• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BOD's Replacement?

Jockstap

First XV
TRF Legend
So halfway through the pool stages done and dusted and traditionally Ireland have always picked players based on performance in Europe. So that leaves us with a choice of

Eoin O'Malley
Fergus McFadden
Danny Barnes
Darren Cave
Eoin Griffin
Kyle Tonetti

on top of that we have the option to play Bowe, Earls and maybe Fitzgerald. Nobody really stands out in my opinion. I suppose it's a bit of a moot point because Kidney will pick Earls if fit but I'd like to know what the fans think?

Eoin O'Malley is the best performing of the lot at the moment. He is also a very similar player to O'Driscoll and it is quite obvious he has been watching a lot of O'Driscoll. If Kidney was any way wise and wanted to reward young players performing well he'd have a 12-13 partnership of McFadden an O'Malley.

I think O'Malley is the best option. McFadden is more of a 12. O'Malley runs some penetrating lines. Wish he'd been starting today. I'd have a backline of:

9. Murray (although not that convinced by him based on recent performances)
10. Sexton
11. Trimble
12. McFadden
13. O'Malley
14. Bowe
15. Jones/Kearney

O'Malley would be the smallest international centre on the planet if he was picked at 13, I shudder to think of him up against, Roberts/Davies, Tindall/Tualigi, Mermoz/Rougerie etc. Just remember what happened to us against Wales.

O'Malley would be the smallest international centre on the planet if he was picked at 13, I shudder to think of him up against, Roberts/Davies, Tindall/Tualigi, Mermoz/Rougerie etc. Just remember what happened to us against Wales.

Don't be fooled by his size. He's a good defender. He's similar to Sexton in that sense; they're both pretty slight lads. they both look like schools rugby players but you'll rarely see them miss a tackle.

I'd go with O'Malley. On another note McSharry is looking really good with Connacht at inside centre.

Manu Tualigi 110 kg
Aurelian Rougerie 104 kg
Jonathan Davies 103 kg
Joe Ansbro 96 kg
O'Malley 88 kg

I'm not worried by Sexton he's 6'2, 95 kg, and he's a fly half. O'Malley's a 5'10(at a stretch) 88 kg inexperienced lad who's playing at the most dificult position, defensively, on the pitch. If D'Arcy is struggling defensively at international rugby these days, that's a fairly dodgy centre pairing. I'd like to see O'Malley up against top quality opposition a bit more before we see him in the Ireland shirt. Yes he did well against Rougerie in Clermont, but he was last minute replacement and a completely unknown quantity.

He'd do fine as he has done at club level. Defends smartly. The way he where's his socks makes him look very slight is actually of a decent size.

Yeah people hav been saying it for ages but are now sort of resigned to him not being dropped. I'd like to see McFadden and as I mentioned McSharry who should probably get a run with the Wolfhounds first.

He'd do fine as he has done at club level. Defends smartly. The way he where's his socks makes him look very slight is actually of a decent size.

Why, you might not of noticed but international level is a bit higher than club level. One of the main reasons we lost against Wales in the WC was because we couldn't stop their centres from getting over the gain line.

How many teams can? His running lines can also embarras those bigger defenders catching them flat footed. Also how will we know unless we try him? You say we should pick based on European performance and everyone agrees O'Malley's been the best Irish centre in Europe.

cave would be a great option id prefer him over mcfadden
and more proven at hcup level than o'malley

I think O'Malley is the best option. McFadden is more of a 12. O'Malley runs some penetrating lines. Wish he'd been starting today. I'd have a backline of:

9. Murray (although not that convinced by him based on recent performances)
10. Sexton
11. Trimble
12. McFadden
13. O'Malley
14. Bowe
15. Jones/Kearney

I agree with that. Murray was poor enough this weekend and maybe last weekend. But besides that he's been head and shoulders above the rest of the Irish scrumhalves this year.

Yeah i like the look of spence or cave. Murray played **** poor yesterday but he is a good player. Paul Marshall is also very good from what ive seen.

Yeah i like the look of spence or cave. Murray played **** poor yesterday but he is a good player. Paul Marshall is also very good from what ive seen.

spence is purely a 13 hasnt cut it for me at 12 for ulster this year
marshall is good but to me he is like Ian Humphreys capable of fantastic moments of genius but wouldn't put a green shirt within a mile of him due to consistency

He's stronger than he looks and a good brave tackler but as Jockstap points out he'd be one of the smallest centres around in international rugby and that's just a stone cold disadvantage. In fact, I simply can't think of a smaller.

When you pair him with D'Arcy or McFadden who also fall into fairly small for an international centre you put yourself at a disadvantage. I think Ireland have been suffering for a lack of physicality and size in their backs for a long time now, and D'Arcy and BOD are both violent strong men for their size. But its a small size. It creates problems in defence (and if D'Arcy's getting shown up occasionally at international level of size, you really do have to worry about O'Malley) and a lack of options in attack.

Now Darren Cave and Eoin Griffin, to name my two preferred choices, are no giants - but they're no lightweights either and are happily in the Ansbro/Smith range of size in the market. They are also clever, athletic players with good hands and good brains. They are fairly complete players and I cant help but feel that if put in O'Malley's shoes in Leinster, where he receives a better quality of service and chances than either Cave or Griffin receive at their provinces, they'd show at least as well and probably better.

