• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 16/17 - Round 1

Surprised to see Beaumont and Pearce that way round, also to see Philips starting over Stringer - rest as expected. I reckon we'll stick with the 6-2 bench split until one of Haley/Arscott/Charnley is available
Perhaps Beaumont is looking to push for the blindside spot for England?

Can you imagine being the Burns brothers' parents for this game? Wondering where it all went wrong with Freddie.

Errr.... The Burns parents are (were) Bath fans first and foremost - hence them both starting off in Bath's academy

Just noticed that Manu's christian name is an anagram of Samu Manoa.

I'm probably years late to the party, but is there a South Sea island subtlety somewhere that has eluded me, or pure coincidence?
Manusamoa was the name of a Samoan warrior, and Manu Samoa is the name of their rugby side. Presume Samu Manoa is a tribute, of sorts.

I was wondering if Beaumont at 6 was with half an eye on England. Would certainly easier to break in on the flank than at 8. For Sale I don't think it makes any difference, I imagine they'll interchange where they pack down depending on what we're running from the back of the scrum, and the number on their back isn't going to change the rest of their game. Josh probably got the nod at 6 as he's faster so covers more ground from the side of the scrum on defence.

Well we've put out the side I predicted.

A good preseason with (for once) very little injuries to cope with. A few summer signings showing up exceptionally well...and a few of the youngsters have seriously put their hand up after showing potential for the last few years.

Theres a quiet confidence around KP this season...which pleases and worries me at the same time.

"Guess who's back, back again. Bristol's back, tell a friend" etc etc

I have waited soooo long and put up with all the jokes, stresses and at times huge, mourning-esque, disappointment. Cannot wait to see us run out

"Guess who's back, back again. Bristol's back, tell a friend" etc etc

I have waited soooo long and put up with all the jokes, stresses and at times huge, mourning-esque, disappointment. Cannot wait to see us run out

Wish you well and hope you enjoy every minute of being back in the big time........however, I might have to wait a little longer to do likewise!!

Freddie got a nasty knee injury after doing well for England. His kicking percentage tanked on return, and his head was fecked due to the contract dealings with tigers, to the point at which reports suggest that Nigel Davies wasn't letting him in on team meetings, and yet due to injuries, Freddie was starting. At Tigers he's had a number of injuries, but whenever he's been on the pitch he's looked quite good. Don't know if he's still in with a genuine chance for England, he's not over the hill, but I'm not sure he offers enough over the other options. Given his size, probably his best bet is to supplement his attacking talent with some aggressive defence, but even then, would you necessarily look to basically bring in an older Slade, when you have the actual Slade in place.

Lozowski has a real chance I suspect. His defence for Wasps was at times very aggressive, I think he'll fit right in at Sarries, and he also has the attack. Question is, can he raise it all to international standard.

Bristol Team

15. Jack Wallace; 14. Ryan Edwards, 13. Will Hurrell, 12. Gavin Henson, 11. Tom Varndell; 10. Tusi Pisi, 9. Will Cliff; 1. Soane Tonga'uiha, 2. Ross McMillan, 3. Gaston Cortes, 4. James Phillips, 5. Ben Glynn, 6. Jon Fisher, 7. Jack Lam (c), 8. Jordan Crane.

Replacements: 16. Chris Brooker, 17. Kyle Traynor, 18. Anthony Perenise, 19. Joe Joyce, 20. Olly Robinson, 21. Mitch Eadie, 22. Rhodri Williams, 23. Ben Mosses.

Good team, not quite 100% strength but close, mention for James Phillips, played in the last Bristol Premiership game

Bath Rugby team to face Northampton Saints

15 Tom Homer
14 Semesa Rokoduguni
13 Jonathan Joseph
12 Max Clark
11 Matt Banahan
10 George Ford
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
1 Nathan Catt
2 Ross Batty
3 Henry Thomas
4 Charlie Ewels
5 Dave Attwood
6 Matt Garvey (c)
7 David Denton
8 Taulupe Faletau

Replacements

16 Tom Dunn
17 Nick Auterac
18 Kane Palma-Newport
19 David Sisi
20 Tom Ellis
21 Chris Cook
22 Rhys Priestland
23 Jeff Williams

Denton at 7 would be the biggest surprise I guess - has he played there much? Not that I recall

Clark starting is cool, really interested to see how he develops.

- - - Updated - - -

Bristol Team

15. Jack Wallace; 14. Ryan Edwards, 13. Will Hurrell, 12. Gavin Henson, 11. Tom Varndell; 10. Tusi Pisi, 9. Will Cliff; 1. Soane Tonga'uiha, 2. Ross McMillan, 3. Gaston Cortes, 4. James Phillips, 5. Ben Glynn, 6. Jon Fisher, 7. Jack Lam (c), 8. Jordan Crane.

Replacements: 16. Chris Brooker, 17. Kyle Traynor, 18. Anthony Perenise, 19. Joe Joyce, 20. Olly Robinson, 21. Mitch Eadie, 22. Rhodri Williams, 23. Ben Mosses.

