• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Automatic 22m advance in the case of PK

sigesige00

Bench Player
When a PK is awarded, it is very often that the PK side try to advance by touch-kick.
However, it is not easy to gain much territory when the place of PK is close to touch-line, and it is impossible to do that in the case of no remaining time. (For example, the PK side are trying turnaround 6 point difference after 80mins.)
So, I propose a new rule. The side who is awarded PK can advance 22m without touch-kick, and take lineout from there (both touch-lines are OK).
What do you think?

Last edited:
This is one of your less crazy ideas, and certainly would deter people from giving away needless penalties.
However I wouldn't want it implemented as it negates the skills of talented kickers.

This is one of your less crazy ideas, and certainly would deter people from giving away needless penalties.
However I wouldn't want it implemented as it negates the skills of talented kickers.

Thank you for your response.
I think that talented kickers who can gain more than 22m would try to gain territory by kicking. (Although that is impossible after 80mins.)

Thank you for your response.
I think that talented kickers who can gain more than 22m would try to gain territory by kicking. (Although that is impossible after 80mins.)

it's also nearly impossible to score a try from your own 22 after 80 min. the pressure is on, the defending team in the lead knows that just one mistake will end the game and make them winners, or if the team in their own 22 concede a penalty, then the team in the lead could extend their lead and deny the losing team a bonus point.

Either way, the team in their own 22 are there for a reason, they have to make plan to get out of there!

Don't you misunderstand what I wrote? I did not mean 22m line, but 22m advance from the PK place.

What do you think about introducing RL's PTB into RU? In the case of Penalties, 22m advance is awarded and play restarts from that point by PTB. Is that ridiculous?

When a PK is awarded, it is very often that the PK side try to advance by touch-kick.
However, it is not easy to gain much territory when the place of PK is close to touch-line, and it is impossible to do that in the case of no remaining time. (For example, the PK side are trying turnaround 6 point difference after 80mins.)
So, I propose a new rule. The side who is awarded PK can advance 22m without touch-kick, and take lineout from there (both touch-lines are OK).
What do you think?

How about the kicker kicking from anywhere across the width of the pitch in line with where the penalty was given.

Is it really a problem? I can only see it causing more problems than solving them.

Last edited:
I have another idea.
I was watching a game. In the last minutes of the 1st half, Team A was attacking in the Team B's 22m zone, and there was several chances of try. But Team B defended well, and Team A conceded a penalty after 40 mins. So a PK was awarded to Team B. However, this penalty is almost meaningless. Kicking a PG is too far, touch-kick ends the 1st half, and attack from deep own half is dangerous because of the possibility of counter-attack. So Team B kicked the ball out of dead-ball line and the 1st half ended. For such cases, I'd like to suggest a new scoring system: in the case of penalty, 1 point can be scored by abandoning the right to kick a PK.

- - - Updated - - -

Conversion and remaining time.
In the ending time, Team A was trying to turnaround 9-point difference. Team A scored a try and point difference became 4 points.
Normally conversion is kicked by place-kicker, but there was not enough time for a place kick. So the player who scored the try kicked hurriedly by a drop-kick, and Team A tried to win by the last play.
In such cases, time is more important than conversion points. So this could be good: 1 point is automatically scored by abandoning kicking conversion.

Last edited:

Latest posts