English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 10.02.15.png

Probably the perfect game first up for our young squad. There would have been more pressure to win if it were Italy, and realistically Fra, Ire and Eng are too strong for us atm, especially in the first game.

Not taking Scotland lightly though, they gave us a pasting last year in Murrayfield. Realistically, they're the favourites going into this game, but our record against them in Cardiff is excellent, so I have some hope.

Cant see anything other than a Scottish win by 20+...

Best Wales can hope for is a stubborn 60, see some patterns of play and defensively eager to get stuck in. Gatland does make his teams hard to beat, but as he found out pre world cup, the kids coming through arent the calibre of those bowing out.

The one caveat I'd add, is that Scotland are talking about winning a championship, they are heavy favourites and therefore under pressure. If they come here too nervy, or overly cocky they might struggle. This game could break their season, if they stuff it up. But it will need to be stuffed up by Scotland.

Best Wales can hope for is a stubborn 60, see some patterns of play and defensively eager to get stuck in. Gatland does make his teams hard to beat, but as he found out pre world cup, the kids coming through arent the calibre of those bowing out.

The one caveat I'd add, is that Scotland are talking about winning a championship, they are heavy favourites and therefore under pressure. If they come here too nervy, or overly cocky they might struggle. This game could break their season, if they stuff it up. But it will need to be stuffed up by Scotland.
Scotland won't beat Ireland or France. Based on selection I can't see any real improvement that makes me think they will suddenly win.

I won't be shocked by a 20 + point loss but my money is on it being a close game, 5-12 points something like that. I'll hold back from putting my balls completely on the line until I see the team.

Scotland won't beat Ireland or France. Based on selection I can't see any real improvement that makes me think they will suddenly win.
I'm not sure you know...

If Scotland dispatch of Wales, tails up knowing they have 2 home games. Granted France will be tough, but they have tasted Murrayfield defeat, and it will be Scotlands RWC final.

If the French game goes their way, that'll be 4 wins for Scotland, with Ireland last up being a step too far.

So my estimation is Scotland 4 wins, or 1 win, depending on the Wales result.

I won't be shocked by a 20 + point loss but my money is on it being a close game, 5-12 points something like that. I'll hold back from putting my balls completely on the line until I see the team.
We know the Scottish lineup, 40 caps per man average, plenty of experience up front, and weapons behind. Theres no combination of Welsh players that can beat Scotland IMO, unless Scotland underperform heavily

We know the Scottish lineup, 40 caps per man average, plenty of experience up front, and weapons behind. Theres no combination of Welsh players that can beat Scotland IMO, unless Scotland underperform heavily
Home game, not much pressure, bit of luck with the ref etc etc. I agree with you but as you say there's a good chance we have a decent-ish hour and are within 7 points or so of Scotland with 20 to go. I tend to back us in those scenarios at home but as I say a lot will come down to how our set piece is holding up.

Home game, not much pressure, bit of luck with the ref etc etc. I agree with you but as you say there's a good chance we have a decent-ish hour and are within 7 points or so of Scotland with 20 to go. I tend to back us in those scenarios at home but as I say a lot will come down to how our set piece is holding up.
I agree with your assessment of the game, on 60 there might not be much in it...

But then I look at potential Welsh bench and I shudder!!!!

I agree with your assessment of the game, on 60 there might not be much in it...

But then I look at potential Welsh bench and I shudder!!!!
Brown, Domachowski and Basham can do some damage in the loose. Beard won't do much obviously but my money is on Lloyd on the bench and he can do something out of nothing. Stop being such a Debbie downer.

Brown, Domachowski and Basham can do some damage in the loose. Beard won't do much obviously but my money is on Lloyd on the bench and he can do something out of nothing. Stop being such a Debbie downer.
Hahaha

I'm not a Debbie downer, I'm a realist.

Brown hasnt performed at this level, despite 28 caps and being 28. Hes reaching his peak made of glass.
Domachowski I like, but is still young, and learning. He certainly struggled in a lot of his int caps so far, carded, scrum pens, missed tackles.
Basham is lightweight, and hasnt even been consistent at the dragons this season.

What about these 3 players do you think can cause damage? They have never caused damage at int level previously.

there are young players entering a team losing games regularly, while learning their craft at clubs losing all their games.

