• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] 🇫🇷 vs 🇮🇹

I was always under the impression when I played, you could not move during a penalty - I stand (excuse the pun) to be corrected
Sanction is another penalty 10 metres further on. Thought the ref was pretty decent in general though.

Hopefully all the bores will go away, Italy are genuinely building, their U20s beat France this weekend , and only lost to Ireland in the last few minutes. Apart from Ireland, they will give all the teams this year a good contest and will not be rolled over by a large margin. Rugby needs Italy, otherwise the game will wither away.

On France, I think the home world cup has had a massive psychological impact on the team, they truly believed they were destined to win.

England went out in flames in their own WC and then got the Grand Slam. France are now, probably, looking for the same change that caused that bounce back.

Halcyon days.

Yeah, shot clock should be reset or extra 30 seconds if the ball falls off.

You made the observations I think you should be able to connect the dots yourself.
5D8842EF-0879-4B5D-B781-1A1C242EAFBE.gif

Yes. I have no problem with the shot clock but in regard to the ball falling off the tee, I think it should be reset. No one intentionally makes that happen and it shouldn't be to the detriment of the kicker.
The ball was the responsability of the kicker. He made a mistake, why should they reset the clock?

gotta love Dupont playing on a CFL turf field to prepare for the bronze medal they will win with or without him so that France can draw with Italy.

i would say because the french players came up like they were going to charge which put some more pressure on the kicker
I doubt he noticed, but you've got a point. Although since the world cup quarter final against South Africa, we know you're allowed to charge 5 seconds before the kicker even moves. 😁

gotta love Dupont playing on a CFL turf field to prepare for the bronze medal they will win with or without him so that France can draw with Italy.
Don't get me started.

Still, it is not a bad thing they learn how to play without him. I just wish it wasn't so painful to watch...

A french player clearly starts to charge as he is running up, which should've restarted the clock.
Also let's be real the waterboy in front of the kicker was also clearly put to help with pressure, he was even pointing at his watch and not even paying attention to his players but the kicker.

I doubt he noticed, but you've got a point. Although since the world cup quarter final against South Africa, we know you're allowed to charge 5 seconds before the kicker even moves. 😁

Difference between a conversion which is allowed to charge and penalty with no charge downs. (Once the shot clock runs out the play is live)

A french player clearly starts to charge as he is running up, which should've restarted the clock.
Also let's be real the waterboy in front of the kicker was also clearly put to help with pressure, he was even pointing at his watch and not even paying attention to his players but the kicker.
Also agree with this. Should have been retaken.

Another player does a mini charge and stops in order to distract also.

Also agree with this. Should have been retaken.

Another player does a mini charge and stops in order to distract also.
I don't think it was intentional. He was even stopped by another player when he realized what was going on. But yeah, I agree this was not allowed.

Difference between a conversion which is allowed to charge and penalty with no charge downs. (Once the shot clock runs out the play is live)
I mean with a pk once the 60 seconds is up it's a scrum so there is no reason for the defending team to chase even if they think time is up.

Personally I was fine with them coming forward when the ball fell over cause it was pretty immaterial. Them charging when the ball was kicked, you have to stand still remember, should have been a 10m move up.

However with the ball moving forward, that's on you as the kicking team. If you are going to run the clock down that's the risk you take.

I don't think that was a try
Just watching now (flu)
Why not?
It goes forward off his head, so it's not a knock-on in the first place, and then he regathers without it hitting the floor or another player, so even if it was forwards off hands, it still wouldn't be a knock on.
Once on the floor, he's allowed to place the ball.

As for the final penalty - ball falling over is the kicker's fault - even if there was wind, without it, it's a pretty unforgivable fault. I see no reason why that should reset the shot clock (which I personally think should be 60 seconds, whether penalty or conversion - actually, I see no reason why it can't be 30 seconds, starting with the arrival of the tee - but that's a separate issue).
However, France charging like that should mean a new penalty further forwards.

Last edited:

Latest posts