• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bathurst 500

W

Wally

Motorsport
Gordon Lomas at Bathurst

0,1658,386691,00.jpg

GREG Murphy threatens to give rival V8 Supercar drivers a history lesson after taking qualifying by the scruff of the neck and heading the charge in the build-up to the Bob Jane T Marts 1000 at Bathurst tomorrow.

In what is becoming a carbon copy of Murphy's 2003 obliteration of the most challenging endurance race in the 13-round V8 Championship Series, he creamed his qualifying opposition yesterday with a 2min08.09sec lap in his Kmart Commodore.
Fellow Holden racer Jason Bright finished second quickest in the PWR Performance Products Commodore in 2:08.12. It was a close shave but Murphy still clutches the balance of power at the 6.2km circuit.

Steve Richards is third in 2:08.13, giving his co-driver, father Jim Richards, a shot at winning his eighth Bathurst. This would put Richards Sr one behind the record number of wins set by Peter Brock.

Murphy, who with partner Rick Kelly is in the box seat to repeat their 2003 Mt Panorama victory after being quickest in all the lead-up sessions, remains cautious about whether he can emulate the stunning 2:06.85 lap he produced in the Top 10 shootout a year ago.

"The car doesn't feel as good as it was last year and it is struggling a bit for turn-in grip," Murphy said.

"Doing a 2:08 today and then thinking about whether I can find 1.2sec in the shootout to match last year's time is a pretty big call."

Bright, who has been the most consistent qualifier this season, is shaping as one of the strongest threats to unseat Murphy in the Commodore he will share with the Gold Coast's Paul Weel.

But Bright, one of five drivers in with a shot at winning the championship with three rounds remaining after the Bathurst classic, is hamstrung by the fact that the most treacherous race on the calendar is not a stand-alone event.

"It's a shame that Bathurst is a part of the championship because you can't attack it as you would if it wasn't included in the series," said Bright, who won at Bathurst in 1998 but is searching for his maiden Australian touring car championship crown.

16 Laps to go
Murphy in front Fords 2-7 C'Mon FORD!!!!

If Ford don't take it out I'm going to cry. There has been a few big spills today.

Originally posted by Wally@Oct 10 2004, 06:09 PM
If Ford don't take it out I'm going to cry. There has been a few big spills today.
Beta start crying Wally coz Murphy will win, 6 years without a win now
<

good win for Murph and Kelly. Rick Kelly has 2 bathurst wins and hes only 21 years old. not a bad start. towards the end of the race the chasing bunch of fords were pathetic. Murph absolutely blitzed them. they couldnt catch a cold in antartica let alone Murph at mount panorama.
<

Originally posted by shiznit@Oct 10 2004, 07:44 PM
good win for Murph and Kelly. Rick Kelly has 2 bathurst wins and hes only 21 years old. not a bad start. towards the end of the race the chasing bunch of fords were pathetic. Murph absolutely blitzed them. they couldnt catch a cold in antartica let alone Murph at mount panorama.
<
Well even though a Holden won where was the next holden 8th, Fords finished 2nd-7th and though they didnt catch Murphy they still had more finishes in the top 10 then Holden
<

Originally posted by All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan+Oct 10 2004, 08:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan @ Oct 10 2004, 08:34 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-shiznit
@Oct 10 2004, 07:44 PM
<
Well even though a Holden won where was the next holden 8th, Fords finished 2nd-7th and though they didnt catch Murphy they still had more finishes in the top 10 then Holden
<
[/b]
very true, but i bet they(ford) would trade all those top 10 finishers for that 1 place atop the podium.
maybe next year guys
<

I've been following Cat for aslong as I can remember and two second placers in a row is just heart breaking.

Jim Richards and Son werent going too badly until they hit the roo... they did preety well to get Pole Postion.

Poor Peter Brock - his final race screwed up by a couple of poms who no doubt are used to driving those Tosser Toca Cars in the UK