• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bonus point system for 6 nations?

scarlets-fan

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Scarlets
Does anyone else think it may be a good idea to have the same bonus point system as the leagues for the six nations? The world cup does it as well, why not the six nations?

Don't know if it's been talked about before but I think it will improve the tournament.

Only statistical problem with it is that a team could get a grand slam and not win the tournament. haha

In a competition that is as short as the Six Nations (single-robin with 6 team) it would definitely kill the tournament. Winning 2 matches with 4 tries or more will almost definitely result in winning the tournament.

I do like the idea of the losing bonuspoint being introduced where you get 1 point for finishing within 7 points or less

As Ezequiel said - losing bonus point could work (Italy deserve something for their game on the weekend, and Scotland last year losing in the last few minutes twice :p ) but in reality it's fine as it is

Why fix something that's not broken?

Because in rugby, all the organisers seem obsessed with crappy bonus-point and playoff systems to mangle and deface good tournament into shadows of their former selves...

Premiership/Celtic/Top 14 - All have playoffs and bonus point systems. Win the most games, don't finish 2nd. Finish 3rd, win the ***le. ********.
RFU cup - Anglo-Welsh & Anglo-Irish cups. Both are complete Mickey mouse competitions.
Super 14 - SupeRugby pools and playoffs.
Tri-Nations - Play each other a bazillion times. New Zealand win anyway.

I don't give it very long before the HEC and Six Nations are also ruined.

Bonus Point system would kill tournament.
Like if You introduced that they'd have to rethink whole fixtures scenario because teams don't have same amount of home/away games

I don't give it very long before[strike] the HEC and[/strike] Six Nations are also ruined.

I just remembered, the HEC is ruined because of the Bonus Points system. Draw an Italian, claim halfway to qualification by default.

Every year you hear ideas like these:

- Bonus points
- Promotion/relegation
- Home and Away games (Round-robin)

Every year people don't seem to understand that implementing one of these rules will kill the history and value this tournament has.

Losing bonus point could work. Hey, its better than adrian charles hosting the six nations finale on a stage with simon cowell judging, while spotlights surrond the team and voting lines are now closed......

You don't need bonus points in the 6N.

It may just be me, but I don't think the eventual table means anything at all. OK, it means a little to the winners, but not that much.

The first thing everybody wants is to win a Grand Slam. The reason they want the GS so badly is because it means you're definitely the best side in Europe, and you've just emerged victorious from some of the most intense rivalries around.

I remember back to when England were good. We were the best team in 1999, but fell at the last hurdle to Wales and missed out on a Grand Slam. Scotland, who were the same shite team they've been for 15 years, won the tournament. But no one cared.

2000 we then lost to that shite Scotland team in game 5 to miss out on the GS again. We won the tournament, but no one cared, especially England because we'd just lost to a **** team.

2001 foot and mouth ****** us around; we had to wait to win the GS in the Autumn and again lost out. We won the tournament again, but no one cared, especially England because we'd just lost to a **** team.

2002 a world class French side beat a world class England side to the GS.

2003 a world class England side finally got there and walloped everyone.

Point being - in 5 tournaments and 24 5/6 nations matches, England had won 20 of them. But all we'd got to show for it was one Grand Slam, and the great era of English dominance is underlined only by that one lone 6N achievement. Compare that to Carling's side who won a number of Grand Slams.

Put my memory since then into place - I remember who won in 2005, 2008, 2009 & 2010 because they were Grand Slam years. Every other year - I couldn't give a flying **** who won. I'm guessing the French and Irish probably shared it about. Bonus points wouldn't make a shred of difference to that.

2001 foot and mouth ****** us around; we had to wait to win the GS in the Autumn and again lost out. We won the tournament again, but no one cared, especially England because we'd just lost to a **** team.
Did Keith Wood score the try in that one? I was there in the old North Terrace. A great day :)

Every year you hear ideas like these:

- Bonus points
- Promotion/relegation
- Home and Away games (Round-robin)

Every year people don't seem to understand that implementing one of these rules will kill the history and value this tournament has.

I agree 100%

Bonus Points would throw a wrench in such a small tournament.

Home and Away games would clog up whats already a busy schedule for these teams, five matches already in the 6N with Spring and Fall tours and a World Cup every four years, British and Irish Lions tours, Games and tournaments with the "A" teams, I think the international scene is full enough for the 6N countries.

Promotion and Relegation, For the most part this is a moot point at the moment, Georgia and to a lesser extent Russia are growing rugby nations but they both have a way to go before they can consistently beat even Italy. Portugal is stable as a high third tier or very low second tier team, and Romania is trying to slow down the decline of the game in their country to mixed success. Spain is usually able to beat the newly promoted team of the ENC division 1 and everyone else can't even begin to threaten. A good example is Georgia beating newly promoted Ukraine 62-3 last weekend.

Last edited:
That is nice and all but the main reason people don't want to see things change (I mean the real rugby-buffs) is because it's tradition. The Six Nations (and previously 5 Nations) is a tournament with a single-robin system, no bonus points and it has been like that for decades.

Changing the whole format would ruin the life-long tradition that this tournament has, besides it being impossible with the stocked up calender nowadays.

No thanks, leave the Six Nations alone. It's fine as it is. Why try to 'fix' something that can't be fixed?

Latest posts