Baseball

H

Hazey

Hey all,

It has been a week of major milestones in Major League Baseball:

Sammy Sosa hit his 600th Home Run.

Craig Biggio reached 3000 hits.

Frank Thomas reached 500 Home Runs.

Roger "The Rocket" Clemence is going for his 350th Career Win.

Jason Verlander threw his first ever no-hitter.

So, just wondering if anyone else around here watches or supports a MLB team?

I've been watching late-night/eary-morning on Five in the UK for about a year and a half, as well as checking match-ups, scores and predictions every day on MLB.com, and support the Boston Red Sox. Favourite Player: Obviously David "Big Papi" Ortiz, great slugger and seems to be a really great personality as well.

Thanks,

Hazey

Bobby Cox tied the Ejection Record as well.[/b]

Good spot there Ripper, I forgot that one, there were so many to remember! Are you a Braves fan then?

i support the cleveland indians

and i get louge box tickets a few times a year, this year i think i have tickets for the yanks, bosox, reds, a's, orioles, blue jays, angels and some more teams, all for free.

i also play, ive played since i was 6 and still play today. i would have played in high school too but the coaches son plays second base, which is what i play. its not to hard to read the writing on the wall that you'll never get to start because of that.

What is all this fuss about Steroids? [/b]

Every Man and his Dog was jucied up in the 90's until the MLB got its act together and started stamping it out.

No Reported Cases of R-R-R-ROID RAGE!!1! among former Baseball Players though.

Did somebody just say...

Roid_rage.gif

Woah... it's like watching an episode of "Battling Seizure Roid Rage Robots"

Battling_seizure_Robots.jpg

Hey all,

It has been a week of major milestones in Major League Baseball:

Sammy Sosa hit his 600th Home Run.

Craig Biggio reached 3000 hits.

Frank Thomas reached 500 Home Runs.

Roger "The Rocket" Clemence is going for his 350th Career Win.

Jason Verlander threw his first ever no-hitter.

So, just wondering if anyone else around here watches or supports a MLB team?

I've been watching late-night/eary-morning on Five in the UK for about a year and a half, as well as checking match-ups, scores and predictions every day on MLB.com, and support the Boston Red Sox. Favourite Player: Obviously David "Big Papi" Ortiz, great slugger and seems to be a really great personality as well.

Thanks,

Hazey [/b]

Hey im living in Boston for a year and have of course been converted into a Red Sox fan along the way! Watch most of their games as every single one is shown live which is pretty cool. My favourate player is Manny but hes having a poor season by his standards, also like Pabelbon and Okajima. So what are your predictions for the rest of the season then? No way are the Yankees coming back now so Sox should make the Playoffs but cant see them in the world series.

Money Ramirez is past his prime

the red sox will make the playoffs, and either make the world series or lose in the ALCS to the indians. I hope.

Money Ramirez is past his prime

the red sox will make the playoffs, and either make the world series or lose in the ALCS to the indians. I hope. [/b]

Manny is only in his mid 30s isnt he? I know hes lazy but how can he be past it when others like Barry Bonds et al go on in to their 40's with continuing success? I think Detroit will go to the world series at the mo

I wouldn't necessarily call ManRam lazy, he's a bit eccentric. Now, George Foster with the NY Mets in the 80s - LAZY.

yeah but watching him in the out field he barely ever attemps a difficult catch instead he just lets it bounce and plays it like that, as opposed to someone like Coco Crisp who flings his body allover the place making catches!

Manny is getting paid to hit, not to play defense, whereas Coco plays center because of his defense. Left Field is a place where teams will stash a good hitter but a ham-handed defensive player.

not neccessarily coco used to play left field with the tribe before they idiotically traded him to the sox for f***in ANDY MARTE! God Damn It!

not neccessarily coco used to play left field with the tribe before they idiotically traded him to the sox for f***in ANDY MARTE! God Damn It!
[/b]

Grady is better defensively, and miles ahead of coco at the plate.

Anywhere online i can watch a good highlights show of baseball?
I'm presuming nowhere would show full games, but i'd like to see what the sport is actually like.

I've never seen a game of baseball in my life and am curious about what all the fuss is.

Anywhere online i can watch a good highlights show of baseball?
I'm presuming nowhere would show full games, but i'd like to see what the sport is actually like.

I've never seen a game of baseball in my life and am curious about what all the fuss is.
[/b]

As you were helpfully told above, mlb.com is the home of Major League Baseball, good site with lots of highlights. If you went the best clips from through out the season, from the mlb.com homepage, pick one team's website through the drop down menu in the top left of the page (where it says 'Team Sites' in grey), and when you get onto one of the pages, hover your mouse over 'Multimedia' (just to the right of where you clicked on the 'Team Sites' tab before) and scroll down to the 'Top Plays Archive' - this gives you a list of all of the top plays from the players of that particular team over the past 3 and a half years, up until the present day.

Alternatively, if you can get Channel 5 (in the UK), baseball is shown at 1.00am Sunday night and Wednesday night (so technicaally 1am monday morning and thursday morning respectively, if you see what I mean) and you can watch a whole game.

The best thing to do is to pick a team - just like with any sport, it has to be the one that just feels right, so try and watch a couple of games (obviously they are late night, so you can record them and then watch then whenever you can) and you will see several different teams play. The most important thing is to give it a long enough try - just like any sport, the first game you see may not be the best game in the world, or it may be the best game of baseball in 50 years! Baseball, a bit like cricket and golf, also takes a bit of knowledge and appreciation of the skills and aims of the game to be able to enjoy it as a spectator sport properly - I've been watching for about a year and a half now on Channel 5, and everyday on mlb.com for highlights, news and results, and it took me probably 4 or 5 months to really understand the game properly (being an Englishman, and not brought up with the game), and about a year and a half to fully appreciate it (by that, I mean understand some of the things that at first seem meaningless or trivial, but are actually crucial, and to be able to know how rare and what an accomplishment throwing a no-hitter like Justin Verlander did within the last month is) - though it will take me much longer to learn the history of the game!

Latest posts