• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian Sporting Priority

He'll be a one man team....but eventually his standard will drop through training and playing with such players. The crowds will be bigger for a little while, but they'll gradually get over it....same with the team..he'll help develop them for a while but then it'll just go down hill. So in the end I think the only positive for Beckham is the money. The only positive for fans and players alike is a few months of help and entertainment because after that it'll just be dull.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("O'Rothlain")</div>
F'n Soccer.

It's on the rise in the US, believe it or not.
I'd have to Say in America it's like this:

baseball
football
basketball
hockey
soccer[/b]

Your list is almost completely wrong, if you're talking popularity. NFL is by far the number one amongst traditional sports. NASCAR is number two on the list. It is very, very close to the NFL. Don't believe me? Look at the TV contracts. NASCAR and the NFL are the only sports with a $4billion TV deal. After that Baseball is next and they just signed a gigantic TV deal as well, which places them comfortably at number 3. Basketball also makes a serious indent into the American market. They are pretty close to baseball. After those big 4 it's a complete and utter drop off. (Ice) Hockey took a massive nose dive and are a complete laughing stock. It's farcical to even think that SI 10 years ago had said Hockey would overtake basketball in terms of popularity. To give you a perspective hockey and soccer draw lower audience figures than poker, so they are pretty well irrelevant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Canadian Rugger")</div>
I even shy away from including Baseball because it really is dying in Canada[/b]

I don't know about that. There are more Canadians than there ever have been in MLB and attendance at Jays games are up from previous years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Rugby Cymru")</div>
There are so many HUGE countries with hundreds of millions of people in (canada, usa, india, china etc.) that were they to get popular they would surely become world dominators, leaving behind the likes of England, France and Germany.[/b]

There are only 30million people in Canada, we'd never have the focus or the interest to be a top nation at soccer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(O'Rothlian")</div>
No, I think you're right...any sport that America takes to heart, they can dominate. We have not only loads of people, but are obsessed with sport technology and training.[/b]

No, it's whatever sport makes money Americans can dominate at. Without the multi-million contracts you will never attract all those potentially great athletes in the ghetto. That's why the future of rugby in America depends greatly on how the grassroots rugby programs in the NYC ghettos works out. Without that USA is forever doomed to mediocrity.

the future of rugby in America depends greatly on how the grassroots rugby programs in the NYC ghettos works out.
[/b]
I laughed so hard a little bit of my Powerade came out of my nose.
NYC Ghettos and Rugby...a winning combo!

I thought there were more than 30 million Canadians.
Oh well, i still don't see how you came to the conclusion that your country won't have the focus necessary to make football big.
Football's huge here in Wales and we're only 3 million. We're not good at it, but if we had ten times as many people in this country (like you do) then it they would undoubtedly be better.

I think you just wanted to be argumentative in your last post, didn't you?

i think that in wales football is huge, and the premiership undoubtably has a huge pull on welsh people. however rugby is our national sport, nothing like a rugby international captivates the welsh imagination, i mean 1 in 75 welshmen travelling up to scotland for an away day would never happen in anyform of football. or on in every 10 welshmen coming to cardiff grandslam day would never happen in any shape of football.

welsh people like wtaching football, they support club teams, like i support united, but welsh rugby is ingrained into our national identity. its part of our patriotism, and we are very fanatical about it, in temrs of club football may be watched by more, but with the national set up, nothing unites our nation more than rugby does

1.rugby
2.football
3.wwe wrestling

Firstly WWE is seriously followed that closely by Welshmen?

Anyway, talking of the AFL, I've been watching it some over the last few years and have to say I like it more and more every match. Anyone want to give me some tips on how to follow it?

Anyway, talking of the AFL, I've been watching it some over the last few years and have to say I like it more and more every match. Anyone want to give me some tips on how to follow it?
[/b]

Like where to view the games?

Understanding the rules?

Teams to watch?

what would you like to know?

