• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Benaud to Pull Stumps

Q

QLD

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/18/2495117.htm

r341098_1552386.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Former Australian cricket captain Richie Benaud is to retire from television cricket commentary.

The 78-year-old announced today on Sydney radio that he will finish after his current contract with Channel Nine ends.

Benaud captained the Australian side between 1958 and 1964 and started his television commentary career in 1964.

Benaud told radio 2GB that while he still enjoys the position, next year will be his last on television.

"I love [commentating] and when you get a season like we've just had, well, that's absolutely terrific," the 78-year-old told Macquarie Radio today.

"I'll be doing Australian cricket next year, 2010, but I don't do any television at all anywhere else now and when I finish next year, then I'll be doing other things.

"That'll be no more television commentary."

The illustrious sportsman moved into television commentary after retiring from international cricket in 1964.

Renowned for his beige jackets, the quick-witted Benaud has worked extensively for Channel Nine, retiring from his British media commitments with the BBC and Channel 4 in 2005.[/b]

I knew it had to come sometime but only 1 year left with the great man. As long as Nine don't bring in that clown Brayshaw as his permanent replacement that'll be a small consolation.

Home English series haven't been the same without his, Good morning everyone at the start of play each day. Just the small things you'll miss about him. Marvellous!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 18 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I knew it had to come sometime but only 1 year left with the great man. As long as Nine don't bring in that clown Brayshaw as his permanent replacement that'll be a small consolation.

Home English series haven't been the same without his, Good morning everyone at the start of play each day. Just the small things you'll miss about him. Marvellous![/b]

That clown is now co host of the Australian version of the American show Wipeout, proves he is a clown chasing every dollar he can get despite tarnishing his image.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Feb 18 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 18 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Home English series haven't been the same without his, Good morning everyone at the start of play each day. Just the small things you'll miss about him. Marvellous![/b]

That clown is now co host of the Australian version of the American show Wipeout, proves he is a clown chasing every dollar he can get despite tarnishing his image.
[/b][/quote]

hopefully that'll count against him for 2011 then.

Just need to choose Max... Mike Walker and Darrel Eastlake to take over and he'll unretire in no time.

The man the only decent commentator on channel nine. :bowdown:

Now we will have to put up with Mark Taylor and James Brayshaw et al. :(

Latest posts