• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership - Round 20

Why the **** aren't ruck stats published?

So ****ing stupid.
Agreed.
I mean 43 is a high number, but for the layman how does that compare to other games? Obviously very admirably if it's got players from other clubs (Wallace) saying it's a good stat - but does your average flanker hit 40? 30?
Would be interesting to see how it compares to other games. Seymour is a beast, though.

Seymour in an England shirt would be wonderful.
I've gone from 6 to 12.

You might find this interesting: http://dementedmole.com/2013/10/30/ruck-marks/

Notice that jones says "attacking rucks" suggesting that he hit a load more in defense too - if that's the case then that number is pretty insane.
At least compared with the numbers people were hitting according to the above article.

Last edited:
If clubs generate more stats than say, ESPN, why can't they share them? Obviously they're not going to put anything in the public domain that will hinder them but I'm fairly sure most clubs do pretty thorough opposition research. I suspect Sales oppo next week will watch the game back and count who is hitting which rucks so why not share the info?

Really good read, that. Thanks!

I like the explanation/clarification on Turnovers.
The ESPN stats has both Seymour and Tommy Taylor as having 0 turnovers, however both won several penalties for getting onto the ball which I'd class as turnovers, or at least would on the ESPN stats as they have no "penalties won" stat.

Tommy Taylor is another who has a great game yesterday - only had 15-20mins, but really shone. You can absolutely tell he started his life as an openside, learning from Hendre Fourie and Dave Seymour, he is (in my biased eyes) the best hooker in the prem at the breakdown.
Think he definintely outplayed Cowan-Dickie, who had a similar amount of game time, however it's hard to read anything in to it as Sale were in massive ascendency whereas Exeter were on the back foot constantly. LCD had a big overthrow on the lineout with Seymour picked off for a try, but Exeter didn't even put up a jumper for it - not sure whether it was a communication error or what, but I don't put the blame at LCD's door.
Would love to see Taylor in the England squad eventually though - it'll be a tough battle against Ward, Cowan-Dickie and George though, Ward being in excellent form, George being at the favourable club, and LCD coming from the u20s, all in their favour - however Taylor has been in great form and hasn't once looked out of his depth even in his debut. I know a lot of DoR's/headcoaches speak admirably of him too, especially Gary Gold who named him (and weirdly Thomas) as two of the best young forwards in the Prem.

Last edited:
Definitely got promise - I think if he can continue to improve he might be in with a chance in the future.

Tommy Taylor is another who has a great game yesterday - only had 15-20mins, but really shone. You can absolutely tell he started his life as an openside, learning from Hendre Fourie and Dave Seymour, he is (in my biased eyes) the best hooker in the prem at the breakdown.
I can tell that it's in your biased eyes as in my completely unbiased eyes it's Brits :D

I can tell that it's in your biased eyes as in my completely unbiased eyes it's Brits :D
Nah, Brits is just the best hooker at pretending he's an outside back :p

To be fair I'd say there's not much between Brits, Youngs and Taylor, and there's not a massive gap between them and the likes of Dave Ward et al.
Most people would go with the guy they've watched the most of, which for me is Taylor and you Brits.

They occasionally publish ruck stats from England games. 43 is an absurdly high number. That said - need to see how many rucks his other forwards hit that day as it would seem to suggest Exeter didn't have too much ball...

They occasionally publish ruck stats from England games. 43 is an absurdly high number. That said - need to see how many rucks his other forwards hit that day as it would seem to suggest Exeter didn't have too much ball...

0. Rucks.
In fact we only fielded 8 players.
1 - 6. n/a
7. Seymour
8. n/a
9. Peel, 10. Cipriani, 11. Ingall, 12. Tuitupou, 13. Leota, 14. Brady, 15. Arscott.

In all seriousness though, we had the ball more than now. I wouldn't be surprised if the posession was close to 75:25. Seymour has an unbelievably high workrate as it is, that he hit this many "attacking rucks" is more testament to how much possession we had than how much work he gets through, as he's performed to this level for as long as I can remember.

Edit:
ESPN has posession at 20%:80%, which is insane.
Our ball retention/counter rucking was superb all game, but it shows how not-at-the-park Exeter were.

Latest posts