• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 16/17 - Round 1

Cips having a bad game

Yeah feels like he's not quite there doesn't it? Several poorly chosen and/or poorly executed kicks. Maybe just a case of getting used to the players around him and them getting used to him (as I think Ben Kay said at one point).

Exeter good value for their lead, defending well and making few mistakes, especially for the first game of the season.

Will be interesting Diamond had a team worked around cips, cips will not have that @ Wasps IMO, i mean Edwards was brought in because he was friends with Cips.

Gopperth could eaisly become the starting 10 once Beale is fit and le roux arrives.

I think Slade's having quite a good game considering it's his first real game at 10 for nearly a year. Good kicking (apart from that one kick off) and pretty good in the loose.

Sadly neither of our wings can defend and Woodburn's been pretty poor generally. Hill's been running well though, although Devoto's been fairly anonymous. I'd like to see Nowell replace Dollman when he returns, I'm
not quite sure what Doll offers.

Hepburn that hit!!

Devoto hasn't really had much opportunity, Chiefs been keeping it very simple and not really going through the hands much - one of those days an outside centre doesn't get much action. Agree on Slade.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Chiefs defence has been very solid, and you don't get that without the 13 doing a good job.

Devoto hasn't really had much opportunity, Chiefs been keeping it very simple and not really going through the hands much - one of those days an outside centre doesn't get much action. Agree on Slade.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Chiefs defence has been very solid, and you don't get that without the 13 doing a good job.

I wasn't saying Devoto's done anything wrong, he's been reliable and reliability is all Chiefs ever really ask from their back line, I would just like to maybe see a bit more creativity from him. But as you say, he hasn't had much of an opportunity.

Also he hasn't really played 13 before has he?

He has, he played everywhere for Bath depending where the gaps were, usually only for one or two games at a time. But yes, in general he hasn't been seen as a 13.

Exeter look bloody knackered. Too many lineouts and not enough fitness in pre-season?

I wasn't saying Devoto's done anything wrong, he's been reliable and reliability is all Chiefs ever really ask from their back line, I would just like to maybe see a bit more creativity from him. But as you say, he hasn't had much of an opportunity.

Hopefully it'll come, certainly the simple gameplan worked in the first half but in the second you could do with a bit more ambition I think

I just saw that Devoto's been Exeter's second highest tackler this game (10). All is forgiven.

Chiefs should've gone for the line out, Slade was never gonna make that kick.

Chiefs are dead on their feet at the moment. There's no coming back for them. Slade shifting to 12 is a good move, but too late.

EDIT: Never mind, he's at 13 with Devoto 12. When will Baxter realise that Slade is not an OC?

Last edited:
How was that last penalty against the Chiefs...? I just saw Wasps players go through the middle then fall to the floor yet somehow they get the penalty?

How was that last penalty against the Chiefs...? I just saw Wasps players go through the middle then fall to the floor yet somehow they get the penalty?

This ref's been useless all game. Made decisions against the wrong team throughout (Not saying there's any bias, he's been wrongly penalising both teams).

Exeter looked the more complete team but Wasps looked fitter still need to click though.

Next week Tigers v Wasps will be interesting.

The fitness from Exeter just wasn't there. As well as 0 impact from the bench. Yeandle, Holmes, Parling, Dennis, Lewis and Steenson are all fine players but what do they add? I think Chiefs need to look at changing who starts and who's on the bench.

Fitness and pace is what Wasps do, we push it for 60, then bring on the likes of AJ, Simpson etc and push it harder again. Scored the most points in the final 20 last season I believe.

The fitness from Exeter just wasn't there. As well as 0 impact from the bench. Yeandle, Holmes, Parling, Dennis, Lewis and Steenson are all fine players but what do they add? I think Chiefs need to look at changing who starts and who's on the bench.

Maybe they needed to recruit more players?

Holmes and Dennis are good signings as is Devoto.

But IMO you need another top Back 3 player.

- - - Updated - - -

Fitness and pace is what Wasps do, we push it for 60, then bring on the likes of AJ, Simpson etc and push it harder again. Scored the most points in the final 20 last season I believe.

yeh 21 Exeter scored 20 which is surprising given today game.

Makes me think Chiefs are just fine on the fitness stakes, and it's Wasps who're very fit. Which would also fit with what I've been told.

Fitness and bench impact was a large part of it, also I would say the gameplan was very limited. In the first half that didn't matter as it was working, but in the second they could've done with a Plan B, especially with the 10-12-13 axis they had - actually as the second half wore on I came to agree with you about that. Slade has to take some blame, he's the one setting the tone for how the backs play from 10, if he's going to be FH long term (and potentially for England), he needs to be able to play different styles with the players at his disposal. Not saying he didn't play well by any stretch, but an area to improve.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes me think Chiefs are just fine on the fitness stakes, and it's Wasps who're very fit. Which would also fit with what I've been told.

I don't agree, individual Exeter players looked noticeably tired going into contact and there was too much walking going on, that's got nothing to do with the players in front of them.

Latest posts