park surface held firm.

Huxley opened the scoring in the second minute, with a penalty from 30 metres out, after referee Paul Marks penalised the Waratahs for holding on at the breakdown.

While the Waratahs failed to take their early opportunities in the wet conditions, the Brumbies were making the most of the field position.

Huxley had another shot at goal after 12 minutes, when the 'Tahs were penalised for offside at the line-out. But this time Huxley's attempt from the same position as his first shot was low and away to the left.

The Waratahs continued to squander their chances, far too often fumbling the ball.

Midway through the half Huxley had a third shot at goal, when Hewat was caught in possession. This time Huxley's kick from 30 metres out was good and the Brumbies had moved into a 6-0 lead.

The 'Tahs finally managed to put points on the board - after another series of raids came to nothing - when the Brumbies were ruled to have been offside. Hewat made no mistake and narrowed the gap to 6-3.

Four minutes later Huxley had another shot at goal, as the penalties continued to rain down in the stadium as hard as the clouds from the air. But Huxley missed again, low and to the left of the posts.

The first try of the match came one minute from half-time - when the Waratahs took a quick tap from a penalty and, with the line in sight, Brumbies fly-half Gene Fairbanks knocks the ball down while returning onside. Fairbanks was yellow carded and the Waratahs were awarded a penalty try. Hewat added the conversion to give his team a 10-6 lead at the break.

The second-half started with the Brumbies persisting with the kicking game, putting the ball deep into Waratah territory.

The visitors went further ahead in the 52nd minute, when the Brumbies were penalised for offside. Hewat made no mistake and at 13-6 the 'Tahs looked good.

But five minutes later, after the Waratahs had wasted another opportunity, saw the Brumbies score through hooker James McCormack. Huxley failed to add the extras, but they were back in the game at 13-8.

With 10 minutes remaining the Brumbies got another penalty within striking distance, after the Waratahs were penalised for holding on in the ruck. Huxley's shot sneaked over the crossbar, but it had put the Brumbies back into the lead at 14-13.

Hewat had a chance to regain the lead and possibly win the match in the 76th minute, but his shot was just away to the right.

The same happened to Huxley a minute later, but his shot was from 47 meters out and it was away to the right.


For the Brumbies:
Try: McCormack
Pens: Huxley 3

For the Waratahs:
Try: Penalty try
Con: Hewat
Pens: Hewat 2


Brumbies: 15 Julian Huxley, 14 Tim Wright, 13 Matt Carraro, 12 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 11 Francis Faninifo, 10 Gene Fairbanks, 9 Patrick Phibbs, 8 Stephen Hoiles, 7 Julian Salvi, 6 Marty Wilson, 5 Scott Flint, 4 Al Campbell (captain), 3 Salesi Ma'afu, 2 James McCormack, 1 Nic Henderson.
Replacements: 16 Saia Faingaa, 17 John Ulugia, 18 Chris Aho, 19 Ben White/Brendan O'Neill, 20 Nick Haydo, 21 Tim Curra, 22 Jason Lagaali.

Waratahs: 15 Peter Hewat, 14 Lloyd Jones, 13 Ben Jacobs, 12 Tom Carter, 11 Nick Reily, 10 Daniel Halangahu, 9 Josh Holmes, 8 David Lyons, 7 Beau Robinson, 6 Dean Mumm, 5 Will Caldwell, 4 Ben Hand, 3 Aaron Broughton-Rouse, 2 Adam Freier ©, 1 Matt Dunning.
Replacements: 16 Al Manning, 17 Matt Skillecorn, 18 Shawn Mackay, 19 Tim Davidson, 20 Dave Rimmer, 21 Sam Harris, 22 Morgan Turinui.

Referee: Paul Marks
Touch judges: Brett Bowden, Nathan Kearns
Assessor: Mick Keogh

Really disappointed with Fox not covering this series. Would get good exposure for some of the lesser known players. Anyway good to see the Force chalking up a win.

Latest posts