• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Barbarians!

R

RC

Link

O’Driscoll to captain Baa-Baas against the Springboks

Brian O’Driscoll has accepted an invitation to captain the Barbarians against South Africa in the eagerly anticipated game at Twickenham on Saturday 1 December.
O’Driscoll, long established as captain of Ireland and also at the helm with the British and Irish Lions in 2005, is looking forward to the match.
He said, “Having previously played for the Barbarians against the Springboks in Cardiff seven years ago and also enjoyed their tour to Scotland and England in 2004, it is a great honour for me to be invited to captain the Club in what promises to be another great game against South Africa.
“I have very happy memories of playing for the Baa-Baas against England at Twickenham three years ago and look forward to returning there in December.
“I am looking forward tremendously to preparing for the match with Eddie O’Sullivan as coach and the prospect of many world-class players from several countries as team-mates.â€
The Barbarian Football Club is lining up the cream of world rugby to play in the match. These include Jerry Collins and Sitiveni Sivivatu from New Zealand, Chris Latham, Matt Giteau and Rocky Elsom from Australia, and Juan Martin Hernandez and Mario Ledesmo from Argentina.
Stars from nearer home include England’s Jason Robinson and Andrew Sheridan, French powerhouse Sebastien Chabal and the captain’s fellow Irishman, Paul O’Connell while Martyn Williams and Tom Shanklin from Wales have also been invited.
The match at Twickenham will be the Barbarians sixth fixture with South Africa. The Baa-Baas won 6-0 at Cardiff Arms Park in 1961 and 23-15 at Lansdowne Road, Dublin in 1994.
Tickets are now available from www.Ticketmaster.co.uk, starting at £25.00

Just read out the people that have been invited: -

Brian O'Driscoll
Jerry Collins
Sitiveni Sivivatu
Chris Latham
Matt Giteau
Rocky Elsom
Juan Martin Hernandez
Mario Ledesmo
Jason Robinson
Andrew Sheridan
Sebastien Chabal
Paul O’Connell
Martyn Williams
Tom Shanklin

That's a crazy line up.
I've also heard rumours of Jauzion and Poitrenau from France being possibilities.
It's without a doubt the first time the Barbarians have actually got some of the best in the world representing them for about 30 years!

Anyone else looking forward to this game?

I am looking forward to this and feel this could be another TRF Meetup event :D

Now that sounds like a good idea...and a great day out!
Come on then guys, who's up for that meet up?

Yeah, why not...

Does look like an effing good BaaBaas team, I'd happily pay to see a lot of those guys play together.

It's the first time i've ever seen a baabaa's team that's not filled with has been's and Who's He?s

I think a lot of people would pay to see the guys play together.

God, Chabal is playing, i reckon even O'Ro would pay to fly over and watch this game with us!

It sounds f___ing brilliant! What a team!!! O'Driscoll and Chabal! I'm getting a wee bit lightheaded typing those two names together.

That lineup is bunch of nutcases

in the forward pack.. and the backline

You would think Saffers would get hammered but this team hasnt played with most of each before expect a few like Latham - Giteua etc and the same might happen with the cricket, Australia smashed the Rest of World XI. :D

That lineup is bunch of nutcases

in the forward pack.. and the backline

You would think Saffers would get hammered but this team hasnt played with most of each before expect a few like Latham - Giteua etc and the same might happen with the cricket, Australia smashed the Rest of World XI. :D [/b]
That's because Australia were better than most of the World XI anyway :p

Imagine getting hit by Chabal and Collins at the same time :( [/b]
I can just imagine this happening as wee Peter Stringer sits in awe, mouth agape, hand outstretched pointing. He's a cute kid. He's the pride of his kindergarden!

That is a awsome team lead BOD. I am certainly looking forward to that game, I think its going to be a tight game! :wall:

Maybe throw Carter in at 10, McCaw at 7, Peel at 9, Ibanez at 2, Vickerman at 5 and you'd have a team you could easily argue as being the world's best from 1 -> 15.

Damn the NH and its ability to attract ridiculous games like this!!

This games nearly put my jealousy level up to the 'Paul Walker in Into The Blue' heights.

You'd be expected to pay Alba level money for this game also...

Latest posts