A brief explanation of the rules and scoring structure...
I understand that the game is all about getting the ball to a position to kick. As in they run and/or kick the ball to get it to a player who is lined up to take a shot at goal. I understand that the center posts are worth more points (3?) and that the outer post are worth fewer (1?). It's my understanding that there really isn't any offsides, but outside of that I don't understand what the players defensively or offensively are trying to do...
I assume the defense is trying to tie up the offense...they can't fully tackle, but they try to wrap up and hinder movement? I don't understand what constitutes a turnover or what penalties are. Also, is there offensive strategy? I would assume so.

Outside of that, who are the teams at the top? Also, I assume it's fully proffesional (the AFL), so what type of salaries do those guys pull? Also, underneath the AFL what is the system like...by that I mean when do kids start playing and what is the development like.

This much I know Essendon Bombers and Melbourne Demon play each other in almost identical kits but no-one seemed to bother and a bunch of guys dressed as butchers adjudicate the game.

Seriously though it's a really good game....big similarities to Gaelic Football. Good fun especially if oyu are down that way.

There's also the International Rules series, between amateur Irish GAA players and professional AFL players.

Here's a sample
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIGREZw4Sr4...ted&search=
GAA is tough, but I think professional "beats" amateur.

What I love is that the Aussie no.2 commits a red card offence, but instead of looking guilty when the Irish come in to teach him a lesson stands his ground and commits another one, and another one. But afterwards, they all got together and had a few pints, errr .... no!

I like the series, but maybe it needs better reffing?????

In case you're confused about the scoring: punching an Irishman in the face is worth 1 point, knee to the groin is 3, and kicking Paddy's head into the back of the net gets you a shoulder-high lap of honour.

Actually, belting the ball into the net is 6 points, and the rest is like AFL.

There's also the International Rules series, between amateur Irish GAA players and professional AFL players.
[/b]
Yeah...I started a thread about that a month before the last IRS. I've watched the last two times.
My Father-in-law played GAA his whole life, so I've pretty much got that down, and can see the obvious similarities.
AFL is just extremely interesting to me for some reason.

AFL will never have the same draw as rugby for me, but it's really fun to go and watch live. Went to see Essendon Bombers vs Geelong Cats last season and had a blast. Even went out and bought a Bombers jersey, which makes a nice unusual bit of sporting memorabilia this side of the equator. Even had an Aussie comment on it walking through the streets once.

The Bombers seem a bit **** generally though. All I can remember is that Scott Lucas seems pretty awesome, and some little Aboriginal guy (Andrew Walker?) was also fairly decent.

I've actually wanted to get one of those shirts...even though my wife is not a fan of anything "sleeveless" on a guy. Who is she to determine the covering of my arms? Everyone should see the gun show...EVERYONE!!!

AFL will never have the same draw as rugby for me, but it's really fun to go and watch live. Went to see Essendon Bombers vs Geelong Cats last season and had a blast. Even went out and bought a Bombers jersey, which makes a nice unusual bit of sporting memorabilia this side of the equator. Even had an Aussie comment on it walking through the streets once.

The Bombers seem a bit **** generally though. All I can remember is that Scott Lucas seems pretty awesome, and some little Aboriginal guy (Andrew Walker?) was also fairly decent.
[/b]
Bah, don't talk to me about the Bombers... still at least when I still followed them when I lived in Melbourne it was during the Glory Years... now it's just sad.

Think I still got my scarf and No. 5 (James Hird) Jersey somewhere.

<div class='quotemain'>
What is it like by country?

Australia - Rugby/AFL

[/b]

Unfortunatley rugby is nowhere near the top sport over here.

It's AFL/Cricket, followed by League, then Rugby/Soccer fighting it out for 4th & 5th.
[/b][/quote]

As strange as it seems, swimming gets fairly high viewing numbers... apparently. I heard this last year and couldn't believe it. AFL, Cricket, Soccer, NRL, Swimming.... then Rugby, yes that's right. Soccer and NRL usually vary a little and Swimming seemingly has eased off a little in recent years.

