• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blues - John Kirwin - "I'm going to be here for a long time"

steblin

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Blues
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11413807

"There's nothing missing, we just need to get a victory. We're very close, we're doing all the right things, we're just not getting the rub of the green at the moment. We just need to keep working hard, stay tight, and we need to turn the slump around."

Delusional! As a fan I hate statements like this, I could give him more credit if he said "we were ****, but we're working on it" than this, what a load of drivel!

At no point have the Blues looking like they're "doing the right things" this season.

In another article it says that they won't re-evaluate the coaching situation until the mid year review, 4 games away. Wonderful.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11413807

"There's nothing missing, we just need to get a victory. We're very close, we're doing all the right things, we're just not getting the rub of the green at the moment. We just need to keep working hard, stay tight, and we need to turn the slump around."

Delusional! As a fan I hate statements like this, I could give him more credit if he said "we were ****, but we're working on it" than this, what a load of drivel!

At no point have the Blues looking like they're "doing the right things" this season.

In another article it says that they won't re-evaluate the coaching situation until the mid year review, 4 games away. Wonderful.

It's sad really I believe the the problem is deeper, and it's showing on the field. What makes it more unbelievable is that amount of All Blacks in our Squad and will still play like sh**.

It's sad really I believe the the problem is deeper, and it's showing on the field. What makes it more unbelievable is that amount of All Blacks in our Squad and will still play like sh**.

I totally agree that the problem seems to bigger than JK. I'm not saying that JK isn't part of the problem (I don't know, as I'm not close to the team, or even Rugby in the Blues catchment area), but I think if you are going to have a review, you need to have a complete an honest review, that includes recruitment, player development policies, and player retention, as well as team culture and player/team cohesion.

Reviews can be useful, but the findings need to be honestly addresses ... based on past experience, offering up the coach as the fall guy isn't going to fix all of the problems.

My personal opinion is that the issue is with the playing personnel ... all of the other NZ franchises retain and have stability in their playing personnel from year to year, particularly at 9 and 10. Maybe they'll get better if they can get some depth at lock too.

I'd be interested/appreciative if some of you guys that live within the area, could provide some insight as to how the provinces within the area get on as "the Blues" (are there issues with selections, cohesion issues within the team, path ways for developing players)

^^

I agree with that but not as Coach as a director of rugby or top of the heap to reorganise the entire Auckland and Blues rugby system from the top down.

There's only one answer...
Bring Back Graham Henry.

I'd heard that he was done with Blues rugby - like, I said, the issue seems to be deeper than just what the coach is or isn't doing, so just changing the coach isn't going to fix everything.

Look at the top three franchises (currently) in the NZ conference. The Canes, have largely retained the same playing personnel over the last few years, and it's beginning to pay dividends for them. The Chiefs and the Highlanders both recruit the best players from the ITM cup top sides, to supplement their existing core players, and they seem to integrate well into their structures. Even the Crusaders, who are notoriously slow starts, benefit from a squad that doesn't change too much, that they know they can count on, when it comes to the sharp end of the competition.

Wasn't Graham Henry an advisor to Kirwin at one stage? I don't think it made too much difference, if any. Like Shaggy said, it goes much deeper than the coach. Everyone came down on Pat Lam pretty hard too, and while he probably isn't in the same league as a Wayne Smith or a David Rennie, I don't think it was him alone.

The Blues certainly seem to have had a revolving door of players when it has come to key positions. That 9/10 combo is pretty crucial when you think about it. They've gone through Weepu, Matthewson, Cowan and God knows how many others in that position. Likewise first five eight. Hobbs, Noakes, West. They need to stick around together for a decent period of time. I also think some of those men, while good, may not have always been in form or had a cool head. The current New Zealand teams doing well have these positions sorted out. Last time I remember the Blues doing well is when Nick Evans made the switch and he was in great form and getting them around the field well. He got injured, and from memory they turned to crap. They've made the Semis since Nick's stint there, but when he was in form for them early in the season was the last time I thought "wow" and could actually see them as being a credible threat and not a dull, boring shell of a team. I think they need more little generals in that backline; the Polynesian flair is good, but you need more. The X-Factor is there, but it ain't going to come through if you don't have a Conrad Smith, or a Nick Evans, or an Aaron Cruden (when he's on song). It doesn't have to be a white guy, just someone who brings something different than "hey look at me, give me space and I'll blitz you." They've already got that by the bucket loads.

You could probably cherry pick other things and say the forward pack could do better in areas, but the above issue is something I've noticed for awhile. One year we've got that player, the next year we've got this player. No wonder the results aren't consistent.

I think Auckland rugby needs to look introspectively and reinvent themselves, decide what kind of culture they want to have on and off the field. There's something seriously wrong, clearly. There use to be two powerhouses in this country. Auckland and Canterbury. Crusaders, while they have issues at the moment, are still there when the season ends. Auckland have just become gradually worse over the last decade or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts