• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best & Worst Atmosphere You've Experienced at a Rugby Match

Does the Wellington Sevens qualify? Because that would be best atmosphere by miles over anything I can think about.

Otherwise Ireland vs USA at the RWC - New Zealand isn't really renowned for having great atmospheres, but just in general the whole vibe around New Plymouth that night was incredible.

Special mention to the Amber Army in Taranaki trying to bring chanting to the country, the Ranfurly Shield defence against Hawke's Bay in 2011 had something about it.

Also Argentina vs All Blacks 2012 in Wellington. It was completely dead on the NZ side, but the Argentinean section was amazing throughout the whole game. They sung the full 80 minutes... 'como no te voy a querer, como no te voy a querer, querer, querer'. It would have been completely electric if NZ's reply hadn't been to play some cheap spin off of Tutira Mai Nga Iwi for fans to shout on demand to. :rolleyes:

Worst: All Blacks vs Samoa in New Plymouth in 2008 was absolutely dead, probably because the score blew out so early.

Also, any match where cowbells are present makes me want to shoot myself in the foot.

H-Cup 2010. 0 degrees C with snow flakes the size of golf balls coming into the stands sideways. The game was bad, and the stands were half empty. Those who were there were just trying to stay warm.
I still had fun, as it was my first and only pro game.

You just reminded me, I was unfortunate enough to be at Saracens - Leicester earlier this year, horrible game, dead duck atmosphere with Sarries doing the razzamatazz... that's definitely my actual worst atmosphere - I'd been looking forwards to a club in Barnet, **** that, I'm not going to see them again. Gods. Saracens. If ever a club made themselves dislikable.

Best - England vs Australia 2010 at Twickenham : was awesome to watch Ashton run almost the entire pitch to get try of the year, the crowd went nuts.

Never really had a bad experience at a game before, guess the atmosphere was a bit depressing after Eng v Wales 2012 6 nations, especially after it was so close until the last 10 when Lawes got ripped and the way Brown and Strettle fluffed up that last try. Though the atmosphere was great during the game.

Last match I attempted was England - Samoa good crowd. Due to work I was not able to go to any other big match.
In Belgium most games are always in a good atmosphere with some pints during or after the game ( depending if I'm playing or not)

Best: Leicester vs Munster in the 2003 H-Cup Quarter Final
Worst: Saracens vs Leicester at Wembley in the Premiership, 2012

Latest posts