• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership - Round 1

Hill and Slade look great prospects, both could go for England's 12 shirt in a couple of years. Ona similar note does anyone think Devoto will be our 12 in the world cup ? I think lancaster wants him too play for England this year.

I think in the long term that Slade and Devoto will be fighting it out for the 12 shirt, both second distributors with a kicking game. Is Devoto left footed? I know Slade is. Would complement Farrell/Ford well in the same way Tindall's right complemented Jonny's left

Can't see Hill as an England 12. I don't see him developing a strong enough crash game to compensate for not being a second distributor. He wants to move to 13.

I can see Slade as an England 12 but hope he nails down a place at 10. The fact he can do both might get him a WC slot though. Devoto could be the chosen one, he potentially has everything and I agree with Saffy that Bomber will be watching closely if he gets some form up.

Yea can't see Hill being too great with what he's got now. At the moment he's a crash ball centre but the problem is that he's not particularly big or particularly fast, nothing he can change about those two for the lost part.

He needs to really hone his game and develop skills which he can improve upon, like reading the game or passing. He doesn't really offer anything to the team that other players do. He seems to have been hyped up a he'll of alot, possibly because he's been involved in a few squads and he's on England's radar.

I see Hill as more of a Anthony Allen type of player - solid at everything he needs to do and makes players around him better. I'd imagine that he'll probably get treated by England in the same way and be kept on the fringes for years.

I think some people may have overestimated Glous, TBH.

Afoa is really struggling here ATM. Maybe Palmer would help sure it up.

Can't see Hill as an England 12. I don't see him developing a strong enough crash game to compensate for not being a second distributor. He wants to move to 13.

I can see Slade as an England 12 but hope he nails down a place at 10. The fact he can do both might get him a WC slot though. Devoto could be the chosen one, he potentially has everything and I agree with Saffy that Bomber will be watching closely if he gets some form up.

I think they will both end up your Olly Barkley type player, shifting between 10 and 12 and never quite nailing either... :(

The Saints v Glos game has been disapointing really, Glos haven't been in the game at all.

I think they will both end up your Olly Barkley type player, shifting between 10 and 12 and never quite nailing either... :(
I don't agree, Bath have a very young 10 in Ford who they will want too keep there and Devoto will move too 12. I only say that because you dont get alot of 6'4 fly halfs. Gavin Henson is a great guy too learn under aswell, though he had the same problem as Barkley being a utility guy.

The Saints v Glos game has been disapointing really, Glos haven't been in the game at all.

I would suggest we have the Champions of last year playing a team that have not really played together in a serious competitive game? Glaws have how many new faces in their line up tonight plus new management?

This all takes time to bed down and to write them off after 40 minutes is perhaps a tad early....I am not saying that they will necessarily get better but they need a couple of weeks...................

North hat trick though! :D

Hartley continues to be a massive prick though. Should've at least had a yellow, borderline red, for that off the ball, high shoulder charge on Hibbard.

Last edited by a moderator:
North hat trick though! :D

Hartley continues to be a massive prick though. Should've at least had a yellow, borderline red, for that off the ball, high shoulder charge on Hibbard.

Wrong thread?

Not now...who did that then!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest we have the Champions of last year playing a team that have not really played together in a serious competitive game? Glaws have how many new faces in their line up tonight plus new management?

This all takes time to bed down and to write them off after 40 minutes is perhaps a tad early....I am not saying that they will necessarily get better but they need a couple of weeks...................
No but i expect players like Hibbard, Afoa, Laidlaw, Morgan, Hook, Twelvetrees, May too not just turn over and die, they have had no passion to win this game which if i was a Glos fan i would be worried about. Alot of teams get hammered by Northampton but they dont all have their tail between the legs hoping the game finishes quick.

No but i expect players like Hibbard, Afoa, Laidlaw, Morgan, Hook, Twelvetrees, May too not just turn over and die, they have had no passion to win this game which if i was a Glos fan i would be worried about. Alot of teams get hammered by Northampton but they dont all have their tail between the legs hoping the game finishes quick.

I wouldn't worry about it, Fisher will give them a roasting on Monday and they'll understand what it is expected to play for him.

TEAM STATS
Saints/Glos
Tries 8/0
Metres 456/202
Carries 108/84
Defenders Beaten 12/6
Clean Breaks 9/0
Passes 107/103
Offloads 20/12
Turnovers 17/14
Tackles 98/81
Missed 6/12
Turnovers Won 10/6
Rucks Won 94.3% /94.5%
Mauls Won 8/2
Lineouts Won 13/5
Lineouts Lost 2/3
Lineouts Won 86.7% /62.5%
Scrums Won 3/5
Scrums Lost 2/3
Penalties Conceded 9/9
Yellow Cards 0/1

Saints
Callum Clark made 12 tackles missing none and getting a turnover
Tom Wood made 11 tackles but missed 2, but got 2 turnovers for his efforts
Burrell scored 2 tries, made 97 meters from 11 carries, 1 clean breaks and 1 defenders beaten
North scored 3 tries, beat 2 defenders and made 2 clean breaks
Glos
Rob Cook made the most meters with 39
Trinder made 35 meters, made 11 tackles and missed 1, while getting 1 turnover
Savage made 10 tackles missing none
Sharples made 1 tackle and missed 3

Gave me quite the giggling attack when I got to work and saw that.

Latest posts