• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best young players

@buck_mitchell

Academy Player
I'm thinking about writing a blog about the best XV young players in the Aviva Premiership, prefereably 24 and under (25 at a push). As you can imagine there are plenty of backs, but not as many forwards, so I thought I'd garner a bit of opinion, anyone seen any stand out youngsters playing this season ? Any positions, particularly for Sale, Irish or even Newcastle cos I've not seen them play this season. Thanx in advance :cool:

Something like:

1. Joe Marler
2. Joe Gray
3. Henry Thomas
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Ed Slater
6. Carl Fearns
7. Matt Kvesic
8. Billy Vunipola
9. Ben Spencer
10. George Ford
11. Charlie Sharples
12. Elliot Daly
13. Jonathan Joseph
14. Christian Wade
15. Rob Miller

Probably better options in a number of positions but that's a pretty young, pretty decent side.

I think you'd probably put Corbs in the front row there, along with Lawes in the second row, Youngs at scrum-half... and anyone but Elliot Daly at 12, because he's not a 12! Probably Twelvetrees I'd have thought. Would also take May over Sharples, particularly as Sharples rarely plays on that wing last I noticed.

Back-row - reshuffle Fearns to 8, Gibson to 6, Vunipola not quite there yet. Not in this company.

edit: Go with 25 and younger and you also have Ashton, Cole and Care available.

My main train of thought was U20s/relatively in-experienced players.
You could pretty much make an EPS side out of u24 players these days.

My main train of thought was U20s/relatively in-experienced players.
You could pretty much make an EPS side out of u24 players these days.

I kinda guessed, but I thought I should point out to the OP the other guys as he only ever said U25 U26.

Personally, I'd make this U22 or 23 at the most. The players are still there.

There is a chance I'm gonna have too many to choose 1 team out of it ! lol I'd forgotten about Spencer (which is bad cos I wanted him in the England squad ! lol). Didn't realise Slater was just 23 tho. How much has Billy played ? I put Mako in, but that was just cos I've seen him on TV this season. Had Miller & Tom Brady too (I love that name, star QB & winger too lol), then there's Henry Trinder & Jonny May too + Freddie Burns.

Has any1 seen Kane Palma Newport play for Bath or Heatchote (I've heard he's had a few stormers, but not seen him) ?

Also don't forget Manu's only 20, youngest I've got so far is Anthony Watson form Irish, he's just 18 but like I said before not seen Irish this season (but he looked sensational for the U20's). As I said lots of players, just a bit sketchy in the front 5. I'll have to research app's & see if there's a reasonable 22 in terms of games played.

Hmm this is difficult but il try

1.marler (Mullans a close second)
2.grey
3.mako vunipola
4.?
5.joe launchbury
7.kvesic
8.billy vunipola
9.?
10.Farrel/Burns/
11.the young Worcester winger (can't remember his name)
12.Daly (I know he is a 13)
13.Joseph
14. Wade
15.May

I can't understand Corbisiero he had a great 6 nations but still doesn't look great for London Irish
Marker on the otherhand continues to improve especially in the scrum (thanks graham rowntree)

Last edited:
The Wuss winger you're thinking of is Benjamin.

Twelvetrees/Farrell/Mills/Addison should all be ahead of Daly at 12.

The Corbs thing - LI aren't all that is the real answer, and there's only so much he can do about it. That, and Rowntree seems to perform miracles.

I do love Kvesic, there's a couple of contenders at 7 though, I love Luke Wallace @ Quins too (although he's not played of late) & I've heard Jamie Gibson from Irish is very Pocock- esque too, they've got Alex Gray too & Sam Jones at Wasps looks a very useful prospect, but they've both changed to 8 this season.

The other 2nd row could be Matthew Garvey from Irish, but I've not seen him, just read he's a talent + plus he's a Thurrock lad, go on the Essex boys ! :D

Is Alex Gray the guy who captained the U20s a year or two ago? I thought he'd always been an 8? He played there for the u20s at least.

James Fitzpatrick(Newcastle Falcons) has to there or there abouts as one one of the brightest stars in our dismal season, he will paramount to our promotion(if we do go down) next season as a big inside centre one for the future and a local lad i used to watch him play for Blaydon RFC who play in National League 1

Alex Waller will end up being better than Joe Marler. He is only a stupid haircut and a giant Tongan away from really breaking through.

I no hes a worcester player but he is very good, why not try Jake abbott at 7, hes very good over the ball and for a small backrow hes pretty strong, hes a bit like Sam Warburton

i think there is a load of young talent in the prem at the moment:

1. Marler(quins) (a clear choice above others)
2. Gray(quins)
3. Mako Vunipola(saracens)
4. Launchbury(wasps)
5. Lawes?
6. Gibson (irish)
7. Kvesic(worcester)
8. Gray (Irish)
9. Spencer/ Robson
10. Ford
11. Wade
12. Ryan Mills (Glocester)
13. Daly (Wasps)
14. Sharples/ Yarde
15. Jonny May (glocester)

Marler is a clear choice above others?!
Considering Corbisiero is only 23 that's a very audacious shout....

Vunipola the best young tighthead as well? I'd take Thomas, Harden and Sinckler over him.

Marler is a clear choice above others?!
Considering Corbisiero is only 23 that's a very audacious shout....

Vunipola the best young tighthead as well? I'd take Thomas, Harden and Sinckler over him.

And any other number of players, on account of Vunipola being a loosie. Although as Harden's 27 and Sinckler has about 40 minutes of senior gametime, maybe not for the purposes of this conversation!

Latest posts