• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bonus point system for 6 nations?

Not a fan off the idea.
Especially when the better teams play crap against the smaller nations and get a bonus point for it.

The only bonus point that has my blessing is the losing by less than 7 points one, but even that... It ruins the tradition of Six Nations

The only bonus point that has my blessing is the losing by less than 7 points one, but even that... It ruins the tradition of Six Nations

To be fair, the tradition of the 'Six Nations' is only a little over a decade old

:D

Of all people I didn't expect you to point out a technicality in my post ;)

Let me re-phrase: The tradition of the Six Nations, formerly known as Five Nations and Home Nations ;)

The 6N is fine. 3N could use a bit of work, mostly stop with the 3 games against each opponent. Hopefully with the addition of Argentina it could come down to 2 games (home and away) again. TBH I wouldn't mind the inclusion of the Island sides and only playing each other once as per the 6N but there isn't the same amount of money on offer for those fixtures I guess.

A Southern Hemisphere 6 Nations would be amazing but then it should be like the NH 6 Nations (single-robin)

The countries I'd like to see in that competition are:

- South Africa
- New Zealand
- Australia
- Argentina
- Fiji
- Samoa/Tonga

Don't know which of the 2 to leave out since I'd prefer all of them but there's only 6 spots

That'd never happen - The big nations wouldn't offer any incentive to poach players if Fiji, Samoa and Tonga were given the opportunity to compete regularly in major competitions. All those potential All Blacks would actually play for their countries of origin.

The 6N is fine as it is. Its too short a tournament to have bonus points as they would impact quite badly.

As someone said earlier, it would the theoretically possible for a team to get a Grand Slam and still not win the Six Nations; unlikely, but mathematically possible. The most likely combination could be

► The Grand Slam team wins all five of their matches with no 4 try bonus.... 20 pts

► The 6N Winner wins four of their five matches with 4 try bonus point, and loses by 7 points or less in the match against the Grand Slam team....21 pts

Don't know which of the 2 to leave out since I'd prefer all of them but there's only 6 spots
South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Japan, Pacific Islands

Would be good tournament in 10-15 years but SANSAR wont allow it.

Latest posts