Big Bash League

RoosTah

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Sydney
Has anyone been watching this? I know it's mostly only appealing to Australians, but it's only existed for a couple years and it's already gaining massive popularity and taking an axe to the much mooted soccer competition here, the A-League.

The games have been super entertaining and a lot of fun all round. I've watched a bunch and have been loving it.

Just for reference, here are the last 6 crowd figures for both:

Last 6 BBL crowds:

Strikers d Hurricanes 43,288 Adelaide Oval
Renegades d Thunder 22,018 Etihad Stadium
Scorchers d Sixers 24,447 Sydney Cricket Ground
Heat d Stars 26,730 Gabba
Sixers d Thunder 32,823 ANZ Stadium
Scorchers d Renegade 18,207 WACA Ground

Last 6 A League crowds:

Wellington d Adelaide 10,060 Coopers Stadium
Brisbane dr Sydney 15,765 Suncorp
Melbourne City d Newcastle 9,935 Hunter Stadium
Wellington d Western Sydney 8,606 Westpac Stadium (NZ)
Melbourne Victory d New. 20,801 AAMI Park
Central Coast dr Brisbane. 9,932 Central Coast Stadium

Pretty impressive given these teams have existed for a couple seasons and that soccer fans in this country have been harping on about how they're gonna take over the country (was never gonna happen). Just goes to show what happens when a traditional Australian sport like cricket gets its act together and goes head to head with a new comer like soccer here with a similar club format.

Great stuff really.

Anyone here watching it?

Enjoyed it, some of the commentating leaves much to be desired but the action has been good for a good few seasons now.

Enjoyed it, some of the commentating leaves much to be desired but the action has been good for a good few seasons now.
Are you from the states or just live there? Would be interesting if an American's first exposure to cricket was the BBL...

Are you from the states or just live there? Would be interesting if an American's first exposure to cricket was the BBL...

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly not. I'm not actually from the States ;)

Hahaha why sadly?

Anyway, yeah the action has been brilliant. My team is technically the 6ers, so I won't be hurrying to buy their bright pick jerseys lol, but have enjoyed going to their games.

The Big Bash League frustrates me. I get annoyed by the "show" aspect. I think talking to players who are currently playing crosses a line. That is something we don't need in the game and adds nothing to my viewer experience. Comparing the BBL to the A-League is only so relevant because each team in the BBL plays only 4 home games and in the A-League they play 13.

I find the competition somewhat enjoyable. I think that T20 is best as a domestic only sport.

There's less games for sure, but you can already tell its got the soccer zealots worried looking around the forums and Twitter.

i actually like the show aspect though - it doesn't take itself too seriously and is just all about the fun of the whole thing, which is a big part of its appeal I reckon.

I like the Renegades myself. awesome stuff though being American i don't know too much about Cricket. fun to watch though

Latest posts