Good team, not quite 100% strength but close, mention for James Phillips, played in the last Bristol Premiership game

How has crane looked in preseason @TRF_SelimNiai

Last edited by a moderator:
Gloucester announced the squad I roughly expected, except for the surprise of Billy Burns at 10 ahead of Hook.

Gloucester Rugby:

15. Tom Marshall; 14. Charlie Sharples, 13. Matt Scott, 12, Billy Twelvetrees, 11. Henry Purdy; 10. Billy Burns, 9. Greig Laidlaw (capt); 1. Yann Thomas, 2. Richard Hibbard, 3. John Afoa; 4. Tom Savage, 5. Mariano Galarza; 6. Ross Moriarty, 7. Matt Kvesic, 8. Ben Morgan

Replacements:

16. Darren Dawidiuk, 17. Paddy McAllister, 18. Paul Doran-Jones, 19. Joe Latta, 20. Jacob Rowan, 21. Willi Heinz, 22. James Hook, 23. Gareth Evans

Surprised to see Burns starting, especially after last week.

Not really a fan of the 6-2 split on the bench.

Do you know what's up with Thrush? Can't find any news on him.

If we can keep Tuilagi quiet (big if), reckon we're in with a good chance tonight.

Can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

Denton at 7 would be the biggest surprise I guess - has he played there much? Not that I recall

Will be interested to hear how he gets on as I've always thought his work-rate was a bit low - not exactly ideal for a 7.

Surprised to see Burns starting, especially after last week.

Not really a fan of the 6-2 split on the bench.

Do you know what's up with Thrush? Can't find any news on him.

If we can keep Tuilagi quiet (big if), reckon we're in with a good chance tonight.

Can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

Will be interested to hear how he gets on as I've always thought his work-rate was a bit low - not exactly ideal for a 7.

Yeah seems a bit of a one dimensional 8 to me, not the type to easily transfer to 7.

Wasps team for Exeter Chiefs

15. Rob Miller
14. Christian Wade
13. Elliot Daly
12. Jimmy Gopperth
11. Josh Bassett
10. Danny Cipriani
9. Dan Robson

1. Matt Mullan
2. Tommy Taylor
3. Phil Swainston
4. Joe Launchbury ©
5. James Gaskell
6. Sam Jones
7. Guy Thompson
8. Nathan Hughes

Replacements

16. Ashley Johnson
17. Simon McIntyre
18. Marty Moore
19. Matt Symons
20.Alex Rieder
21. Joe Simpson
22.Brendan Macken
23. Frank Halai

Unavailable for selection through injury:

Forwards â€" Jake Cooper-Woolley, James Haskell, Kearnan Myall, Thomas Young
Backs â€" Guy Armitage, Kurtley Beale, Kyle Eastmond, Alapati Leiua

Willie Le Roux â€" to arrive February from Cannon Eagles, Japan.

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE WASPS

15 Phil Dollman
14 Olly Woodburn
13 Ollie Devoto
12 Sam Hill
11 Ian Whitten
10 Henry Slade
9 Will Chudley
1 Ben Moon
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Harry Williams
4 Mitch Lees
5 Damian Welch
6 Don Armand (capt)
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

16 Jack Yeandle
17 Alec Hepburn
18 Greg Holmes
19 Geoff Parling
20 Dave Dennis
21 Dave Lewis
22 Gareth Steenson
23 James Short

With my club heart fully supporting Wasps, I am really interested to see Cips at 10 and Gopperth at 12. Maybe best temporary solution until one of Leiua, Eastmond, Beale, Armitage are back from injury? Or a deliberate tactic to combat the Chiefs?

With my country heart fully supporting England, I am really interested to see Slade at 10. But also excited by the potential of that Slade/Hill/Devoto midfield. Maybe this answers the questions we have been asking about how to all the 12s would fit into the club... Just play them all!

With my country heart fully supporting England, I am really interested to see Slade at 10. But also excited by the potential of that Slade/Hill/Devoto midfield. Maybe this answers the questions we have been asking about how to all the 12s would fit into the club... Just play them all!
That doesn't help Wasps though - with 4 ICs... all injured

That doesn't help Wasps though - with 4 ICs... all injured

I know, and Eastmond was signed as the injury cover too!
I will still be watching and hoping for a Wasps win, regardless of how well the Exeter back line functions.
I think this will be a very tough challenge for Wasps, but with home advantage and the challenge of both these teams have new unsettled combinations, will mean Wasps by +5.

What's Eastmonds injury?
I'd heard he's not playing for disciplinary reasons.

What's Eastmonds injury?
I'd heard he's not playing for disciplinary reasons.

I've not heard anything along those lines, but I only have their website info to go from and I can't find anything on the wasps fan board either.

I had also forgotten that Macken and De Luca could have options for 12 too. The choice of Gopperth at 12 is probably tactical then, rather than last option available.