• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

It’s going to hurt for awhile - Ireland 2024

He definitely must have an academy spot in works and I'd fully expect it to be with us if he does. Alex came through the same programme althought the exiles programme has changed recently I believe.
I don't think Alex was ever in our academy but Will got promoted to full time/senior academy this season so would guess he wouldn't transfer for a season or two at least - let him learn his trade in a good academy before heading to turnip munching land to teach the troglodytes how to play rugby

I don't think Alex was ever in our academy but Will got promoted to full time/senior academy this season so would guess he wouldn't transfer for a season or two at least - let him learn his trade in a good academy before heading to turnip munching land to teach the troglodytes how to play rugby
We truly are brothers this week.

I suppose baby steps first before going up a level 😜

I don't think Alex was ever in our academy
Alex got picked up by Saints but then fairly instantly moved to us I think.

Overall the squad is fine. Pretty conservative. I don't think Irish coaches have been anything but consistent in the view that the 6 Nations is for winning and not necessarily player development. That said I think Ahern is hard done by and they could have just made a bigger squad. Man's a legit candidate for the 23. The main thing is that we put on a good show for the Netflix cameras and we become fan favorites for yanks who blindly stumble into the sport.

I wonder if POM and the slightly more conservative approach from Farrell than usual is a reaction to Johnny going. Something I hadn't really thought of but losing a talismanic captain and then reducing the role of the next biggest leader in the squad would be a huge gamble.

There's very few easy games coming up for us this year and we need to rebuild momentum asap. The more losses this year, the more that QF looms over the squad.

I wonder if POM and the slightly more conservative approach from Farrell than usual is a reaction to Johnny going. Something I hadn't really thought of but losing a talismanic captain and then reducing the role of the next biggest leader in the squad would be a huge gamble.

There's very few easy games coming up for us this year and we need to rebuild momentum asap. The more losses this year, the more that QF looms over the squad.
I think it's the win now approach. PO'M will be a very good transition captain and it he's stepped down from Munster captaincy so will give it his all. I think Farrell is highly motivated to go out and win this Six Nations. So easy to slide into mediocrity for a couple years post world cup.

Actually no idea. I would be surprised if they didn't have crews on deck in case this is a huge DTS level success, but I've not heard anything about it!
I think Break Point has become my favourite of these because of the 1v1 aspect. I'm sure this will be done well but not sure how the format translates to team sports.

Have never got into any soccer ones for example.

I think Break Point has become my favourite of these because of the 1v1 aspect. I'm sure this will be done well but not sure how the format translates to team sports.

Have never got into any soccer ones for example.
Just be glad that Amazon didn't get the rights. All or Nothing is an absolute stinker of a format that they've replicated across NFL, Football, Ice Hockey and Rugby with the ABs.

Netflix generally churns out better stuff, although not sure how they will do with team stuff. Sunderland til I Die on Netflix is a tragic masterpiece but not produced by Netflix

I think it more a few aspects.
1. With Johnny gone there is a transition in the sense your main pivotal player is gone. So it important to maintain the leadership for a while longer.
2. Stats show our lineout (as is case at Munster too) is significantly worst without POM than with him. So with a new 10 it is important to try keep other areas consistent. Like we don't need Crowley or whoever to be playing and settling while set piece is struggling.
3. As you stated Farrell can't afford to just loose Sexton (and Earls who was very influential off the field) and then chop POM who is the heartbeat of the pack in 1 cycle.

4. Also as said we don't need too much change and the RWC ended in disappointment and failure effectively as targets were not met, so it is vital we get back to winning ways in a tough schedule.
I think Hodnett deserves a go for Munster and Frisch as the back up 13 BUT equally we can't afford to throw alot of new faces in. I would hope though that there is a few integrated over the next 2 or 3 windows.
Also to note IRFU depends on a Top 2 6 Nations finish financially too so there is no "Gimme" windows as there is consequences also. After all it is a results based industry

Encouraging signs yesterday insofar as a few lads who'd looked out of form or haven't played much had good games. Furlong, VdF, Doris, POM, Henshaw and Lowe all looking good.

It also showed that we're at least two years before we can build a game plan with the 10 as a key key figure. Byrne was very good but had bad moments and Crowley was pretty poor but had exceptional moments, Prendergast isn't physically ready yet either.

