• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Ireland vs Scotland - 16/03/24

I honestly think that if Scotland were ever going to win it this year was their chance. Had good opportunities to win 5/5 but they just still have too many areas of fragility.

And now Scotland will settle into their comfortable 3rd/4th a position they have made thier own of late.

Scotland have some great players, not really sure I see any progress at all though, just steady good not great.
This was my views for last few months as I have said. Great pool yet seem happy to settle for a 4th or so and nearly so

Feel like will stay yellow for low degree of danger.
Just had a quick Google, these are the criteria for low degree of danger:

• Indirect contact
• Low force
• Low speed
• Passive
• No leading head / shoulder / forearm

I guess you could say it was passive, I wouldn't say that any of the others apply. Is one criterion only enough for the low degree tariff to apply?

Just had a quick Google, these are the criteria for low degree of danger:

• Indirect contact
• Low force
• Low speed
• Passive
• No leading head / shoulder / forearm

I guess you could say it was passive, I wouldn't say that any of the others apply. Is one criterion only enough for the low degree tariff to apply?
I would also say low speed and force they like stuttered into each other.

This was my views for last few months as I have said. Great pool yet seem happy to settle for a 4th or so and nearly so
Odd one, this year was a championship they should of had a real chance to compete but defaulted to same old scotland. Is it gregor? Maybe player depth? Front row depth isnt great I guess.

Fair play Scotland - didn't roll over regardless of the pressure. Poor game though overall.

Don't fancy Ireland's chances in SA.

Congratulations Ireland best team in the tournament. It does feel this year a bit of a case of being the best of a bad bunch. I'm not sure how they'll go in SA but it will be a much better indication of where they are-I think they've maybe dropped off a bit overall tbh.

Another missed opportunity for Scotland. They'll continually get up for a final against England but I'm now convinced they will never win 5/5 or 4/5 with a shot of winning a 6N, before the inevitable drop off comes from the lack of depth coming through.

Not really sure where gregor goes from here... Not really been an improvement from vern cotter who got scotland back to respectability, but no real progress, seems very stale. Are scotland fans happy with it? Its for sure better than where they were before cotter.

Not really sure where gregor goes from here... Not really been an improvement from vern cotter who got scotland back to respectability, but no real progress, seems very stale. Are scotland fans happy with it? Its for sure better than where they were before cotter.
I'd rather have Townsend over Cotter

Finn was pretty classy post match interview, mind you Messi wouldn't make mistakes from the restart like he did so probably needed humbling, very enjoyable game for the neutral.

Did DVM always have the wheels he has now, really showed chasing Ring piece down, not sure if he is fully fit or not tbf but great foot race.

Next year I think Scotland should let England win and then see if they win all the rest using that pain and humiliation.

They are beating England regularly under Townsend that they weren't under Cotter. There are no other criteria.

They are beating England regularly under Townsend that they weren't under Cotter. There are no other criteria.
Fair enough, would argue that a lot of that is England having a very dodgy patch. I wouldnt even blame fans for being fine with the status quo. To be honest, who are the other options? Not many and being reliable, good, not great is far funner as a fan than being trash like the frank hadden years.

Is there any room to improve with the current resources?
Scotland have 2 teams where they can grow their own players, and they don't limit selection to "play on Scotland to play for Scotland" so they select the very best players available to them.
Man for man, how many Scottish players make the Irish, French or English teams?

I think Cotter returned respectability, Townsend has installed some expectations, but the 15 has areas of frank weakness, let alone the 23 or the injury replacements.
Scotland are beating the teams they should beat, and occasionally beating teams who ought to bee better than them, whilst mostly keeping things respectable against top opposition.

For me, Scotland are currently hitting above their level, in terms of talent across the 23 (or more realistically, 36) players.

Ireland have shown that it can be done with lesser resources than an England or France (or South Africa or New Zealand), but Ireland are absolutely maximising their talent, identification and development of future talent, whilst having way more resources than the SRU.

IMO, for Scotland to improve from here, it's that youth identification and development that needs the investment, including somewhere to play (2 pro teams just isn't enough, but there's not really anywhere to add a 3rd).
Improve the level of rugby below the best dozen or so players, and have a rising tide lifting all boats.
Of course, and IRFU style governmental assistance would help s well (IIRC not specifically IRFU, but Irish sporting bodies).

Fair enough, would argue that a lot of that is England having a very dodgy patch. I wouldnt even blame fans for being fine with the status quo. To be honest, who are the other options? Not many and being reliable, good, not great is far funner as a fan than being trash like the frank hadden years.
For 8 years?

Latest posts