• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership - Round 1

"Tackles 98/81"

Thought this was an incredible stat for a game where the larger number of tackles were made by a team that decimated the other!!!

Can these stats really be correct......where are they from....................shurely shome mistakes!!!

17 more completions than attempts? That's some mighty fine tackling...

How bad was the late hit on North? I've only read the report in the paper whis morning, and missed the highlights. Was it a 'cheap shot' or just badly timed?

Last edited:
North was standing on the wrong side of the ruck and thought that holding his hands up was all he had to do.

Was fine IMO.

Moral of the story - don't stand in front of a ruck if you don't want to get cleaned the **** out.

I'm still in shock. Saw the result on the TV behind the bar last night and literally stood there stunned...

Mate who is a Glos fan asked me if I know what the score was later on and I had to lie to him so as not to ruin his night.

Those stats are pretty out there. It looks like Glos were just terrible in all aspects of the game and got rightly mullered.

North was standing on the wrong side of the ruck and thought that holding his hands up was all he had to do.

Was fine IMO.

Moral of the story - don't stand in front of a ruck if you don't want to get cleaned the **** out.

Wasn't illegal but was it necessary for Savage to him him with that ferocity? North had his hands up and was getting back onside whilst not interfering with the ruck that was going on so wasn't really a factor in that moment

Can't remember the score at that time but suspect frustration on Savage's part also came into it

It was necessary IMO - otherwise North will never have an incentive not to do it.

If you're trying to get back onside you don't put your hands up in the air - you just run back onside.
If you know you're going to be smashed in that position, you either don't get into it, or you get out of it as soon as ****ing possible.
The same with lying/putting your hands on the ball - if you know you're going to get a stud rake then you don't do it.

Seen them carded and probably warranted one. Regardless, it was dangerous end of.

Shouldn't have been there - he knew what he was doing.

If you allow **** like that to propagate then you end up with very dull, slow, cynical rugby.

Last edited:
"Tackles 98/81"

Thought this was an incredible stat for a game where the larger number of tackles were made by a team that decimated the other!!!

Can these stats really be correct......where are they from....................shurely shome mistakes!!!
They are on the aviva premiership website.

Then next time he won't do it.

So just to make sure you are condoning an act that can be seen as an act of foul play. Doesn't matter if he does or doesn't do it again, something like that can lead to serious injury. Gareth Jones injury and subsequent death sparks to mind. He was stuck on the wrong side of the ruck, trapped and got hit defenceless. That hit led to his death, so it's not a matter simple matter of 'won't do it next time' because next time might be serious.

I don't see what happened as particularly dangerous.

He knew what he was doing - he shouldn't have been standing there. H e was deliberately standing in the way of a ruck - what the **** did he expect to happen?

Right the stats I put up yesterday are wrong :huh: I have just checked the stats today and they have changed, so I guess the stats I put up weren't the whole 80 minutes stats, there's the link for Aviva stats page from the game last night for those interested.

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchcentre/live_scores.php

Rob Cook actually made 53 meters :D

I don't see what happened as particularly dangerous.

He knew what he was doing - he shouldn't have been standing there. H e was deliberately standing in the way of a ruck - what the **** did he expect to happen?

No and I don't think you will ever will. Which is fine as it is your opinion, but as I said you are pretty much condoning illegal play. If you play rugby then you would know it is dangerous. I tore my ankle ligaments last year in a similar incident, I had gone through the ruck and hands were up, began retreating and I was blindsided by a hit. Penalty and a handbags ensued.

Have you got proof? You must be some psychic if you do.

Last edited:
S**thappens!

What's interesting is that Northampton still made 104 tackles to Glos 96. I guess they knew that Glos couldn't get through and were happy for them too have the ball at the end.

Didn't see the clearout in question so can't speak to it's legality, but I think you should always hit rucks with as much ferocity as you can, especially as a tight 5 forward.
Even if you're not going to get the clear out or turnover, the hit is going to put a bit of reluctance in the oppositon players head next time he sees you near a ruck.

Like I said, I didn't see Savages hit on North though.

No and I don't think you will ever will. Which is fine as it is your opinion, but as I said you are pretty much condoning illegal play. If you play rugby then you would know it is dangerous. I tore my ankle ligaments last year in a similar incident, I had gone through the ruck and hands were up, began retreating and I was blindsided by a hit. Penalty and a handbags ensued.

Have you got proof? You must be some psychic if you do.

You got an injury in a rugby tackle - that must be the first time that's ever happened.... I wish I knew what being injured in a rugby match was like...
If only Savage played rugby, then he might share your opinion too.

Look - it's simple IMO... if you are not running out of the way of the ruck then you are deliberately and cynically slowing the opposition's possession. And you are deliberately putting yourself in a position where you force someone to either not hit a ruck, or hit you.
Roll out the way then stand up. Putting your hands up is only relevant if you're offside in open play and showing the ref that you are retreating - doing it in the way of someone trying to hit a ruck does nothing.

Latest posts