I think the starting XV very nearly picks itself but the bench is quite interesting.

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, POM, VdF, Doris, JGP, Crowley, Lowe, Aki/Henshaw, Ringrose, Nash, Keenan

Aki probably gets it although I think both of them at their best Henshaw is the better 12.

I think then there's a likely bench and a rogue enough one:

Kelleher, Loughman, Bealham, McCarthy, Conan/Timoney, Casey, Byrne, Aki/Henshaw

OR

Kelleher, Loughman, Bealham, McCarthy, Baird, Conan/Timoney, Casey, Frawley

I think with both Frawley and Crowley able to play 12 and 15, Aki and Henshae able to cover 13 and Ringrose and Keenan able to cover wing a 6/2 is very tempting.

Bringing Joe, Baird and Conan or Timoney on together at 60 minutes would be the most impact we've had off the bench since Joe Schmidt used to bring Beirne on at that time.

I think Frawley is 22 and Crowley 10. Byrne either gets 10 or nothing.
I think Murray stays 21 too as it they physical style AF wants around 65mins.

Conan on form is reserve backrow but he not a good 6 and I.hate Doris moving from 8

I think Frawley is 22 and Crowley 10. Byrne either gets 10 or nothing.
Byrne has been far better than Frawley at 10 this season. He had a bad cameo v Ulster but no worse than Frawley was v Sale. I'd be far more comfortable with HB playing significant minutes than Frawley.
I think Murray stays 21 too as it they physical style AF wants around 65mins.

If Murray stays I'll be really ****** off and I'm saying that as an active Craig Casey h8er. Murray and Healy should both be in that squad as back ups. Not the second best in their positions this season by a margin.

Conan on form is reserve backrow but he not a good 6 and I.hate Doris moving from 8
Conan got motm at 6 v Munster in November? Timoney is definitely putting his hand up for that shirt though, especially if we go for a 6/2 having a 7 would be preferable.

Byrne has been far better than Frawley at 10 this season. He had a bad cameo v Ulster but no worse than Frawley was v Sale. I'd be far more comfortable with HB playing significant minutes than Frawley.

If Murray stays I'll be really ****** off and I'm saying that as an active Craig Casey h8er. Murray and Healy should both be in that squad as back ups. Not the second best in their positions this season by a margin.

Conan got motm at 6 v Munster in November? Timoney is definitely putting his hand up for that shirt though, especially if we go for a 6/2 having a 7 would be preferable.
I'll start at top.
Byrne the better 10 but Frawley being pushed through and versatility is key there.

I'm not disagreeing on Murray and his form hasn't been good just think the physical side is what AF will go for.

Conan got MOTM against us but big
difference between us in a por state and 6Nations. And I as a non Conan fan have said he is Leinsters form backrow post RWC. Just I hate Doris moving. Not fussed on either as both have been in form and earned spots.

It will be interesting to see is there a transition like regatds Healy, Murray and that too

I mentioned it in the England thread but do the Irish posters think that Dan Kelly might be of interest to Ireland after this year? since he is able to play for them again.

What's your 12 options like past Aki and Henshaw?

I mentioned it in the England thread but do the Irish posters think that Dan Kelly might be of interest to Ireland after this year? since he is able to play for them again.

What's your 12 options like past Aki and Henshaw?
He'd probably have to really want to leave Tigers to do it. I think he'd be behind those two, McCloskey, Osborne and Frawley and would likely have Crowley to contend with in future if Prendergast or HB become viable starting 10 options.

It'd be a big gamble for him because I don't think he gets a start for any province at the moment, ousting Nankivell at Munster is his best hope. Ulster he'd be clear second choice, Connacht he'll have Aki and then two strong centres are coming through from the u20s and Leinster he'd be starting out in the weakest URC sides.

He'd probably have to really want to leave Tigers to do it. I think he'd be behind those two, McCloskey, Osborne and Frawley and would likely have Crowley to contend with in future if Prendergast or HB become viable starting 10 options.

It'd be a big gamble for him because I don't think he gets a start for any province at the moment, ousting Nankivell at Munster is his best hope. Ulster he'd be clear second choice, Connacht he'll have Aki and then two strong centres are coming through from the u20s and Leinster he'd be starting out in the weakest URC sides.
Ok that's good because before his injury he was the form England 12 so I'm hoping he does stay

Latest posts