Hahaha

I'm not a Debbie downer, I'm a realist.

Brown hasnt performed at this level, despite 28 caps and being 28. Hes reaching his peak made of glass.
Domachowski I like, but is still young, and learning. He certainly struggled in a lot of his int caps so far, carded, scrum pens, missed tackles.
Basham is lightweight, and hasnt even been consistent at the dragons this season.

What about these 3 players do you think can cause damage? They have never caused damage at int level previously.

there are young players entering a team losing games regularly, while learning their craft at clubs losing all their games.
Basham may be undersized but I disagree with an assessment you made of him that he is underpowered, he hits well above his weight and he showed that most recently in the WC warm up matches (the Farrell red card spring to mind as that was a typical Basham 20- 30 yard carry) I totally accept that something seems to be up with him at the moment and let's face it there's no gurentee he makes the 23 (he probably won't actually)

Brown is definitely more hope than anything but my worry doesn't come from his carrying or him not making us yards it's more set piece orientated and whether he can stay on the field longer then 5 mins.

Domachowski is just the fact he's a big lump and where's his heart of his sleeve. I expect some kind of impact from him off the bench (hopefully not getting binned)

But yeah there's a lot of hope in there but what can I say, I've had a few.

Basham may be undersized but I disagree with an assessment you made of him that he is underpowered, he hits well above his weight and he showed that most recently in the WC warm up matches (the Farrell red card spring to mind as that was a typical Basham 20- 30 yard carry) I totally accept that something seems to be up with him at the moment and let's face it there's no gurentee he makes the 23 (he probably won't actually)

Brown is definitely more hope than anything but my worry doesn't come from his carrying or him not making us yards it's more set piece orientated and whether he can stay on the field longer then 5 mins.

Domachowski is just the fact he's a big lump and where's his heart of his sleeve. I expect some kind of impact from him off the bench (hopefully not getting binned)

But yeah there's a lot of hope in there but what can I say, I've had a few.
And come Friday night, when I'm watching France and Ireland battle it out, after I've sunk a few whiskeys I'll be right there with you, believing Brown can reignite his 2018 form, Domachoswki can grow a brain, and that Cai Evan's could come off the bench, invoke the spirit of his dad and score 3 pens and 2 drop goals for a 15 points to nil final quarter to pip Scotland by 8 points...

And come Friday night, when I'm watching France and Ireland battle it out, after I've sunk a few whiskeys I'll be right there with you, believing Brown can reignite his 2018 form, Domachoswki can grow a brain, and that Cai Evan's could come off the bench, invoke the spirit of his dad and score 3 pens and 2 drop goals for a 15 points to nil final quarter to pip Scotland by 8 points...
Who do you want to see play 15?

Scotland haven't won at the Millenium/Principality since the ice age. That dead rubber win at an empty Scarlets park during COVID doesn't count. I think Wales at home (in that packed stadium) get more of a 16th man than any other home nation.

On paper the experienced and settled Scottish 23 should edge it but I won't deny that I'm concerned about this one. A Wales win wouldn't surprise me and if Jac Morgan was playing I'd definitely have Wales down as favourites. Which Scotland team will turn up probably depends on how good/bad a day Russell has at the office. I just hope Rob Howley has had enough time to ruin the Welsh attack.

Last edited:
Scotland haven't won at the Millenium/Principality since the ice age. That dead rubber win at an empty Scarlets park during COVID doesn't count. I think Wales at home (in that packed stadium) get more of a 16th man than any other home nation.

On paper the experienced and settled Scottish 23 should edge it but I won't deny that I'm concerned about this one. A Wales win wouldn't surprise me and if Jac Morgan was playing I'd definitely have Wales down as favourites. Which Scotland team will turn up probably depends on how good/bad a day Russell has at the office. I just hope Rob Howley has had enough time to ruin the Welsh attack.
Scotland hadn't won at Twickenham for over 30 years until recently, twice, anything can happen

Go Scotland!!

Scotland hadn't won at Twickenham for over 30 years until recently, twice, anything can happen

Go Scotland!!

Of course anything can happen and Scotland are more than capable of winning. I'm just not convinced that we're as nailed on to win as some seem to be suggesting.

Latest posts