• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best national anthem?

E

ecks tartan army

whats the one you like to hear the most before a game? (excluding your own)

TBH, im kinda jealous of Irelands call, i think its a fantastic rousing song before a game. also the italian one aint to shabby either.

Flower of Scotland is great at Murrayfield
It Really get the crowd going and it is one Anthem that almost every player know
(except Dan parks AKA The Aussie Bloke)

Japanese one is brilliant, really rousing.

Others are Ireland's call, Flower of Scotland, Italian Anthem, French Anthem

Defiently Flower of Scotland

I love the South African anthem as well actually

Has to be the French and Italian ones for me, Ireland's Call is a piece of ****.

South Africa for me...

If you've had the privileged to play against South Africa in South Africa and you've faced up against it you know that particular feeling I'm talking about especially when the Zulu Choir sing it, Sends shivers down your spine and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand to attention

Sort of the same feeling you get when some ones using heat rub, deep heat or lineament the woof of it in the air even today when i smell that stuff pumping out of the mens changing rooms before a game still gives me butterfly's, the memory's come flooding back to the brian :D...

France/Canada/America

But France first i think.
Just a really upbeat enjoyable one.
I always hum along to it. Just like i did today at the Millennium Stadium.

nkosi silelel i`afrika and god of nations are my favourites but i guess i get to hear them a lot more than any other nations anthems.

also both countries reflect their history and culture through their anthems

I am a fan of the French one, its got a bouncy-ness to it.

Although I am disappointed no one has mentioned the Welsh one yet lol

probably cause in recent years you've had Katherine Jenkins leading it and it sounds shite compared to when it's just the crowd singing it.

I am a fan of the French one, its got a bouncy-ness to it
[/b]

Nice and Bouncy, but these are the lyrics of some of it:

Let's go children of the fatherland,
The day of glory has arrived!
Against us tyranny's
Bloody flag is raised! (repeat)
In the countryside, do you hear
The roaring of these fierce soldiers?
They come right to our arms
To slit the throats of our sons, our friends!

Grab your weapons, citizens!
Form your batallions!
Let us march! Let us march!
May impure blood
Water our fields!

:unsure: Nice and cheery :p

i hate the french anthem because the brisbane lions AFL team use it as their theme song with different lyrics and i hate the brisbane lions

the old soviet anthem gymn sovetsko soyuza or whatever it's called is a good one

Marseillaise every time - true soldiers' song, and they've been blasting it out for 200+ years, since Napoleon's time. Can't wait for it in the opening match against Argentina. There will be tears. :wah:

Then Flower of Scotland and Bread of Heaven - not strictly what we're talking about, but streets ahead of the dirge that passes for an anthem in Britain. And England's Swing Low has that really great lyric: "Hurry with the curry back home" - fat ******** know which side their nan bread is margarined.

Fields of Athenry is irrelevant but good, especially when sung by Red Hand Ulster supporters. Ireland's Call is just Alickadoo "oim a banker" rubbish with a cheesy change in tone. Ugh - but at least the dumber players in the squad can join in.

The Scots, in a full a passionate Murrayfield (a rare occasion these days) would be my fav, closely followed by the Welsh when they let the crowd sing it.

probably cause in recent years you've had Katherine Jenkins leading it and it sounds shite compared to when it's just the crowd singing it. [/b]

Katherine's the reason i go to see Wales play in the Stadium.

Flower of Scotland

Bread of Heaven

Italian

French

Easily the best 4 of the Rugby playing nations.

The Marseillaise is definately my favourite. I truly envy the French that anthem - few countries have anything so significant. Keep your hakas and whatever else, this is a true song of war.

The Scottish anthem sounds amazing when played by a full pipe band, but is crap when played at away matches.

My top four:

1. French national anthem (officially the most political national anthem in the world about twenty billion times more catchy and much louder than any droning mess that the anglo saxon nations can come up with)

2. Italian national anthem (When you see a bunch of Italian backpackers almost break your ear drums with a stunning rendition of this anthem, also with the majestic way it just changes into a totally different song half way through, has to put this near or at the top.)

3. Bread of Heaven (Goosebumps. Nuff said.)

4. Irelands call (So what if its relatively new and is only there because the Unionists wanted an anthem in English, its an awesome anthem so get on with it!)