• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best World Cup winning side ever?

F

frontfive

What's the best World Cup winning side ever...well here's my attempt at ranking the five winners:

1) 1987 All Blacks: Went on to remain undefeated for three years after winning the inaugural cup
2) 2003 England: Defeated all 3 Southern Hemisphere giants in 2003 on their way to the cup.
3) 1999: Australia: The best defensive winner, conceeding only one try during the tournament
4) 1995: South Africa: Defeated a rampant All Black side which included Jonah Lomu.
5) 1991: Australia: Beat Ireland in Dublin, the All Blacks and England at Twickers to win the cup

Has to be Aus 99 - boring, but hardly broke a sweat.

ABs 87 were ahead of their time, but didn't have to deal with SA.

England 03 were possibly the best side ever, but peaked before the world cup.

1. Aus 99
2. All Blacks 87

These two stand out, mainly cos they dominated the tournament.

[/b]

Pretty much agree there. England in 03 would have to be.... Back, Johnson, Dallaglio, Wilkinson, Robinson, Hill all at their peak. Their forward pack was unstoppable.
Australia 1999 lead by John Eales with the likes of Tim Horan and Larkham were probably the most professional and well organised team I have seen.
SA in 1995 I wouldn't rave about, remember they played a food poisoned All Blacks team in the final ;)

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Pretty much agree there. England in 03 would have to be.... Back, Johnson, Dallaglio, Wilkinson, Robinson, Hill all at their peak. Their forward pack was unstoppable.
Australia 1999 lead by John Eales with the likes of Tim Horan and Larkham were probably the most professional and well organised team I have seen.
SA in 1995 I wouldn't rave about, remember they played a food poisoned All Blacks team in the final ;) [/b][/quote] england 03 barely beat austrailia who were hardly up there as best of alltime. they're the alltime best at negative play.

What's the best World Cup winning side ever...well here's my attempt at ranking the five winners:

1) 1987 All Blacks: Went on to remain undefeated for three years after winning the inaugural cup
2) 2003 England: Defeated all 3 Southern Hemisphere giants in 2003 on their way to the cup.
3) 1999: Australia: The best defensive winner, conceeding only one try during the tournament
4) 1995: South Africa: Defeated a rampant All Black side which included Jonah Lomu.
5) 1991: Australia: Beat Ireland in Dublin, the All Blacks and England at Twickers to win the cup
[/b]
eng only won against nz after having two players yellow carded and killing the game.

Definitely England. That final between them and the Wallabies was a hard fought and pulsating match...I mean any game that has 'extra-time' simply explains that. And defeating the 'Big 3' in that same year was impressive. They deserved to win the World Cup.

eng only won against nz after having two players yellow carded and killing the game. [/b]

Surely the phrase you were looking for was 'despite having two players yellow carded'?

I still enjoy listening to the small pocket of Kiwis who can't bare to admit that the English side between 2002-2003 was actually damn good.

eng only won against nz after having two players yellow carded and killing the game and with New Zealand awarded an incorrect try. Unbeleivable

You couldn't even push over a 6 man scrum, you didn't deserve to win.

Englands 2003 team was crap and ruined rugby. Hated the kicking game on Jonny. I think Wales got 3 tries to Englands 1 in the QF and still won easily because of the boot of Johnny.

Australia's 99 win was quite outstanding, cant really say about 87 or 91 because it was before the proffesional era and there was no south africa. Though SA's 95 win was impressive but wasn't the best, but the fact from coming back into professional sport to winning the rugby wc is a great achievement.

Definately the '99 Wallabies for me. As has been already stated, they only conceded 1 try, which was in the pool stages of the tournament, and also went on to win all the major trophies they were contesting in the 2 years following, the most memorable of which was the series win against the Lions (which were dubbed the best Lions ever). Also they were the only team to make 2 world cup finals in a row. England '03 were brilliant, but their sharp decline in the aftermath always took a lot of the gloss off their achievement IMO...

England 03 were possibly the best side ever, but peaked before the world cup. [/b]

Statistically speaking the current All Blacks side is the best side ever... England just seemed more incredible at the time because they came down here and won, but they never had a win down here that was as impressive as NZ's demolition of France in '04.

Statistically speaking the current All Blacks side is the best side ever... England just seemed more incredible at the time because they came down here and won, but they never had a win down here that was as impressive as NZ's demolition of France in '04.
[/b]
Statistics are great. I luv 'em.

But you didn't have to sit through the head-to-head Grand Slam decider of March 2003. A good Irish team - not so far off the quality of our 2007 team - got slaughtered and fcked by the most arrogant bunch of ... slaughter/fckers that England has ever produced.

Ben Cohen scored the last try of the match. He crossed over on an intercept, and then decided to head for the touchline to ground the ball - because his team didn't need a conversion under the posts, and my team needed to know it. Unforgiveable, but that summed it up.

It was the single best international performance I've seen. Pity they couldn't repeat it in Aus six months later.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Whatever about statistics - you didn't have to sit through the head-to-head Grand Slam decider of March 2003. A good Irish team - not so far off the quality of our 2007 team - got slaughtered and fcked by the most arrogant bunch of ... slaughter/fckers that England has ever produced.

Ben Cohen scored the last try of the match. On crossing over after an intercept he decided to head for the touchline to ground the ball - because his team didn't need a conversion under the posts, and my team needed to know it. Unforgiveable, but that summed it up.

It was the single best international performance I've seen. Pity they couldn't repeat it in Aus six months later, because then you might understand how ruthless NH rugby is. [/b][/quote]

I saw that match, but it's not in the same class as the France match as far as I'm concerned... It was the begining of the re-emergence of NZ after the coaching change over and France were billed as the best team in the world and likely to take out New Zealand to cement a standing as the new team to beat. New Zealand came out with such energy and precision and totally outclassed France in every aspect of play. It's not often a 1 v 2 clash is so comprehensively one-sided...

England v Ireland was a comprehensive performance, but lets be honest, it was never considered a game that would decide who the no.1 team in the world was. If England had come to NZ and put on that kind of a performance against the ABs it would have been a different story... but that's never happened.

Well there's a supprise; The English sway 2003 England, the Kiwis say '87 ABs and the Oussies say the '99 Wallabies.

I am in shock.

captain-obvious.jpg

Well us Aussies could have also said '91 :p . Seriously though, you don't just have to state the obvious... of course there's going to be bias involved, but it doesn't mean there's no merit in having the discussion.

Seriously though, you don't just have to state the obvious... of course there's going to be bias involved, but it doesn't mean there's no merit in having the discussion.[/b]

Couldn't agree more.

Wales 2007 obviously........ <_<

Oops! Have I disrupted the time-space continuum? :huh:

Latest posts