For me, it should be Cave. His defence is fantastic, he's a great finisher in the red zone and creates a lot for others. He's always looking for the offload and also straightens the line well. His only weakness is out and out gas, which is why I think Griffin might overhaul him in the long run (or someone else such as Macken), still quick enough though. Griffin should be getting Wolfhounds team (him and O'Malley, who is a more than decent player and does deserve a chance to prove me wrong at some point).

Nevin Spence really needs a remedial awareness and handling course.

edit: Conal, I feel Spence has had some good moments and some bad for Ulster at 12 - when offered the ball at pace and close to the advantage line he's dangerous and early on it looked like he'd learnt to pass... however, some of iHumph's deep passes would have made anyone look like a prat and his passing seems to have disappeared. Me, I get the feeling he'll end up being Andy Trimble mkII and get a wing berth. If they can develop Spence's skills, he'd offer a great 11 to 14 cover option.

edit edit: On second thoughts, less Ulster players on Player Management and a weaker Irish midfield suits me fine.

Danny Barnes it is!

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Bowe/McFadden pairing with Trimble and Earls on the wing, remember Bowe played 13 in the third Lions test and I believe he's played there a few times with the Ospreys.

He's stronger than he looks and a good brave tackler but as Jockstap points out he'd be one of the smallest centres around in international rugby and that's just a stone cold disadvantage. In fact, I simply can't think of a smaller.

When you pair him with D'Arcy or McFadden who also fall into fairly small for an international centre you put yourself at a disadvantage. I think Ireland have been suffering for a lack of physicality and size in their backs for a long time now, and D'Arcy and BOD are both violent strong men for their size. But its a small size. It creates problems in defence (and if D'Arcy's getting shown up occasionally at international level of size, you really do have to worry about O'Malley) and a lack of options in attack.

Now Darren Cave and Eoin Griffin, to name my two preferred choices, are no giants - but they're no lightweights either and are happily in the Ansbro/Smith range of size in the market. They are also clever, athletic players with good hands and good brains. They are fairly complete players and I cant help but feel that if put in O'Malley's shoes in Leinster, where he receives a better quality of service and chances than either Cave or Griffin receive at their provinces, they'd show at least as well and probably better.

For me, it should be Cave. His defence is fantastic, he's a great finisher in the red zone and creates a lot for others. He's always looking for the offload and also straightens the line well. His only weakness is out and out gas, which is why I think Griffin might overhaul him in the long run (or someone else such as Macken), still quick enough though. Griffin should be getting Wolfhounds team (him and O'Malley, who is a more than decent player and does deserve a chance to prove me wrong at some point).

Nevin Spence really needs a remedial awareness and handling course.

edit: Conal, I feel Spence has had some good moments and some bad for Ulster at 12 - when offered the ball at pace and close to the advantage line he's dangerous and early on it looked like he'd learnt to pass... however, some of iHumph's deep passes would have made anyone look like a prat and his passing seems to have disappeared. Me, I get the feeling he'll end up being Andy Trimble mkII and get a wing berth. If they can develop Spence's skills, he'd offer a great 11 to 14 cover option.

edit edit: On second thoughts, less Ulster players on Player Management and a weaker Irish midfield suits me fine.

Danny Barnes it is!

I agree 100% with that post! Griffin and Cave look the pickof the bunch so far this season.

Griffin and Cave are both solid defensively and both have a bit of class too so they should be considered. Can Cave play 12 too? I think he has for Ulster sometimes and if so he could be an option ahead of D'Arcy. D'Arcy looks well past his best at this stage of his career and should be relegated to the bench.

O'Malley might be too small for international rugby I'd say. One thing they could do is play him as an attacking 13 but switch him to 12 whendefending. At least there would be more protection there.

I agree 100% with that post! Griffin and Cave look the pickof the bunch so far this season.

Griffin and Cave are both solid defensively and both have a bit of class too so they should be considered. Can Cave play 12 too? I think he has for Ulster sometimes and if so he could be an option ahead of D'Arcy. D'Arcy looks well past his best at this stage of his career and should be relegated to the bench.

O'Malley might be too small for international rugby I'd say. One thing they could do is play him as an attacking 13 but switch him to 12 whendefending. At least there would be more protection there.

I have never seen of or heard of Cave playing anywhere other than 13. I don't think his game would be particularly suited to 12 either. He wouldn't have the space to stand people up in or be able to run the lines getting on outside shoulders either.

The 12 conundrum is far harder to solve in my eyes. D'Arcy and Mincer are busted flushes internationally, but worthwhile enough at club level they won't be shifted easily. I don't particularly rate McFadden as a 12, who is the obvious choice insofar as being young, internationally experienced and capable of the position. I'd love to be trumpeting Marshall's virtues right now but he broke his face and ergo hasn't really played.

But I do consider it a more exposed channel in terms of defending - to my mind, its easier for a smaller man to defend 13, than 12 where you know the steam trains are coming.