• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BOD's Replacement?

I think people are in danger of over hyping Eoin O'Malley. Yes he's been good for the last few weeks but at the start of the season, he wasn't playing well at all. I'd like to see him perform strongly for the next two months before annointing him as Brian O'Driscoll's successor in the 6 Nations. Eoin Griffin and Nevin Spence are similarly over hyped. They're talented players but all have incomplete games. I suspect Keith Earls will get the 13 jersey but if I was to power rank the contenders, it's be as such:

1. Fergus McFadden
2. Darren Cave
3. Eoin O'Malley
4. Keith Earls
5. Nevin Spence
6. Luke Fitzgerald
7. Tommy Bowe
8. Eoin Griffin

Out of curiousity, what's missing in Griffin's game? I haven't seen much of him, but when I have seen him he's looked very complete.

To me he seems to drift in and out of games. I'd like to see him take charge of Connacht's backline more before calling him up to the full international squad. He definitely deserves a couple of runs with the As though.

I'm a big fan of Griffin, I think he has the power, athleticism and brain to develop into a classy 13. However I don't think he's ready yet and I would like to see him mature a little more before he is picked. O'Malley has been playing very well however I would only pick him if he can nail down the Leinster 13 jersey and have a run of games there. I would love to see that happen and if he continues to play well I would see no reason for him not to picked for Ireland. Other than that Cave and Mcfadden are the other options IMO and out of these 2 I would probably go with McFadden.

To me he seems to drift in and out of games. I'd like to see him take charge of Connacht's backline more before calling him up to the full international squad. He definitely deserves a couple of runs with the As though.

Fairy muff. Would agree he's still raw and has developing to do.

Honestly I don't think O'Malley and McFadden are up to the standards. Good players (with bright future) but not good enough by now to fill that gap. I guess Earls and Bowe are stilll the best avaliable options.

Last edited:
i haven't been impressed by McFadden
he does reasonably well in a great Leinster back line nothing particularly outstanding in my opinion while cave has produced some quality performances in recent years surrounded by at best an erratic ulster back line

I think people are in danger of over hyping Eoin O'Malley. Yes he's been good for the last few weeks but at the start of the season, he wasn't playing well at all. I'd like to see him perform strongly for the next two months before annointing him as Brian O'Driscoll's successor in the 6 Nations. Eoin Griffin and Nevin Spence are similarly over hyped. They're talented players but all have incomplete games. I suspect Keith Earls will get the 13 jersey but if I was to power rank the contenders, it's be as such:

1. Fergus McFadden
2. Darren Cave
3. Eoin O'Malley
4. Keith Earls
5. Nevin Spence
6. Luke Fitzgerald
7. Tommy Bowe
8. Eoin Griffin

Griffin is not overhyped. He has looked a class act from the first time I saw him play for the Irish U20's. He is big, fast, intelligent and seems to have a good skill level. You also have to remember he is playing with Connacht and thats not easy for any back.

My money would have to be on Cave, he is fairly experienced and is a very strong and brave defender, not the quickest player though, but then again neither is BOD... On a slightly wild note D'Arcy could play 13 with McFadden inside him, in all honesty I'd still prefer to see that than Earls/McFadden at 13. Trimble has (in the distant past) experience at centre for Ireland but may not have the out and out defensive nous required. Also while form is a bit problematic Luke Fitzgerald is probably better suited to 12/13 than he is being given credit for, he is quite a talented footballer and I would prefer to leave Earls/Bowe/Trimble as our main wing options rather than centres...

O'Malley lines up opposite Matt Banahan on the weekend. While he's bloody useless, he is a lump, so I guess it'll test the "O'Malley is too small" arguement.

With Cave and Griffen playing at the weekend I doubt if they will be involved during the 6N.

With Cave and Griffen playing at the weekend I doubt if they will be involved during the 6N.

Of course not, if fit Keith Earls will be the Irish 13 regardless of his form. The same goes for O'Callaghan and ROG in their respective positions. We're talking who'll replace BOD once Kidney's gone.

Of course not, if fit Keith Earls will be the Irish 13 regardless of his form. The same goes for O'Callaghan and ROG in their respective positions. We're talking who'll replace BOD once Kidney's gone.
That's the problem though isn't it, Keith was in excellent form on the wing, his best position IMHO, and I feel Cave should probably get the 13 jersey, while he might not pose an attacking threat at international level he is brave and committed in defence and with the way Ireland play (and D'Arcys international form) that is more important than the attacking threat that Earls could potentially provided at international level.
Although Fitzgerald is solid in defence and given his current form I wouldn't be adverse to him playing 13 for Ireland, but please not McFadden ( maybe at 12) I just don't trust him enough yet, I could rise to the challenge if we were playing shite... just my two cents.

Is it just me that thinks Tommy Bowe is a far more accomplished, defensively solid and dangerous 13 than Keith Earls, who we're assuming will slot in? Earls makes too many errors and always looks slightly unsure about where he's standing when I've seen him play centre before.

If I was asked who between Earls and Bowe I would go for Bowe. The thing is Bowe is one of the best wings in the world so why move him from where he's going so well.

Latest posts