• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blue Bulls | 2013 Currie Cup

Yeah I never got the hype around Jacques. He made some hits here and there but never seemed one to be a big fixture in the team. As has been said, Stander was a bigger loss, but Botha at least is coming through like a champ. Jacques du Plessis is a monster, wonder if he will end up at second row with that height. Jean Cook also made a few appearances in S15 if I remember correctly.

I remember Tony from last years JWC, not a bad little player. Not sure what happened with Elton this year, he and Taute had some bad luck between injuries and form and all.

Jacques Potgieter is not that big of a loss. He was more a flashy loosie rather than a solid reliable one. He's not irreplaceable.

Yeah I never got the hype around Jacques. He made some hits here and there but never seemed one to be a big fixture in the team. As has been said, Stander was a bigger loss, but Botha at least is coming through like a champ. Jacques du Plessis is a monster, wonder if he will end up at second row with that height. Jean Cook also made a few appearances in S15 if I remember correctly.

I remember Tony from last years JWC, not a bad little player. Not sure what happened with Elton this year, he and Taute had some bad luck between injuries and form and all.

Elton's dip in form was due to the death of his father. he died of a bee-sting. My Brother was at the funeral and has found Elton a lot more at the local pub than before. The death of his father, along with a small alcohol problem are the attributes to Elton's dip.

Another guy to look out for is Schalk van Heerden. Wicus van Heerden's brother. He's a lock with some fetcher skills and a very physical specimen. He played for Tuks during the Varsity Cup this year.

Another flanker I'm excited about possibly seeing in the CC is Shaun Adendorff.

Yeah the Bulls have some classy forwards coming up and I am sure most will make their mark. WP have already brought in our 'young' forwards in Kolisi, Etzebeth, Carr, Kitshoff, Malherbe etc with some degree of success. Now with our 'older' backs moving off its time for the likes of Swiel, Schreuder, Howard, Allende and Kolbe to try and stake their claim in the back line.

Another fly-half has left the Bulls... the Tuks Varsity Cup fly half has signed with the Lions.

Now I'm starting to worry... will this mean that Derick Hougaard will stop naai-ing Karen van Jaarsveld and come back out of retirement.???

Thing is the young talent starts realizing they will one day face a pay cut/too much competition as the Bulls fund the then next gen of palyers
Their brilliant recruiting campaign is backfiring and the challenge for the Bulls now is to retain their players

One can see the CC is going to be used for blooding new players, that said I am worried that the Bulle are going to get hidings.
The Vodacom Blue Bulls team to play WP (with number of Currie Cup caps) is: Jürgen Visser (22), Sampie Mastriet (2), Ulrich Beyers (5), Francois Venter (22), Travis Ismaiel*(0), Tony Jantjies*(0), Rudy Paige (4), Jono Ross*(0, c), Jacques du Plessis*(0), Wiaan Liebenberg*(0), Grant Hattingh (8), Paul Willemse (1), Frik Kirsten (25), Willie Wepener (85), Morné Mellet (5). Replacements: Callie Visagie (18), Marcell van der Merwe (25), Wilhelm Steenkamp (85), Jean Cook (3), Ruan Snyman (19), Waylon Murray (71), Clayton Blommetjies (5).