• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

fitzgerald a long term replacement for BOD?

D

dangandan

Luke Fitzgerald and Brian O'Driscoll will form a new partnership at centre when Ireland play the Barbarians. http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/r...ish/7415184.stm

I was just wondering what people thought about fitzgerald at centre against the barbarians this Tuesday. He's an explosive and quick young man but does he have the handling and passing abilities to make a good midfielder? It would be great if we finally have someone who can push BOD or even be good enough to replace him because I think we've seen the last of BOD's magic.

Let's hear it!

Last of BO'D's magic? You do realise what BO'D actually does yeah? There is a hell of a lot more to centre play then just running through gaps.

I'd worry about Fitzgerald defensively and given the fact that he hasnt played centre in his professional career I think its a bit daft to assume he's the answer to anything.

This is an experiment in a meaningless friendly. Lets see how this goes before getting all excited.

Fitzgerald has quick feet great ball handling skills and when he starts ducking and diving he seems amazingly difficult for defending players to actually catch a hold of. He can kick and makes offloading seem easy. He's still young and makes mistakes, but he is definitely a huge talent and I personally think he is touched by the attacking greatness we see in players like BOD and Shane Williams. The only problem is deciding where his best position is. Centre has become a hugely physical position to play in, so he might be better off on the wing. Although he doesn't have the unnatural speed of Denis Hickie, his attacking flair might be better used there.

Oh and BOD might have lost a yard of pace but his defence is till immense, he was one of the only Irish players
to perform decently at the world cup. It is more difficult for him to perform miracles like he once did because
his reputation demands that all opposition teams must single him out as a threat and put a lot of work into
stopping him. But he still can play head and shoulders above almost any center and a player of his ability will be dangerous until the day he retires. Ireland are still blessed with plenty of talent in their back line. Its props and
a replacement for ROG that we should be worried about. Why wasn't Sexton started against the barbarians?

I didn't see the barbarians game but i heard a few of our upcoming players played well, including Fitzgerald!! He also made a big hit on Larkham? I know that sounds a bit over the top saying his defence is all good now but its great hearing these little things as he'll only get better. Yea i don't know why they persist with Paddy Wallace... he's not exactly young and he doesn't produce the goods of an international fly half. I haven't seen much of Sexton but he seems a little tall and awkward haha but maybe he's just deceiving! I hope Fitzgerald starts more games at centre with BOD inside him :)

Yep, Fitzgeralrd did do quite well. Again the opposition werent really a threat but with ball in hand in space he looked lethal. Answered a few questions regarding his defense, but I'm still not sure.

It could be worth persisting with this though. Nothing to lose in NZ and OZ so why not leave him in there with BOD.

i think the future has bod at 12 and fitzgerald at 13. BOD, although hes lost a bit of pace as brmcgrat said, he still sucks in defenders and can release fitz into space. i also enjoyed luke hit on larkin- hopefully it means he's sured up his defence.
very disappointed fitzgerald is missing these tests, as i was looking forward to see what he could do against world class opposition.
i think sexton has a lot of potential dangan and unlike wallace is young, was supprised wallace went to nz ahead of him tbh.
honourable mention to rob kearney-everytime i see him he gets better and really shone in the first test, in appalling conditions

Latest posts