Australian rugby CEO to propose law changes

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
See what you think:
http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/182286.html

Australian rugby is looking to introduce two radical law changes as part of a proposed second-tier competition to develop the next generation of Super Rugby players and Wallabies, Bill Pulver said in an exclusive interview with Greg Growden for ESPNscrum.

The proposal, to be aired by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) chief executive at an International Rugby Board (IRB) meeting in Dublin, is part of a strategy designed to develop "kids currently sitting in rugby academies in Brisbane and Sydney doing a lot of coaching and training, and actually putting them in a real-life developmental competition", Pulver told ESPNscrum before departing Australia for Europe.

"The main objective is to accelerate elite development so we win more games at a Super Rugby level," Pulver said, noting that Super Rugby coaches and chief executives all want greater depth of playing talent. "The secondary objective is to capture the hearts and minds of our rugby fans again with some exciting innovations, as well as filling the stadia again. The third objective is to find a component of the game, which can be packaged up for television."

Pulver says the concept will allow Australia's Super Rugby franchises each to expand their playing roster to "45 or 50" players, as has been requested by team coaches and management, and matches would be played as curtain raisers ahead of Super Rugby derby fixtures.

"What this would do is that you use the infrastructure of the Super Rugby franchises," Pulver told ESPNscrum. "The grounds are already paid for. They are actually paid for from 5pm, when you open the gates. So no more costs there. Most of the Super Rugby franchises have already got four coaches. And you'd only have two travel teams each week. Travel is probably going to be the most significant cost. Player payments will have to be managed carefully."

The radical part of Pulver's proposal is his concept of "a one-hour game of rugby" featuring two specific law changes "designed at creating a frenetic-paced game based around smart running rugby".

"You can't have a 40-10-40-minute footy game as a curtain raiser and expect people to turn up at 5pm. They won't. They never have. We want to create an environment, which on the one hand exposes young talent to the Australian rugby public; and maybe do that through a draft, so you distribute that talent around the franchises, but it also focuses its energies on displaying smart, creative rugby. It is a case of where we have listened to the complaints about stoppages, and the frustration of the game. So here's a unique brand of the game where we kick off at 6pm and be over by 7pm.

"In the ideal world I would love two rule changes, and I have to work through this with the IRB. It would be 25-minute halves, no penalty goals, and five-minute yellow cards for infringements in your own half. The yellow card will be a bit like water polo; the rule I love in water polo is that if you infringe when they are attacking your goal, you are out of the pool until they score. Great rule. Our equivalent would be, in a 25-minute game; an infringing player is off the field for five minutes or until the opposition scores."

Pulver says broadcast executives have shown "interest in it" as "we look to relaunch rugby" in Australia, but he does accept that his proposal has a number of obstacles to cross even apart from the IRB's involvement in the suggested law changes.

"The tricky bit is that you don't want to … kill Premier Rugby," Pulver said of Australia's club rugby scene. "So we are looking at positioning this at the front end of the Super Rugby competition and that it complements club rugby, while potentially linking into Sevens programs. Club rugby starts in April. We might defer club rugby, so that it starts in May - and have this development competition going through until May. Then the players would go to club rugby."

Pulver also accepts that "there must a concern that if you are using this as a developmental process, what is the point of them playing a different game?"

"We are trying to satisfy multiple objectives here," he said. "The public is frustrated with stoppages in the game, so this is a very obvious attempt to show an effect to address that. It is also teaching the kids the skills required to play smart, creative rugby running. You'll have scrums, lineouts, and you are basically preparing them for Super Rugby, but there are a couple of compromises, which will add some excitement to the game."

Some of it is sensible. Lots of it is batshit crazy.

A/u20 teams playing on the same weekends against the same opponents as their senior counterparts makes sense. It helps player development at a relatively minimal cost. 25 minute halves is nonsensical in anything other than a pre-season, non-competitive game. I don't mind his sin bin proposal in theory but it needs a lot of tweaks. Eventually I think rugby will move closer to ice hockey and water polo in the frequency with which yellow cards/sin binnings are handed out.

Hate most of it. Scary coming from a CEO.

What you need ARU - and stay with me on this one, IS A F*CKING DOMESTIC COMPETITION!

Changing the rules to make it more of a spectacle - for a secondary tournament which has the goal of producing premier rugby players - is f*cking stupid. You don't want an audience getting interested in a game which is like rugby union but with rules to try and make it more of a spectacle - they already have that: it's called league and it's f*cking Australian rugby up enough. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If it did gain interest, you'd still get the same people complaining about Super Rugby and International rugby anyway.

If they created a domestic competition - they would build depth. It's that simple. Right now Australian players who aren't internationals have **** all to do after Super Rugby, unless they try and join the NPC. If they got off their arses and created an 8-12 team secondary competition they'd be significantly be better off. It wouldn't even matter so much about pay - seeing as they already want to increase the squad sizes up to 50 players (idiots...). The only thing they'd have to pay for is stadiums - which means there would have to be obvious concessions to playing in the big stadiums, but to be honest they probably wouldn't get massive crowds anyway - so playing in some smaller venues would hardly be an issue.

I feel like at some point NZRU/SARU should tell the ARU that they have to start dealing with their own issues and get a domestic competition. They have Super Rugby teams which are stock full of NZ players (Western Force for example), and yet they produce **** ideas like this one as a substitute.

Sheer madness!

He's trying to invent a sort of 20/20 for rugby.

The idea of playing a youth game before the actual game is a good one, watering down the game is not going to develop the players as well it dosen't make sense.

I'm sure this hasn't just occured to me but if this did happen surely it would just train a generation of young, talented players to play a game vasty different from what they were suposedly being groomed to take part in. Lack of penality goals is going to encourage enfringement (especially at the breakdown), changes in yellow card rules on the scale suggested is going to lead to a whole lot of confusion for players in what they can and can't do when they move up to the big time and shortening halves is going to leave young players behind fitness weise when they step up. Also, I can't imagine such a scheme would develop many quality tight five forwards, which is something the Australian national team arguably needs.

I'm sure it would be an exciting spectacle in a casual, beer drinking sort of way but it wouldn't be rugby. The idea of pre-match youth games is a good one though.

I'm with Nick, domestic competitions are the way forward. It is no coniscidence that South Afria and New Zealand have strong domestic compatitions and consistantly strong national and Super Rugby teams.

We have a 20/20 version of rugby already - well, more than one - sevens and tens. That new format is silly, although an ice hockey style "bring the binned player back on if they score" is an idea not completely without merit.

You could easily play double headers with the juniors up first (or women, for that matter) - that is sensible. I have to agree with Nick - Australia could do with a secondary competition when the Kiwis and Saffas have the ITM and Currie cups respectively.

Latest posts