• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best athlete?

Internationally I'd say the likes of Indurain, Gebreselassie, Michael Johnson, while at home I'd go for the greatest hurler I've ever seen in my life, D.J. Carey, phenomenal.

ok at his peak Lomu was a 115kg guy who could run the 100 in something like just over 10s. That is a freakish athlete, just a pity he deteriated so bad.

Originally posted by incredible_holc@Jul 20 2004, 03:57 PM
ok at his peak Lomu was a 115kg guy who could run the 100 in something like just over 10s. That is a freakish athlete, just a pity he deteriated so bad.
Interesting to think where longevity plays in all this discussion.

Unfortunately, natural illness as well as cheap shots have ended quite a few promising careers.

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 20 2004, 05:42 AM
Unfournatly its a problem Many Islanders face.

Also happened to Jolei Vidiri
What, Kidney problems?

For pure athletic prowless: Jonah Lomu, he's a tank with rockets strapped on the back.

Pure endurance athlelete: Lance Armstrong, survived cancer killing everyone at tour de france, enoguh said.

The mental athlete award goes to 4 different individuals:

Wayne Gretzky simply because he was the great one.

Dominik Hasek, this guy was not the best goalie throughout his carrer but from the 96-00 seasons he reached a level that no goalie has ever reached before. He could face 40+ shots a night, and still get a shutout.

Muhammed Ali, the master of psyching people out. He had you thinking you were gonna lose before you entered the ring.

And finally, the mutant psycho that is known as Ray Lewis. another master of psyching opponents out. I know most of you won't agree but this man is the epitome of psycho. There is not a player in the league that when there playing the Ravens, Lewis is in the back of there mind. for example, Ray Lewis and Eddie George were doing a video interview. Whenever Lewis spoke, George clamped up and tried to surppress a shudder. Lewis has hit George so many times over the NFL and NCAA careers.

How Did Terrall Suggs go in his Rookie year at the Ravens? He was rated 77 on Madden 2004 which was the equal highest Rookie Rating along with Kyle Boller

Originally posted by Trippy Mushroom@Jul 26 2004, 07:46 PM
And finally, the mutant psycho that is known as Ray Lewis. another master of psyching opponents out. I know most of you won't agree but this man is the epitome of psycho. There is not a player in the league that when there playing the Ravens, Lewis is in the back of there mind. for example, Ray Lewis and Eddie George were doing a video interview. Whenever Lewis spoke, George clamped up and tried to surppress a shudder. Lewis has hit George so many times over the NFL and NCAA careers.
Far out!! Ray Lewis is only 6 ft 1 (though I suppose in a big league this is an ideal height to smash people) yet I didn't know he was that intimidating, especially to Eddie George. What was he like against Bettis or Faulk? He needs to go to another franchise with a stronger offence, there I am sure he may have a chance at a super bowl ***le (the fact that I didn't put super bowl in capitals may show my utter disdain for kiwis who still persist with the stop start nature of the Madden game and who are forever informing me of Madden statistics. On reflection I realise it is a beautiful scuptured game).

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Aug 16 2004, 07:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Aug 16 2004, 07:57 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Trippy Mushroom
@Jul 26 2004, 07:46 PM
Far out!! Ray Lewis is only 6 ft 1 (though I suppose in a big league this is an ideal height to smash people) yet I didn't know he was that intimidating, especially to Eddie George. What was he like against Bettis or Faulk? He needs to go to another franchise with a stronger offence, there I am sure he may have a chance at a super bowl ***le (the fact that I didn't put super bowl in capitals may show my utter disdain for kiwis who still persist with the stop start nature of the Madden game and who are forever informing me of Madden statistics. On reflection I realise it is a beautiful scuptured game). [/b]
I see your Ray Lewis, and I raise you Lawrence Taylor (NY Giants in the 80's.) If anyone can find the clip of Joe Theisman's leg snapping, you'll see what I mean.

Ewwww, and the thing about that is LT was freaking out after he did it, yelling for the medical staff to get out on the field. LT wasn't the same after that.
I believe Bettis once said somewhere the the person who hit him the hardest was Ray Lewis. Lewis just leveled him and broke Bettis' no-fumble streak.
Faulk never talks when I watch the Rams. (Which is rarely)
Lewis already one a Superbowl with perhaps the best defense in NFL history.
This defense had: Peter Boulware, Ray Lewis, Chris McAlister, Michael McCrary, Jamie Sharper, Rod Woodson. Talk about an offense's worst nightmare.

i remember Bettis and the Steelers saying that they dont fear Ray Lewis.
Ray Lewis isnt up there, hes a great athlete but he isnt one of the greatest.
hes won 1 superbowl and with the Madden Curse comming up i suspect a frustrating year is ahead for the Ravens Enforcer.

Jerry Rice is in his 40's isnt he?
and he's still going.

my list of the greatest athletes are (in no paticular order):

Muhamed Ali (boxing)
Felix Savon (boxing)
Carl Lewis (track'n'field)
Micheal Jordan (basketball)
Sir Donald Bradman (cricket)
Ian Thorpe (swimming)
Mark Spitz (swimming)
Babe Ruth (baseball)
Tiger Woods (golf) - Here on his Mental toughness
Steve Waugh (cricket) - Same as above
Lance Armstrong (cycling)

Not to sound like a school master, but the question was for Best Athlete (singular).

It's all good and nice throwing in loads of great athletes, but, who is the best?

I guess this scientific research is for another question like: say we find alien life on Mars and they challenge us to a crazy Martian sport that encompasses all human sports/events, but we can only send one person, living or dead, to compete -- who would it be?

Oh, and crazy Martian science can reanimate the corpse, or even ashes of our dead athlete, provided we choose to send a rotter.

Originally posted by shiznit@Aug 26 2004, 10:01 PM
i just cant really seperate them apart.
there just too good to.
Perhaps a "Super Sports Star Survivor Series" would do it. Yeah I'd watch that rather than a bunch of nobodies.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Aug 26 2004, 11:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Aug 26 2004, 11:02 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-shiznit
@Aug 26 2004, 10:01 PM
i just cant really seperate them apart.
there just too good to.
Perhaps a "Super Sports Star Survivor Series" would do it. Yeah I'd watch that rather than a bunch of nobodies.[/b]
Guys, I'm talking about Martians here, man. And you can only send one of our (humanity) best athletes ever. Who from us, the human race, is going to go up against this:

martian.jpg

Latest posts