As strange as it seems, swimming gets fairly high viewing numbers... apparently. I heard this last year and couldn't believe it. AFL, Cricket, Soccer, NRL, Swimming.... then Rugby, yes that's right. Soccer and NRL usually vary a little and Swimming seemingly has eased off a little in recent years. [/b]
Swimming is only on free-to-air TV a few times a year though, and as a result large amounts of people will tune in, in chunks.

A brief explanation of the rules and scoring structure...
I understand that the game is all about getting the ball to a position to kick. As in they run and/or kick the ball to get it to a player who is lined up to take a shot at goal. I understand that the center posts are worth more points (3?) and that the outer post are worth fewer (1?). It's my understanding that there really isn't any offsides, but outside of that I don't understand what the players defensively or offensively are trying to do...

[/b]

from wiki....

Scoring

Australian rules football goal posts - the two tall central posts are the goal posts, and the two shorter outer posts are the behind posts.At each end of the field are four vertical posts. The middle two are the goal posts and the two on either side, which are shorter, are the behind posts, or point posts.

A goal is scored when the football is propelled through the goal posts at any height (including above the height of the posts) by way of a kick from the attacking team. It may fly through on the full or bounce through and must not be touched, on the way, by any player from either team. A goal cannot be scored from the foot of an opposition (defending) player.

A behind is scored when the ball passes between a goal post and a behind post at any height, or if the ball hits a goal post, or if an attacking player sends the ball between the goal posts by touching it with any part of the body other than a foot. A behind is also awarded to the attacking team if the ball touches any part of an opposition player, including their foot, before passing between the goal posts. When an opposition player deliberately scores a behind for the attacking team (generally as a last resort, due to the risk of them scoring a goal) this is termed a rushed behind.

If the ball hits one of the behind posts, the ball is considered out of bounds and no score is awarded.

A goal is worth 6 points whereas a behind is worth 1 point. The Goal Umpire signals a goal with two hands raised at elbow height, a behind with one hand, and then confirms the signal with the other goal umpire by waving flags above his head.

The team that has scored the most points at the end of play wins the game. If the scores are level on points at the end of play, then the game is a draw.

As an example, consider a match between St. Kilda and the Sydney Swans. St. Kilda's score of 15 goals and 11 behinds equates to 101 points. Sydney's score of eight goals and ten behinds equates to a 58 point tally. St. Kilda wins the match by a margin of 43 points. Such a result would be written as:

St. Kilda 15.11 (101) defeated Sydney Swans 8.10 (58);
and said,

"St. Kilda fifteen eleven one hundred and one defeated Sydney Swans eight ten fifty-eight."

who are the teams at the top?[/b]

The West Coast Eagles are the best team in the league, they are the reigning champs and are currently top of the ladder.... they play the most attractive brand of footy and also happen to be the the team i've supported all my life :cheers:. Other top teams include the Sydney Swans,Adelaide Crows and Western Bulldogs although it's still very early in the season and the top teams tend to change every few years(it's a very even competition).

Also, I assume it's fully proffesional (the AFL), so what type of salaries do those guys pull?[/b]

AFL players are on average the highest paid of all the football codes in Australia. Players salaries range from around $150,000 to $1,000,000 with the average wage between $250,000 to $300,000 a year.

Also, underneath the AFL what is the system like...by that I mean when do kids start playing and what is the development like.[/b]

Well, alot of kids these days start off playing in Auskick programs or for their local club from as early as the age of 5.

Below the AFL there are semi-professional leagues in each state like the VFL,WAFL,SANFL etc.. where most players play before getting drafted into the AFL. These lower leagues are also where the remainder of AFL squad members play when not selected for the match day team.

You'll have to forgive me if i've forgotten to answer any of your questions, it's ANZAC day over here so i've probably had a few too many (if there is such a thing).

[/b]

Essendon would be my team too.

Watch the bombers fly up, up....

Latest posts